Fall 2017 Theatre and Performance Studies PhDs

lemonboo

Email this morning from Maryland informing me that decisions will be finalized this week, and notifications should be soon to follow.  I don't think that necessarily applies to anyone else actively posting in the thread, but it might be helpful information for potential lurkers.

On 2/26/2017 at 0:37 PM, scurvs22 said:

Sorry to the bearer of bad news for all the Stanford hopefuls: I was at an interview this weekend and two people I met were at Stanford's interview last weekend. There were 9 people invited out for 3 spots. The Stanford ship has sailed.  Fingers crossed for all!

Just received my official rejection from Stanford (form email pointing me to website). Thanks to @scurvs22 for the heads up so it was a little easier to bear.

Well, damn. When I searched the results page under theater rather than theatre, I saw that Brown sent out rejections on 3/1. Anyone on this board hear from them one way or another? My email is doing something weird. It sent my NW rejection to a spam folder and want to make sure I'm not missing something from Brown.

17 hours ago, MilesToGo said:

@Gamb1t - About Maryland - Decisions as in - were interviews out already? Any idea?

Based on previous results posted here, it seems they don't typically conduct interviews.  However, my communication with Dr. Lee was limited to her mentioning that decisions are being finalized this week, with notifications immediately following. I suppose that doesn't necessarily rule out interviews.  However, their Spring Break is the same week as mine (March 20-24), and it seems like that would be incredibly inconvenient for a department that still wants to conduct interviews.

I received my acceptance letter today from Villanova.  I was not interviewed for an Assistantship/Fellowship, though, so I doubt that offer will be one that I am able to consider very seriously.  Regardless, I just wanted to provide that info for anyone that might benefit from it.

Thanks, Gamb1t. I applied to Maryland and was wondering why I hadn't heard back yet... to my knowledge they don't always interview people. I know at least one who got in and never had an interview with them. But, knowing they're making decisions and announcements within the next week is very helpful. Thank you for posting (also, Gambit was my favorite of the X-Men)

Email from Dr. Lee at Maryland (rejection) and an email from Dr. Araneo at Brooklyn College (acceptance).  I know @miles2go was asking about Maryland.  My website status hasn't changed, but she said that should be reflected soon.  Seems they have their candidates now and have notified them.

Heard from Brown yesterday, standard rejection via form letter on website. Not too surprised. 

I'm still anxiously awaiting any news from CUNY Grad Center after having interviewed with them. And NYU is supposed to notify soon. Anyone heard anything?

Also, a humorous observation I just made in regards to my communication with Brooklyn College...

Dr. Araneo, the interim head of the Theatre History program, is emailing me from an @NYU.edu email address... on behalf of a CUNY school.  After looking into it, I learned she is on the faculty of NYU-Tisch but is currently a visiting instructor at CUNY Brooklyn.  Regardless, it still amused me. 

9 hours ago, humbert said:

Heard from Brown yesterday, standard rejection via form letter on website. Not too surprised. 

I'm still anxiously awaiting any news from CUNY Grad Center after having interviewed with them. And NYU is supposed to notify soon. Anyone heard anything?

Hi! Did you apply MA degree at NYU? I apply MA degree in Performance Studies at NYU, and I had an interview with them about two days ago. They told me they will make the final decision soon. 

Edited by XTgo

@XTgo I only applied for the PhD since the MA wasn't funded. My hopes aren't high for NYU because I went to an informational session about the MA/PhD and it was heavily implied (though not directly said) that you won't get into the PhD program if you didn't get your MA at NYU. 

Fingers crossed for you though! It sounds like an excellent MA program

My Ohio State decision came out today via email.  I don't recall any of you all waiting on that one, but I wanted to add it to the string.

Hey everybody! I just found out about this site and I am so thankful it exists.

I'm currently deciding between three M.A. programs: WashU, Ohio State, and Maryland. I'm wondering if anyone got their M.A. via any of these programs or what you know about them in terms of academic reputation. I'm leaning towards WashU, due to the interdisciplinary focus of the program, but have received an amazing funding package from Ohio State. Any advice?

Best of luck to everyone waiting on admissions decisions and deciding on where they are going to attend!

@popbowiereed I am spending the entire day at the OSU campus next Wednesday.  They have put together quite an itinerary for my visit.  I will be glad to let you know how that goes when I get back home.  I'll be visiting them, Brooklyn, Binghamton, and UMKC. 

Also, congrats on Maryland.  I was very disappointed to receive their rejection.  Their rejection is actually the only reason I'll be visiting OSU.

@Gamb1t

I am visiting Ohio State next Monday and WashU on Thursday and Friday. Funding seems to be somewhat up in the air regarding Maryland. Dr. Lee hopes to have good news for me this week, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Hey guys!

sorry for the delay, I was away in the USA!

NW accepted me and I went for a visit - quite lovely actually.

So for now, I ma torn between three programs (this is actually the first 1st world problem I've ever had, and I hate that I am coming one of those snobby people haha)

This said, I am back, and the faith is back.

KTF everyone, and I do hope you're all happy with ur results. If they didn't let you in, you're better off without them!! <3 <3

@KTF87 Congrats!  Personally, I don't know if I could turn down an offer from Northwestern.  Unless, of course, there were crazy funding/situational circumstances elsewhere. 

Also, I wanted to say that Dr. Gharavi from Arizona State also reached out to me via email today.  Their deadline wasn't until 3/1, but it looks like their MA decisions are coming out rather quickly.  No word on funding options, and the website status hasn't updated yet.  We are scheduling a phone discussion, and he indicated that the web statuses should be updated soon to reflect admission decisions.  Again, I don't recall that any of you were awaiting decisions from there, but it's another one for the lurkers and the search history.

@KTF87

I did my undergraduate degree in Performance Studies at Northwestern. The faculty are simply incredible scholars, researchers, writers, artists, and teachers. Having worked with them directly, I definitely have nothing but positive things to say! Congrats on getting in and good luck as you make your decision.

16 hours ago, popbowiereed said:

@KTF87

I did my undergraduate degree in Performance Studies at Northwestern. The faculty are simply incredible scholars, researchers, writers, artists, and teachers. Having worked with them directly, I definitely have nothing but positive things to say! Congrats on getting in and good luck as you make your decision.

Thanks alot!! :D:D
what about your endeavors? got into the programs u wanted?

@KTF87

I have received excellent offers for the MA programs at Bowling Green, Ohio State, Washington University in St. Louis, and Maryland. I've visited both BG and OSU and had great visits at both schools. I'm off to St. Louis tomorrow and Maryland (via Baltimore) on Monday. Hope I can make an informed decision soon after the last visit.

@popbowiereed I think I was basically shadowing your visit schedule, geographically, at least.  I started off Monday in NY visiting a couple of places, then made my way down to OSU for a visit yesterday.  I actually ended my trip today in Kansas City visiting UM-KC.  All of the visits were informative and certainly gave me a lot to think about.  It was interesting visiting several campuses that were all quite different in both their size, location, and culture.  I certainly have my preferences among them, but since funding and financial aid info hasn't been finalized from everyone yet, I can't really weight it all properly as of yet.  Since Illinois Urbana-Champaign had such a late deadline (3/15), I am still waiting on any correspondence from them at all.  That could throw a wrench into everything, depending on how that turns out.

I am still incredibly jealous of your Maryland trip, though.  Hopefully your WashU visit went well, too.  Have safe travels.