Spanish Fall 2017

Yak1030

So what programs has everyone applied to this season?

I've applied to 8 programs as of now. 5 masters programs in hispanic linguistics, 2 general Spanish masters programs, and 1 program in second language acquisition. 

I'm so nervous for admissions decisions.

Edited by Yak1030

Buena suerte a vos, también. :) I'm finishing up my undergrad degree from a mid-sized public school in Arkansas. I didn't apply to any PhD programs because I just don't think I'm qualified at this point. I guess what worries me the most is my GRE scores...I scored a 157/154/4.5, and that was the only time I had taken it. I'm hoping my LORs, SOPs, and writing samples will save me. Also, my GPA is 3.97, and I've spent 2 semesters abroad (in Spain and Argentina), and will be spending my final semester in Colombia this Spring.

I recommend applying to PhD programs as well, they are usually funded but maybe your MA programs are funded also? Also, an MA only lasts a couple of years so you'll have to re-apply really soon. Don't sell yourself short. I was "not qualified" and was accepted into 5/9 programs, including a top-20 PhD program where I am currently. Your GRE scores are acceptable, that won't hurt you. Your SOP and Writing Samples rule.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the MA programs are funded as well. Most of the universities I applied to have PhD programs as well as the MA, with some having implied admission to the PhD program upon completion of the masters. I just didn't apply to any "only-PhD" programs.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all! 

I will be graduating with my bachelors from a small school in VA in May. I have applied to 9 programs: UVA, UNC Chapel Hill, Ohio State, Indiana, University of Kentucky, Tulane, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, and Emory. 

I have already heard back from Ohio and UVA- accepted to both!!!! Ohio even wants to give me a scholarship to exempt me from teaching. 

When does everyone think we will hear back from others? I am incredibly surprised as I did not think I was qualified enough to be accepted into a PhD program. But clearly I was wrong! I never thought in a million years I would get in to UVA. 

I hope everyone else has received good news!!

Best of luck! 

11 hours ago, Spanport said:

Hello all! 

I will be graduating with my bachelors from a small school in VA in May. I have applied to 9 programs: UVA, UNC Chapel Hill, Ohio State, Indiana, University of Kentucky, Tulane, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, and Emory. 

I have already heard back from Ohio and UVA- accepted to both!!!! Ohio even wants to give me a scholarship to exempt me from teaching. 

When does everyone think we will hear back from others? I am incredibly surprised as I did not think I was qualified enough to be accepted into a PhD program. But clearly I was wrong! I never thought in a million years I would get in to UVA. 

I hope everyone else has received good news!!

Best of luck! 

Congrats! Are these all for MA or PhD or a mix of both? It must be such a great feeling to have those offers solidifies for you! Are they general programs, lit, linguistics, etc? 

I haven't heard anything yet but I applied to 6 programs. Currently finishing up at NCSU which is only a handful of miles from Chapel Hill, actually! 

(Also side note, I'm glad that language people are reaching out on here. I was beginning to feel a little lonely.)

1 hour ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

Congrats! Are these all for MA or PhD or a mix of both? It must be such a great feeling to have those offers solidifies for you! Are they general programs, lit, linguistics, etc? 

I haven't heard anything yet but I applied to 6 programs. Currently finishing up at NCSU which is only a handful of miles from Chapel Hill, actually! 

(Also side note, I'm glad that language people are reaching out on here. I was beginning to feel a little lonely.)

All 9 of the programs I applied to are PhD programs! Some of them, like U.Va. and Tulane, you apply directly to the PhD program but really you have to get your masters and then petition for PhD candidacy. 

All of my programs are Literature and Culturally focused! I want to focus on Latin America (especially the Caribbean) and conduct comparative research between the Spanish Americas and the Lusophone world. 

I hope others start posting more updates! Especially with Spanish and Portuguese, it can be hard to find peers on the same track. @scarvesandcardigans best of luck on your applications! Where did you apply if you don't mind me asking?

13 hours ago, Spanport said:

All 9 of the programs I applied to are PhD programs! Some of them, like U.Va. and Tulane, you apply directly to the PhD program but really you have to get your masters and then petition for PhD candidacy. 

All of my programs are Literature and Culturally focused! I want to focus on Latin America (especially the Caribbean) and conduct comparative research between the Spanish Americas and the Lusophone world. 

I hope others start posting more updates! Especially with Spanish and Portuguese, it can be hard to find peers on the same track. @scarvesandcardigans best of luck on your applications! Where did you apply if you don't mind me asking?

Ah okay, I gotcha. Your research sounds awesome! I haven't heard a lot from Portuguese students, but in the past Spanish students have huddled together in the forums as we wait for decisions. It's more comforting for sure, I think .

I applied to 6 programs this year - one of them is actually Indiana as well, but I'm looking toward Hispanic/Romance linguistics/bilingualism/SLA as (generalized) concentrations across programs. The others are Penn State, UT Austin, Georgetown, UC Berkeley, and Rutgers, from which I actually got an acceptance just a bit ago! I'll finish my MA in May here in NC and then move on to a doctoral program. I would be happy at any of these places, they are all so incredible!

Edited by scarvesandcardigans

On 1/22/2017 at 10:13 PM, scarvesandcardigans said:

How do you like NCSU? I'm applying there for the MA and then hopefully I can apply to PhD programs afterwards (as you're doing). I applied to some PhD programs this round but I'm feeling nervous and I'm starting to think that getting the MA first might be a better fit for me anyway. Any words of wisdom? 

Edited by erasingdinosaurs

2 hours ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

How do you like NCSU? I'm applying there for the MA and then hopefully I can apply to PhD programs afterwards (as you're doing). I applied to some PhD programs this round but I'm feeling nervous and I'm starting to think that getting the MA first might be a better fit for me anyway. Any words of wisdom? 

I'll PM you about NCSU specifically! I'll leave this for you and everyone else though - If you think that getting an MA first is the better option, I would definitely go for it. It can never hurt. I have used my time as an MA student at State to really solidify the research interests that I want to pursue in depth at the doctoral level, and work with professors to build a skill base in actually conducting quantitative (sometimes qualitative) research. If you get into a PhD program, that's awesome! Definitely something to celebrate! 

On 12/20/2016 at 4:17 PM, Yak1030 said:

So what programs has everyone applied to this season?

I've applied to 8 programs as of now. 5 masters programs in hispanic linguistics, 2 general Spanish masters programs, and 1 program in second language acquisition. 

I'm so nervous for admissions decisions.

good luck! i applied to 6 programs! until now i got an email for skype interview and nothing else!

Edited by Alejo33

50 minutes ago, Alejo33 said:

I applied to 6 programs and a receive an email for skype interview, anybody knows about that? how is it work?

That is a good sign! I just had a phone interview today, and usually faculty or your POIs will ask you more about your current research, maybe tell you things that they are working on in the department, so really up to date info, ask some questions about why you want to work with someone / attend the program. It doesn't have to be super formal but it doesn't hurt to present yourself well and have questions prepared for the faculty members as well. 

44 minutes ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

That is a good sign! I just had a phone interview today, and usually faculty or your POIs will ask you more about your current research, maybe tell you things that they are working on in the department, so really up to date info, ask some questions about why you want to work with someone / attend the program. It doesn't have to be super formal but it doesn't hurt to present yourself well and have questions prepared for the faculty members as well. 

Thank you very much! Good luck! I hope you get in!

9 hours ago, Spanport said:

Thanks @scarvesandcardigans! I'm sure your research is also awesome! 

How is is everyone holding up? Is there any sort of firm universal deadline for us to accept or decline offers of admission?

Hi! Yes, officially April 15th is the last day for students fo accept or reject an offer. Anyways, you can always ask your program! 

Hi there!
I have applied to 11 programs (no comments haha): U. of Virginia, U. of Arizona, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis, U. of Chicago, UT Austin, CUNY U. of Maryland and UNC Chapel Hill. So far I have been admitted to U.Va. and haven´t heard from the other programs.

Good luck guys!

1 hour ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Hi there!
I have applied to 11 programs (no comments haha): U. of Virginia, U. of Arizona, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis, U. of Chicago, UT Austin, CUNY U. of Maryland and UNC Chapel Hill. So far I have been admitted to U.Va. and haven´t heard from the other programs.

Good luck guys!

I applied to 6! only one skype interview so far! Good luck! 

So I've applied to University if Illinois Urbana-Champaign, IU, University of Iowa, University of Wyoming, Michigan State University, Western Michigan University, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. So far I have heard back from Michigan State and Wyoming. I had a skype interview with Michigan State, and they have offered me admission with an assistantship. I also have an interview tomorrow with Wyoming! 

Note: All are masters programs and most are concentrated in Hispanic linguistics 

Edited by Yak1030

30 minutes ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Has anyone been admitted to a program without an interview process? I'm curious what to expect :) 

You know, I've kind of been wondering the same thing. I think the interview process is the way they evaluate your Spanish-speaking skills (or English-speaking skills of you are an international student) so I imagine that most of the programs will require it. I could be wrong, though. 

Edited by Yak1030

25 minutes ago, Yak1030 said:

You know, I've kind of been wondering the same thing. I think the interview process is the way they evaluate your Spanish-speaking skills, so I imagine that most of the programs will require it. I could be wrong, though. 

In my experience I've never had a pre-admissions interview, but there are tons of programs, so that might just be luck of the draw. I know that at NCSU and UC Davis and Berkeley, at least when I applied, I had to send in a recording of me speaking about myself and various topics, and for the UC schools, I had to read a paragraph provided by them as well. 

I'm not sure if any schools do interviews for language programs, but I could be totally wrong and definitely welcome someone to say they had one, it would be great to know what they are like. 

36 minutes ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Has anyone been admitted to a program without an interview process? I'm curious what to expect :) 

I've had some admissions without interviews, but afterward there were usually some questions exchanged between me and a POI or the program director!

Edited by scarvesandcardigans