Spanish Fall 2017

Yak1030

29 minutes ago, Yak1030 said:

I'll PM you @erasingdinosaurs . And @scarvesandcardigans I didn't tell this school that I had other offers, but I don't imagine that it would make a difference. I just thought it was a little early in the game to be saying that kind of thing (though that doesn't mean you can't). Now, as we approach April 15th I may begin throwing that out there in hopes of a response, haha, 

Agreed. It does feel super early. This is definitely good to know. 

4 hours ago, Yak1030 said:

@Spanport Have you heard anything back from Indiana yet? I'm still waiting...though we are around the timeframe when they start making decisions. 

I have actually! I just got an email today! I was accepted with a fellowship! I hope you hear something soon! My last name is pretty early in the alphabet, so it could simply be administrative. Crossing my fingers for you!

Congrats @Spanport !  And thanks for the good vibes from both you and @scarvesandcardigans. My last name does begin with a Y...haha. And I don't know if it makes a difference but I applied to the masters program. Did you apply for the masters or PhD? 

1 hour ago, Yak1030 said:

Congrats @Spanport !  And thanks for the good vibes from both you and @scarvesandcardigans. My last name does begin with a Y...haha. And I don't know if it makes a difference but I applied to the masters program. Did you apply for the masters or PhD? 

I applied to the PhD program! So that could definitely be a factor! 

1 hour ago, Yak1030 said:

Thank you so much!!!! I'm so excited! Now only 6 more to go!

Hi and congrats to those of you who have received already one or more offers!

I' was looking at the results page and have not seen anything from CUNY (Spanish) I saw results from comp lit and history. Are you applying there? In that case would you please let us know if you hear from them?

Thanks!

45 minutes ago, cactilio said:

Hi and congrats to those of you who have received already one or more offers!

I' was looking at the results page and have not seen anything from CUNY (Spanish) I saw results from comp lit and history. Are you applying there? In that case would you please let us know if you hear from them?

Thanks!

Hi! I also applied to CUNY. Haven´t heard anything either... I´ll let you know if they say something, please write if they email you, too!

4 hours ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Hi! I also applied to CUNY. Haven´t heard anything either... I´ll let you know if they say something, please write if they email you, too!

thank you!!

I will definitely get back to you if i hear from them!

Congrats on the admit @erasingdinosaurs! I won't be going to NC State, but @scarvesandcardigans do you mind if I ask you some time some general questions about what it's like to be in a masters Spanish program ?? I know precisely no one who has been through this process within the last few years. 

5 hours ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Hey @scarvesandcardigans, that was me! I'm sure I'll be messaging you as questions arise :)

CONGRATS!!! As you know I'm super excited but still congrats a thousand times over. :)

3 hours ago, Yak1030 said:

Congrats on the admit @erasingdinosaurs! I won't be going to NC State, but @scarvesandcardigans do you mind if I ask you some time some general questions about what it's like to be in a masters Spanish program ?? I know precisely no one who has been through this process within the last few years. 

Yes of course! Happy to answer any questions that come up!! :)

I applied to 12 programs and have only heard back from one: an acceptance into the Phd in Spanish Lit at University of Illinois at Chicago. I'm dying to go to NYU, but since I haven't heard from them about an interview, I'm super nervous :(.  

What's even worse is that I finished my applications in October, so I feel like I have literally been waiting a million years for responses!! How does everyone deal with the anxiety?

5 hours ago, Argengringa said:

I applied to 12 programs and have only heard back from one: an acceptance into the Phd in Spanish Lit at University of Illinois at Chicago. I'm dying to go to NYU, but since I haven't heard from them about an interview, I'm super nervous :(.  

What's even worse is that I finished my applications in October, so I feel like I have literally been waiting a million years for responses!! How does everyone deal with the anxiety?

I personally eat my feelings and make myself crazy by looking at campus photos of my top choice schools :lol::P... not sure I'm much help... this is just such a stressful time. 

I would also love to know how some of you are actually dealing with this anxiety. 

24 minutes ago, Spanport said:

I personally eat my feelings and make myself crazy by looking at campus photos of my top choice schools :lol::P... not sure I'm much help... this is just such a stressful time. 

I would also love to know how some of you are actually dealing with this anxiety. 

Hahaha, same! I spend roughly 2 hours a day looking at campus photos and searching apartments on craigslist for all my top choices. And the eating part, too. Lots of that. 

10 hours ago, Spanport said:

10 hours ago, Argengringa said:

Hahaha, same! I spend roughly 2 hours a day looking at campus photos and searching apartments on craigslist for all my top choices. And the eating part, too. Lots of that. 

Guilty of all of the above ???

I wonder if it's just something about us Spanish grad applicants ? 

On 2/2/2017 at 11:50 AM, elsueñodelretorno said:

I saw on the results page someone was contacted for an interview...Is that you? Anyways...I haven't heard anything...Are you applying for Spanish or Portuguese? :) (I'm interested in Peninsular).

1 hour ago, cactilio said:

I saw on the results page someone was contacted for an interview...Is that you? Anyways...I haven't heard anything...Are you applying for Spanish or Portuguese? :) (I'm interested in Peninsular).

Hi! That wasn´t me, but I was contacted for an interview, too. They emailed me not too long ago (couple of hours, maybe), so maybe you still get an email. 

Also, this is the first round of interviews and they will for almost sure do another one later (once they have offered admissions and some people decline them so they need more candidates... You get the idea). I know it because last year I was interviewed during the second round (then waitlisted, then rejected... Great journey haha), so it can be the case.

I do Latin American literature (Central America mainly). Did you attend/watch online their open house in fall? 

Good luck! 

54 minutes ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Hi! That wasn´t me, but I was contacted for an interview, too. They emailed me not too long ago (couple of hours, maybe), so maybe you still get an email. 

Also, this is the first round of interviews and they will for almost sure do another one later (once they have offered admissions and some people decline them so they need more candidates... You get the idea). I know it because last year I was interviewed during the second round (then waitlisted, then rejected... Great journey haha), so it can be the case.

I do Latin American literature (Central America mainly). Did you attend/watch online their open house in fall? 

Good luck! 

Congrats and good luck! 

Hope it works out for you, I am super interested in one of the Professors for my research so I'd really like to get this email but I kind of know how this game goes...:)

Thanks a lot and please update on how your interview goes!