On March 18, 2017 at 10:51 AM, rabschaud said:

Is there a Facebook group for us MA CSE students? Would love to get to know people before the program starts :)

Yeah we should make one! Is anyone whose going to be in the MA program working part time while doing the program? 

18 minutes ago, Marina S25 said:

Same boat as you :( 

I'm not sure if this will help but on the OISE site, it states: "After official written notification of results have been mailed to you the status of your application on the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies online application system is changed to Decision Made. Moving to Decision Made typically happens well after the official result letter reaches you."

1 minute ago, CT4 said:

I'm not sure if this will help but on the OISE site, it states: "After official written notification of results have been mailed to you the status of your application on the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies online application system is changed to Decision Made. Moving to Decision Made typically happens well after the official result letter reaches you."

Hey! I appreciate it! I noticed that on the website as well! I have absolutely no idea if they've mailed anything out though. There are no updates on Acorn or Rosi so for all I know, they maybe haven't even reached mine yet to mail out!

I got my acceptance 3 weeks ago and it still shows as 'under review' so don't count on that being accurate info.

For everyone that got accepted to the MT program, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything! I submitted my confirmation letter last week and am just wondering if there's anything else we need to do until course registration opens up later? I know we need to pay a deposit in June but just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything!

2 hours ago, Pidgey said:

I got my acceptance 3 weeks ago and it still shows as 'under review' so don't count on that being accurate info.

For everyone that got accepted to the MT program, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything! I submitted my confirmation letter last week and am just wondering if there's anything else we need to do until course registration opens up later? I know we need to pay a deposit in June but just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything!

Come to the meet and greet? :P I think that's everything. I feel like we should make a facebook group too! 

Mine still says under review for my (unsuccessful) applications for 2015 and 2016 - I'm not convinced they ever update SGS!

1 hour ago, Tshskespeare said:

Come to the meet and greet? :P I think that's everything. I feel like we should make a facebook group too! 

Haha unfortunately I'm still away from Toronto for school and won't be able to make it :(. I agree that we should make a facebook group! 

Haha unfortunately I'm still away from Toronto for school and won't be able to make it :(. I agree that we should make a facebook group! 

Oh that's too bad! I can post some details here after the meet and greet. Which section are you in? I'll try to make one after the meet and greet too! 

2 hours ago, Honggil said:

Oops typos. Yes, I got the declined letter. 

Aw, I'm sorry :( good luck with the program you choose to accept!

1 hour ago, Tshskespeare said:

Oh that's too bad! I can post some details here after the meet and greet. Which section are you in? I'll try to make one after the meet and greet too! 

That would be awesome! I'm in I/S with teachables in biology and general science :) What about you?

Edited by Pidgey

32 minutes ago, Pidgey said:

That would be awesome! I'm in I/S with teachables in biology and general science :) What about you?

I'm also in I/S for English and History! 

6 hours ago, Pidgey said:

I'm in I/S with teachables in biology and religion :D

So I have somewhat of a problem...

My top 2 choices were York and OISE. York declined me, OISE accepted me. Even AFTER I got accepted into York, I decided to ask for a second review because I know that I am actually overqualified. They agreed with me and I just found out that I got into York.

Now I am trying to decide between York and OISE.

York = 10,000 cheaper ($15 000 total), easier for me to get to- the GO Bus is a 5 min walk from my house and goes directly there, alternatively I can drive there if I want to, I get 4 months next summer off, easier program, and my friend will be going there

OISE = 10,000 more ($25 000 total), more difficult for me to get to (car and then subway) so transportation will be more expensive, program is 20 months longer, the program is more difficult

There are 2 reasons why I want to go to OISE: the prestige of it being the best teacher's college in Canada, and also the fact that I get my Masters

However, I am having doubts about whether it even matters if I have my masters. I am pretty sure that whether we get a BEd. or a Masters, we will still be A3 in the payscale.

Also, I can always just get my masters online later. I think the only benefit of a masters if I want to be a principal one day....

Anybody have any opinions about this?

I hate decisions like this

7 hours ago, Tshskespeare said:

Yes please post some details about the meet and greet. I can't go either :(

3 hours ago, cutekittens said:

So I have somewhat of a problem...

My top 2 choices were York and OISE. York declined me, OISE accepted me. Even AFTER I got accepted into York, I decided to ask for a second review because I know that I am actually overqualified. They agreed with me and I just found out that I got into York.

Now I am trying to decide between York and OISE.

York = 10,000 cheaper ($15 000 total), easier for me to get to- the GO Bus is a 5 min walk from my house and goes directly there, alternatively I can drive there if I want to, I get 4 months next summer off, easier program, and my friend will be going there

OISE = 10,000 more ($25 000 total), more difficult for me to get to (car and then subway) so transportation will be more expensive, program is 20 months longer, the program is more difficult

There are 2 reasons why I want to go to OISE: the prestige of it being the best teacher's college in Canada, and also the fact that I get my Masters

However, I am having doubts about whether it even matters if I have my masters. I am pretty sure that whether we get a BEd. or a Masters, we will still be A3 in the payscale.

Also, I can always just get my masters online later. I think the only benefit of a masters if I want to be a principal one day....

Anybody have any opinions about this?

I hate decisions like this

I was in the same boat, I got accepted to Queens/Western/OISE and had to make a decision. I'm originally from Toronto but am currently away for school which means I can move back home and save money, however it's a long commute to OISE as opposed to living in an apartment close to Western and still maintaining independence. I chose OISE though. Anyway, I guess it really depends on your career goals (like you mentioned, if you ever want to become a principal or possibly university instructor somehow). I'm a bit confused though, B.Ed at York is 2 years and so is the MT program at OISE. The only main difference in schedules is that you're right, I believe OISE would run through summer of 2018. However, look at the big picture - once you become a teacher, you'll have summers off every year, so why does one summer in 2018 matter that much? It goes by fast anyways. In terms of cost, $10,000 is definitely a hefty price, especially if you're going to be inconveniencing yourself daily and paying more for transportation costs...but I think in the grand scheme of things $10,000 isn't a huge price to pay (don't get me wrong, it still is a significant amount though).

You can get your masters online later, but is that really something you would want to do once you have a full-time job? I've seen people go through it and it's not a fun process at all to have to work all day and then go home and work all night for 2 years. In the end I feel like the difficulty of the MT program is better to just get it over with than have to suffer through more schooling later. Sigh I don't know, the fact that it's so much easier to get to York and the cheaper price is really the only pro I see for you. And you're also correct, both degrees put you at the A3 level. Even though the school you attend technically "doesn't matter", I'm pretty sure it does, even a tiny bit. If you managed to get into OISE, you clearly have the skills, so I'm sure you can handle the difficulty :). I'm a bit worried about the difficulty as well but that last sentence just provided a little self-reassurance haha.

Sorry for the long post, good luck with your decision :)