Tattoos in Academia?

WildeThing

For a long time now I've been wanting to get a pretty noticeable tattoo on my forearm, basically like a sleeve. I have been putting it off because I am kind of worried about it being a detriment when applying for jobs in academia. In my country of origin it wouldn't matter because hirings are done via a point system and so are promotions. However, it is my understanding that in the US everything is handled by committees so prejudices can have an impact. 

In your experience, are noticeable tattoos common or accepted in the academic world? Does it vary by institution? I'm particularly asking about departments in the humanities.

Speaking from the student-side, I can assure you that several of my professors have tattoos. That being said, they seem to try to make them non-visible, or in locations that can be hidden via professional clothing. I'm not sure that it's necessarily for prejudicial reasons, but it is a deep-set concern for a conservative idea of professionalism, which is a fact if you mean to teach in some American institutions. However, I think that depends on the institution. I definitely know several colleagues (also students), who have full sleeves, several ABD or in the final stages of PhD. (They often wear long-sleeves, on work days.) So...You know, it will vary, but being able to cover your tattoos will likely make you more versatile for the market, depending on the conservatism of the institution. 

It also depends on the conservatism of the field. In accounting, you might have problems. In anthropology, almost definitely not. All of you who've posted so far are in English or literature, right? There might be a greater range based on institution for you all: although at most colleges, you will be fine, a lot of the smaller, more conservative colleges that I don't have to think about because they don't have anthropologists do hire professors in English, and that's just a milieu I don't know enough about to characterize their norms of personal presentation. That's farther down the line, though: I'm pretty sure there doesn't exist an English graduate program in the country where tattoos are per se a problem.

There have been some good discussions about this in the past:

I know plenty of folks in academia with tattoos. A lot of them are in places that can be easily covered, like the back, upper arm, or calf area. But others have half sleeves or even full sleeves. Some of those with the sleeves wear long-sleeved shirts most of the time at work to cover up the tattoos. Also, it might depend on how connected the tattoo(s) is/are to one's field. Here's two discussions about field related tattoos: 

Hope this helps!

I had a professor in Chemistry that was literally covered in tattoos (chest, arms, anywhere visible there was a tattoo). I went to a talk of hers and it turned out that she was originally set to work in a research lab (i.e. not a visible area where her tattoos really didn't matter), but of course took a turn in that life path and ended up loving teaching more. She's an esteemed professor and from my knowledge is not looked down upon. Students love her and she gets along great in her department from what I can tell. 
But as others have pointed out, it could differ between institutions, different areas of the country etc. 

I'm so glad this was asked. I have two tats, but they're easily covered. I DO want more though, and I have the same concerns. Going into CJ/Criminology phd (hopefully, fingers crossed) I wonder if there's an issue there, especially as some profs come from law enforcement backgrounds. Wonder if this also varies by state in the US...

My thesis chair has a dragon tattooed on the side of his head. 

I imagine that some hiring committees looked disfavorably at his tattoos, but he holds a tenure track position. So, I wouldn't necessary say that they severely impact one's employability. 

Let me throw in one more by echoing what was said before. It will largely depend on the field, but you will see for the most part that no one cares. I am in the social sciences, and have a couple of noticeable forearm tattoos, and it mattered to no one. What matters the most is whether you can cover your tattoos for professional purposes. Do not worry about it so long as your sleeves can cover it during conferences, interviews, or big presentations.

Thats what they make long sleeve shirts for! Several of the grad students where I am have tattoos. They're nothing overly outrageous, vulgar, etc. I have a total of 3 tattoos on my forearms, it doesn't seem to be an issue. Department chair knows I have them and hasn't said anything (I'm also the only undergraduate TA in the department, so...not sure if that has anything to do with it or shows how little tattoos matter??)

In my school professors have negative attitude to tattoos. Yes, they are in their 50s and 60s, so they have a conservative point of view on such things.

However, some of the students have them. 

The question is what is more important to you - to express your personality or to build a stable career. Perhaps, you will find open-minded coworkers, that will understand the importance of tattoos for you. 

You always could make a tattoo in that way, when hiding it under a formal wear is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a professor in America (Maryland) who had a very visible tattoo (an Arabic phrase) on his forearm. I know he had it before he was hired and he always had his sleeves rolled up so anyone could see it.

I too have a very visible tattoo on my arm. My professors know my intentions of working in academia in the future and not a single one has ever said anything to my about it. Take my example with a grain of salt because I'm a grad student so maybe no one cares enough to tell me anyway.

Someday soon i imagine you won't need to feel this way once the old breed retires or dies off, but until then just wear a long-sleeved shirt to cover the tattoo if you feel you need to.

From an anthropology perspective, I and several members of my MA cohort have tattoos. Some even have neck and hand tattoos that they can't cover up with professional clothing, but it doesn't seem to make a difference as they are all well-respected for their work ethic and contributions to our program. 

I intend to get more tats in the future, but for a while I plan to focus on areas that I can cover up easily. 

I only know of a couple of good accounting profs with tattoos, but they wear the guy-ponytail like it's going out of business, lol!  The chair of the Marketing department at the university my dad works at has a sleeve.  Business professors are probably the most conservatively dressed group on campus, but it is still not a huge deal, as long as you can research and teach.

So, I guess the answer is- it depends.  If you are afraid it may hurt your job prospects, or if it will make you self conscious about them, then I'd avoid them, or wait until you are tenure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a wrist and an ankle tattoo that I intend to cover for things like interviews, but I did see professors with tattoos at my undergrad school. I have a "better safe than sorry" attitude about covering mine for important things, although I certainly hope they wouldn't hurt my chances anywhere

I've been wondering about the same thing as I prepare for reentering school. When I finished my undergrad, I didn't have any, but I've acquired two small ones on my arms between then and now. I feel like normalizing tattoos in academia is important, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Probably best to cover them up for important stuff, or until you know it's okay to show them.

I have 7 visible tattoos on my arms alone, so as I've begun the interview process, I got advice on this exact subject from my private lesson teacher, who's got a full sleeve. His general observation was akin to what people have said above: that for the most part, it only matters to keep them covered during the interviews and other formal events. But once you've sold the people around you on your merits, it's not going to matter on a day-to-day basis.

Love this topic. I have many (visible) tattoos and am saddened that anyone who'd like them would have to forgo them for the sake of a career. Luckily I'm in the arts/humanities and even beyond academia wherever I go won't likely be discriminated for them. Though there's something awfully cool about the idea of an accountant with a Rock of Ages back piece or something. 

• 3 weeks later...

Many moons ago when I was in law school, I interned with the Federal Public Defenders. I remember on one occasion, a former client of the office was brought back to court for violating the conditions of his supervised release. He appeared in federal district court wearing a tank top, apparently so he could brandish his brand new tattoo. The tattoo said, "FUCK THE FEDS." So I think in that environment, it may have had a negative impact. In academia, at least in the humanities, I don't think it's as big of a deal.