Canadian Political Science Programs- Fall 2017 cycle

somuchtoread

32 minutes ago, sonsofeasterly said:

Has anyone heard anything from Queen's? I spoke to someone in their office last week and they said they don't expect to begin sending admissions until the middle of March, but I see that someone posted on the admissions forum last night.

Noticed that as well, I havent heard anything either... I applied to their MA program. I did get accepted to UVic, but that is the only school I've heard from as of yet (UVic, UofT, McGill, Queens).

11 hours ago, sielias said:

Noticed that as well, I havent heard anything either... I applied to their MA program. I did get accepted to UVic, but that is the only school I've heard from as of yet (UVic, UofT, McGill, Queens).

Hi congrats! I applied to UVic as well but no updates yet, Mind if I ask when did you get notification from UVic? =)

On 2017-02-27 at 11:22 PM, xxxxxxxplz said:

Hi congrats! I applied to UVic as well but no updates yet, Mind if I ask when did you get notification from UVic? =)

Thanks! Yeah, I got it on Feb. 24. I had a pretty strong "in" with a prof. there, good friends with someone who he supervised, and recommendations from my undergrad profs who know him well. Best of luck! 

51 minutes ago, magicsana said:

Congrats! I applied to their MA, and still waiting. 

Thank you! Their MA application deadline was so recent, I hope it's not too long of a wait for acceptances to roll out!

On 2/27/2017 at 7:19 PM, Crème brûlée said:

Anyone claiming a UBC acceptance? There is one posted on the results board...

Sorry, I was just a lurker and didn't have an account, but I can claim a UBC acceptance. Email from a departmental grad admissions contact, followed by one from the grad school and my POI/supervisor came on Monday. 

13 minutes ago, ZJxk said:

Sorry, I was just a lurker and didn't have an account, but I can claim a UBC acceptance. Email from a departmental grad admissions contact, followed by one from the grad school and my POI/supervisor came on Monday. 

Congrats!!! Is that for the PhD program?

3 minutes ago, Pahi said:

Congrats!!! Is that for the PhD program?

Thanks! Yes indeed, for IR. What major field are you applying to? 

14 minutes ago, ZJxk said:

Thanks! Yes indeed, for IR. What major field are you applying to? 

That's awesome!!! Mine is IR too. UBC is my first choice for personal and family reasons but the two people who could supervise my research weren't taking on new students when I inquired before the application cycle. I wasn't too confident of my chances but I sent in my application anyway. Hoping for some kind of a miracle...haha..fingers crossed!

24 minutes ago, Pahi said:

That's awesome!!! Mine is IR too. UBC is my first choice for personal and family reasons but the two people who could supervise my research weren't taking on new students when I inquired before the application cycle. I wasn't too confident of my chances but I sent in my application anyway. Hoping for some kind of a miracle...haha..fingers crossed!

Thank you! That's tough, it can be hard to time applications to ensure the people you're interested in working with are available and new taking students. I went to York too btw, so if you have any questions about that department feel free to message me. Best of luck, I hope it comes through for you! 

2 minutes ago, ZJxk said:

Thank you! That's tough, it can be hard to time applications to ensure the people you're interested in working with are available and new taking students. I went to York too btw, so if you have any questions about that department feel free to message me. Best of luck, I hope it comes through for you! 

Thank you! Really hoping it works out at UBC. I was really impressed by the department at York but I'm leaning towards McGill as of now. Can't really make a decision until I hear from Toronto and UBC. 

30 minutes ago, Pahi said:

Thank you! Really hoping it works out at UBC. I was really impressed by the department at York but I'm leaning towards McGill as of now. Can't really make a decision until I hear from Toronto and UBC. 

Fingers crossed for you! I totally understand that, I'd be doing the exact same thing. It's trickier to figure out when results are released, the results board has so many fewer responses for Canadian schools than for US ones. 

Hi folks, I am long-time lurker, first time poster. 

I have just been accepted to the MA political studies at Queen's University. I am very excited as this is my first choice. However, I am also waiting on hearing back from: McGill MA political science; UofT SPPG; UofT MGA; Concordia MA; and Balsillie MIPP. 

Originally McGill was my top choice, for obvious reasons, however...my potential supervisor there never responded to my emails and it was my first application so the quality was not as great as the others. 

I wanted to reach out and get a sense of what the program at Queen's is like. Back in January I got in touch with a professor there and he stated he was interested in being my supervisor. I've been offered a TA/RA-ship...details to be confirmed soon, and a fairly decent funding package.

Going forward, I hope/anticipate that I'll pursue one of three things following my MA: 1) Law school. 2) Exec. masters program in IR from an American school [Fletcher, SIPA, SAIS, etc]. 3) Pursuing a PhD. 

Here are my stats: 

• Undergrad Grades: 77-79 in all four years; 83-85 in last two.
  • Awards: more than a dozen awards in undergrad including honour roll for final two years. 
  • Publications: Two published/achieved: history conference, paper competition. Recently awarded/to be presented: graduate history conference, graduate political science conference. 2 others submitted to undergraduate journals. 
  • Conferences: Presented at one academic conference, presenting at two more in coming months. 
  • Research/Teaching: Worked as an RA for 1 semester; policy researcher for a non-profit organization. 2 semesters of TAing, including one as head TA. 
  • Very Enthusiastic reference letters

Sorry for the long post, and sorry if it is unclear. I still cannot believe that I've been accepted!!!!!!

Cheers!

-Sisaidba

7 minutes ago, sisaidba said:

I have just been accepted to the MA political studies at Queen's University.

Congrats! I just got my admission from there today, as well. I'm still waiting on Balsillie's MGA and NPSIA's MA.

I'd also love to hear what people thought about Queen's. Anecdotally, some of my friends who have done McGill's MA haven't found it to be an entirely positive experience.

1 hour ago, sonsofeasterly said:

Congrats! I just got my admission from there today, as well. I'm still waiting on Balsillie's MGA and NPSIA's MA.

I'd also love to hear what people thought about Queen's. Anecdotally, some of my friends who have done McGill's MA haven't found it to be an entirely positive experience.

Out of curiosity, what did they say about the McGill MA?

It's my top choice Canadian program due to the two-year structure and the location.

Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Edited by rjkingston

I am about to graduate with an MA from McGill poli. sci. department. You can message me if you have some general or specific questions about the department or particular profs.