Carrying cash while travelling

Hi guys,

I plan to take some cash(not a small amount, but not very big as well) with me to the plane, actually to the planes, since I will be travelling with some stops. Can you give me any tips on handling cash while travelling? How to store it? :) I wasn`t actually too worried about this, but sometimes I think of worst case scenarios like "what if loose money? will my parents be able to send money directly to the airport?", so I try to find useful recommendations.

I also wonder how I will get through screening with cash in wallet, I mean I don`t want to put my wallet onto one of those plates, what if someone grabs it accidentally? I read that I can hold wallet in my hand and go through scanner with it, is that true?

Any tips are welcomed.

Hello.

I've carried money in my wallet and it wasn't a problem at all. Sure, you get nervous, but after all, I think keeping the money the closest to you it's better.

If you're worried about the wallet when you're going through screening, maybe you could place it deep inside your backpack. It's harder for someone to grab it "by accident".

Just remember that if you are carrying more than 10,000 USD worth of cash (or other monetary instruments) when entering the USA, you have to declare it at customs. I am not sure if you mean this value when you say "not a small amount".

You ask whether your parents can send you money at the airport? This isn't easy to do. But you probably don't need to get it right at the airport. My tip would be to put a small amount of money in a different place so that if something happens to your main chunk of cash, you still have something like $100 or $200 to pay for things like getting from the airport to your new apartment, and paying for food etc. until you can get more money.

• 3 weeks later...

I always use a passport bag around my neck. If I carry more, I store it in a pouch beneath my layers. As regards holding your money, yes, you can do that. My boyfriend traveled with a significant amount of cash in our last vacay. He was asked to take the money out of his pouch into the tray and he immediately refused. He was then allowed to have the cash in his hand during screening. 

I have traveled abroad a few time carrying quite a bit of cash (within the allowed amount of course). One advise I'd give to anyone is to split your money and save them in a few different places eg. wallet, extra pocket in purse, passport pouch, etc. I haven't had any problem like losing my money or being questioned by officers, etc. However, it is always better to be prepared so that in the case of losing your wallet or any other unfortunate accident, there will always be a backup plan or at least money for you to survive the day.