Preparing for MPH applications, while in undergrad

onthovary

Hello and happy holidays!  

I currently have less than a year before I will be applying to masters programs (hopefully attending Sept 2018).  What can a undergraduate student do in the remaining time to become an ideal/competitive candidate for a MPH (or similar- MHA, MHS) program in Canada?  Of course maintaining a good GPA is a must, so please comment suggestions for areas beyond grades! 

For my particular situation, I am concerned that I don't have enough relevant experience.  While I volunteer in a health centre and have plenty of (unrelated to health sci) work experience, I worry that I will need to take a year or two off to make myself a competitive applicant (while having a 3.7/8 GPA in a honours spec health science degree).  I also don't have any research experience, but am not looking at programs that are research intensive. 

Thanks in advance :D

Getting some experience as a volunteer or an intern at your local public health department would be something that you can do in 2017. Also, research experience on your topic of interest (i.e. maternal heath, HIV, or health policy) is an important factor that can strengthen your application even if you are not planning on doing research or applying to research intensive programs. I would urge you to look for a research assistant position since public health programs value health related research experience. If you are required to do a thesis for your undergrad degree, presenting your research project at a conference would be another thing that you can do. 

16 hours ago, COGSCI said:

Getting some experience as a volunteer or an intern at your local public health department would be something that you can do in 2017. Also, research experience on your topic of interest (i.e. maternal heath, HIV, or health policy) is an important factor that can strengthen your application even if you are not planning on doing research or applying to research intensive programs. I would urge you to look for a research assistant position since public health programs value health related research experience. If you are required to do a thesis for your undergrad degree, presenting your research project at a conference would be another thing that you can do. 

Thanks so much for this information!  Firstly, how would you recommend going about finding a research assistant position?  I have searched online at my university's job postings and postings from health organizations, but haven't found anything yet.  I plan on directly speaking to my professors in the upcoming semester, is there anything I should specifically say?  I am currently volunteering at a public health centre, with a basic entry level position (think "porter"), but am looking to secure a better position throughout the next semester.  Additionally, I sadly won't be doing a thesis for my undergrad degree.   

1 hour ago, onthovary said:

Thanks so much for this information!  Firstly, how would you recommend going about finding a research assistant position?  I have searched online at my university's job postings and postings from health organizations, but haven't found anything yet.  I plan on directly speaking to my professors in the upcoming semester, is there anything I should specifically say?  I am currently volunteering at a public health centre, with a basic entry level position (think "porter"), but am looking to secure a better position throughout the next semester.  Additionally, I sadly won't be doing a thesis for my undergrad degree.   

I would just email a prof that you are interested in working with and see if that person could use a volunteer research assistant. If you want to get paid, you can also look into work-study research position. My school used to post them at the beginning of each semester.