Peabody Vanderbilt Fall 2017

hopefulPhD2017

I applied to the same program! This one seems to be one of the earlier programs to notify if you get an interview, so I'm hoping we hear something in the next 2-3 weeks! 

Not sure how many apply, but I have a friend who goes there, and her year, I believe they invited 10 or 11 for interview weekend and gave offers to 8 or 9 (the others were waitlisted). That's just for LPO though. 

Edited by Espeon

Thanks for sharing this @Espeon

Seems pretty small to me. Interesting that only a few who go to the interview weekend don't get in. 

You must have heard good things if you're also applying! I don't know anyone who's attended. If you feel like sharing any inside info, please do! It'll pass the time while we wait for Jan 12. ?

The LPO's Ph.D. program is very competitive. What I hear is typically they receive over 200 applications, invite about 10 applicants, and offer about 7 admissions. Since they have K-12 and higher education concentrations, probably each year about 4-5 are in K-12 and 2-3 are in Higher education.

32 minutes ago, nashville0808 said:

The LPO's Ph.D. program is very competitive. What I hear is typically they receive over 200 applications, invite about 10 applicants, and offer about 7 admissions. Since they have K-12 and higher education concentrations, probably each year about 4-5 are in K-12 and 2-3 are in Higher education.

Wow. That is super competitive. So I'm hoping that 195 or so of the apps were for higher education, right?

Seriously though, wondering what ya'll think are the top reasons this program is so competitive? That's the same as asking why you applied, I guess. 

5 hours ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

Wow. That is super competitive. So I'm hoping that 195 or so of the apps were for higher education, right?

Seriously though, wondering what ya'll think are the top reasons this program is so competitive? That's the same as asking why you applied, I guess. 

There are multiple reasons. In education policy, a lot of research is now highly quantitative and uses advanced causal inference techniques. This program offers rigorous quantitative training to conduct such research. Second, folks in this program, both faculty members and students, often work with researchers at the other departments (e.g., teaching and learning, and special education) within the college and schools (e.g., political science, economics, sociology, etc.) across the university. They bring in interesting interdisciplinary projects. They also work with the Tennessee Department of Education and publish a lot of interesting policy studies. Also, the program has many research-active high quality faculty members and researchers, who consistently bring in new projects with a lot of grants, which fund Ph.D. students and offer various research experience. For funding, across the departments within the college, Ph.D. students are fully funded for 4-5 years with a lot of additional grants such as travel grants, professional development grants, and technology grants. My friend in this program earned close to $40,000 a year including summer RA jobs, and by the time she graduated, she had a lot of saving.   

I have heard basically the same things as @nashville0808--highly rigorous quantitative training, highly published and motivated faculty, interdisciplinary opportunities (which is cool to me at least in part because I also looked into the CRA program and may be interested in some collab there), extremely competitive stipends and funding opportunities, and then of course the opportunities in Nashville are just endless. My friend in the program loves it and has had tons of internship and research opportunities available to her. 

I had a casual interview with two professors from Vanderbilt before break and they said that notifications for on-campus interview weekend would all be out by the end of January.  I'm hoping I'm included in that, but who knows.  I applied to Teaching and Learning. 

@ugggggh good intel! How did the interview go? Wondering what your take was... @nashville0808 and @Espeon appreciate you weighing in. 

I applied because of their work with TDE and their reputation in the areas of data and evaluation. Excited to see where this journey takes us all!

@hopefulPhD2017 I think it went well.  I sent them a thank you note and they sent me back a very encouraging update with the info that I shared above. Vanderbilt is my stretch school, so I was beyond stoked to hear from them, especially since I wasn't able to talk to any faculty before the application like I did at all of my other schools.   I'm hopeful that I'll be invited to come on campus since my work is a really good fit with one of the profs on the call.  

1 hour ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

I see that! Looks like they're all from CRA but nothing from LPO. Anyone know if they all hold interviews the same weekend across programs at Peabody?

Sadly...I applied to CRA - so I guess I should have heard something today. :(

Freakout Question - I just checked my application status and noticed on the list of "Received" items, there's no option for my statement of purpose. This is for the Teaching and Learning program. 

Anyone else have this missing from the application checklist? I know I wrote one and would have definitely uploaded it before submitting. I assume it would have kicked back the application if it was incomplete. I'm just psyching myself out at this point. 

On 1/1/2017 at 5:56 AM, cokpala said:

I applied to the International Education Policy and Management M. Ed. Program! Anyone else apply for IEPM?

I've applied for a Masters in IEPM too. All application materials seem to be in place. Can't expect to hear back from them before March I guess.

6 hours ago, OutdoorsEd said:

Freakout Question - I just checked my application status and noticed on the list of "Received" items, there's no option for my statement of purpose. This is for the Teaching and Learning program. 

Anyone else have this missing from the application checklist? I know I wrote one and would have definitely uploaded it before submitting. I assume it would have kicked back the application if it was incomplete. I'm just psyching myself out at this point. 

Don't worry. Mine doesn't show SoP either. Just GRE, TOEFL scores, University transcripts and LoRs