Peabody Vanderbilt Fall 2017

hopefulPhD2017

4 minutes ago, OutdoorsEd said:

Well honestly @hopefulPhD2017, I had given up hope! I figured interviews had gone out and they were waiting until later to send our rejections just in case the interviews were all terrible. 

Now I have to check my email 100 times an hour again. Thanks! :) 

What did he say when you called? I didn't tell him my name just asked when we could expect to hear. Hmmm...

If you look on page 3, you can see my full response. I spoke to someone in graduate admissions at Peabody, and he said he didn't know anything. He checked my application and said it was still under review. He did say that interviews were in early February, so he expected I would know one way or the other by the end of next week. 

17 hours ago, OutdoorsEd said:

I called today as well. Around 140pm central time. I spoke to someone in graduate admissions. He looked up my application and said it was still checked as "under evaluation." He couldn't say if that meant I was not sent/not going to be sent an interview invite. He did say I could expect to know for sure one way or the other by the end of next week. 

The emails from Kim Brazil are auto-sent, which I figured was the case. She however is not "in the know" for any specific programs so getting or not getting any of her emails doesn't mean anything. 

If I had to make a guess, I'd guess that interview invites have been sent out and they haven't switched anyone to rejected yet just in case those interviews don't work out. Still strange that only two people that received invites out of any PhD program at Peabody check and post on Grad Cafe. 

Ah yes just went back and re-read this, @OutdoorsEd. I guess I meant I wonder why I got more specific information about today vs. next week. Anyone know what it means to be "second round?" Waitlist?

34 minutes ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

Ah yes just went back and re-read this, @OutdoorsEd. I guess I meant I wonder why I got more specific information about today vs. next week. Anyone know what it means to be "second round?" Waitlist?

I just got an email from the graduate admission lady, and here is the current condition based on her reply, "I’m sorry to say that I cannot provide much detail at this point. What I can tell you is that the admissions committee has contacted their top tier applicants about visiting campus, but no admission or rejection decisions have been made. Admit decisions will not be made until the end of February." 

3 hours ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

So I'm home from work, sick, which is a drag because it's a day of mourning for many of us. Not to turn political but today I'd much rather be distracted by work from both the inauguration and this PhD waiting game. Bolstered by @OutdoorsEd I gave Peabody a call, and I was told that first round candidates, who will receive interviews, are still being determined and that some people have not been notified. They expect notifications to be complete by the end of day. So that's good news for some of us, I should hope!

I did not ask for specific programs, and I'm trusting @Espeon's intel on my specific program (LPO) is accurate

He said 2nd round candidates will be notified later next week, not sure what that means exactly...

So, this sounds like there is still hope for some of us (TLD, fingers crossed)

2 hours ago, tianqian345432 said:

I just got an email from the graduate admission lady, and here is the current condition based on her reply, "I’m sorry to say that I cannot provide much detail at this point. What I can tell you is that the admissions committee has contacted their top tier applicants about visiting campus, but no admission or rejection decisions have been made. Admit decisions will not be made until the end of February." 

And this sounds like all hope is lost save for maybe a waitlist spot. 

@hopefulPhD2017 I hope you feel better.... not to turn political either, but today isn't a great day and I feel like I'd be extra appreciative of some concrete news in any direction today. 

Hi! I applied to the Master of Special Education Severe Disabilities Program and have not heard anything back. However, I followed up with the admissions coordinator for my program yesterday and he said that they were hoping to have full decisions made (for at least my area of study) by the end of January. I hope this helps!

Congrats Yehao!!! I also applied to the Learning and Design program! No news yet.

Would you mind sharing a bit about your background? :) Did you apply elsewhere as well? 

Random question to everyone else in the group: Do you think they send out a first round of acceptances all at the same time? Like an automatic e-mail. Or will the slowly notify applicants one by one? :D I'm curious if people in the same program have chances of being notified (aside from waitlist) on different days. 

Now that there are finally acceptances out there... the anxiousness has increased by 1000%.

Good luck everyone!!! 

Edited by nesasp83

18 hours ago, nesasp83 said:

Congrats Yehao!!! I also applied to the Learning and Design program! No news yet.

Would you mind sharing a bit about your background? :) Did you apply elsewhere as well? 

Random question to everyone else in the group: Do you think they send out a first round of acceptances all at the same time? Like an automatic e-mail. Or will the slowly notify applicants one by one? :D I'm curious if people in the same program have chances of being notified (aside from waitlist) on different days. 

Now that there are finally acceptances out there... the anxiousness has increased by 1000%.

Good luck everyone!!! 

I first received an email telling me that there's an update posted to my application. Then I log in and saw an admission letter. Later, I received an official email about the offer.

I am an international student in a top 30 private college and I will graduate this May. i am double majoring in Applied Psychology and Mathematics. My GPA and GRE is also quite mediocre. I don't have any real working experience yet, just working as camp counselor and volunteer teacher in rural China for two summers. That's my only education-related experience.  I also applied HGSE, Penn GSE, TC, Stanford, Northwestern... 

Good Luck Everyone!

Hi everyone,

I also applied to the LPO doc program and haven't heard back :( Admissions not helpful, apparently those calls/invites are left to the department and they are not aware if they have all been sent out. Anyone else hear back? Or should we abandon hope?

2 hours ago, phdplzz said:

Hi everyone,

I also applied to the LPO doc program and haven't heard back :( Admissions not helpful, apparently those calls/invites are left to the department and they are not aware if they have all been sent out. Anyone else hear back? Or should we abandon hope?

Do not lose any hope. The final result will be out at the end of Feb for sure. Before that, we do not know about anything. People may be rejected after their interviews with the professors or may refuse their offers as well. This is very common among Ph.D. programs. 

2 hours ago, tianqian345432 said:

may refuse their offers as well. This is very common among Ph.D. programs. 

Especially at a program like Vanderbilt. You have to think that with Vanderbilt's top tier ranking (#5 in US News but was #1 just a few years ago), Vandy will be offering many students that could have Stanford, Harvard, and Yale as options. While I'm disheartened to realize that I am not one of their top applicants, I also feel a tidbit of hope in that I have not received an outright rejection yet. I could be a backup in the case that a spot opens up. 

Edited by OutdoorsEd

On 1/25/2017 at 6:19 AM, cokpala said:

I was accepted to the IEPM program today! Any one else out there who applied for IEPM?

I did and got in! Yay! So excited :) I wasn't at all expecting to hear from them so soon. However I do wish I had a better scholarship deal - I got the Iris Scholarship - 2k. 

15 hours ago, tianqian345432 said:

Do not lose any hope. The final result will be out at the end of Feb for sure. Before that, we do not know about anything. People may be rejected after their interviews with the professors or may refuse their offers as well. This is very common among Ph.D. programs. 

I'll keep hope alive! Vanderbilt operates strangely, got into a couple other programs, even one in the top 10, and none of them had this long of a wait or this level of ambiguity.

1 hour ago, phdplzz said:

I'll keep hope alive! Vanderbilt operates strangely, got into a couple other programs, even one in the top 10, and none of them had this long of a wait or this level of ambiguity.

I couldn't agree more Phdplzz! Although I truly understand that the admissions office must be extremely busy, the level of ambiguity generates a lot of unnecessary stress, aside from ongoing interpretation of what's going on, on our end.

Why can't we receive a one little liner update regarding out application: "application being reviewed", "stlll making decisions", or "another round of applicants will be reviewed within the next two weeks,"  "stay cool". :) Wishful thinking I guess, but it would be a far more transparent process... on both ends. 

Edited by nesasp83

6 minutes ago, nesasp83 said:

I couldn't agree more Phdplzz! Although I truly understand that the admissions office must be extremely busy, the level of ambiguity generates a lot of unnecessary stress, aside from ongoing interpretation of what's going on on our end.

Why can we easily receive an update regarding out application: "application being reviewed", "stlll making decisions", or "another round of applicants will be reviewed within the next two weeks,"  "stay cool". :) Wishful thinking I guess, but it would be a far more transparent process... on both ends. 

To be honest, I have to say that all of our applications have been reviewed and at least the first round is done. The thing is I was trying to update some of my materials two weeks ago, I got rejected to do so since the review process is done. However, there is no single admission result yet. When I was trying to do the same thing with UPenn, they took my materials and telling me this week on Monday that my materials have been updated, and is ready for review. 

The condition is actually pretty clear. The first round is done, and "top candidates" invitations have been out. Second round could be possible, and waitlist is also possible. No admissions have been made yet. We will hear solid result by the end of Feb. 

15 minutes ago, tianqian345432 said:

To be honest, I have to say that all of our applications have been reviewed and at least the first round is done. The thing is I was trying to update some of my materials two weeks ago, I got rejected to do so since the review process is done. However, there is no single admission result yet. When I was trying to do the same thing with UPenn, they took my materials and telling me this week on Monday that my materials have been updated, and is ready for review. 

The condition is actually pretty clear. The first round is done, and "top candidates" invitations have been out. Second round could be possible, and waitlist is also possible. No admissions have been made yet. We will hear solid result by the end of Feb. 

Thank you tianqian34532 for your response. I wasn't aware that the first round was complete. According to the admissions officer I spoke to the first round begins in january and can extend into anytime/any day in February. I'm glad you have insider info.! :) If  first round is out, it's out. Thanks for clarifying that. I thought people were still being reviewed. (Btw, I am referring to masters programs not PHD.)

Round 2: fingers crossed! 

Edited by nesasp

7 minutes ago, nesasp said:

Thank you tianqian34532 for your response. I wasn't aware that the first round was complete. According to the admissions officer I spoke to the first round begins in january and can extend into anytime/any day in February. I'm glad you have insider info.! :) If  first round is out, it's out. Thanks for clarifying that. I thought people were still being reviewed. (Btw, I am referring to master's programs not PHD.)

Round 2: fingers crossed! 

Oh...I am talking about the PHD programs only. No information about the Master programs. 

Last year, some people had already been rejected by now (specifically, some PhD applicants' applications received a status update on January 24th last year). Has anyone seen anything like this for this year? 

On 1/27/2017 at 1:10 PM, 1too3for5 said:

The first round of interviews actually hasn't happened yet. No admission results have been posted because nobody has been interviewed.

I am not saying about the interviews. As I posted before. The first round "review" of applications has been finished according to the graduate admission manager. She said second round could be possible, and all the admission decisions will be sent out by the end of Feb.