Columbia School of Social Work - 2017

adorablepancreas

Any other Columbia hopefuls out there? It's my top school and I just thought it would be nice to have a thread started for CSSW applicants for 2017! I've applied for the standard 2 Year MSW program. Let's all keep each other updated on our application statuses and such!

Edited by adorablepancreas

Hi,

I applied to the Columbia's MSW 2017 program a month back. It's nerve racking! But, should hear back by March from what previous forums have posted a few years back. I applied to the advance standing program. I'm still currently in my undergraduate social work program and waiting to submit my field evaluation form because don't start 460 hour practicum till end of January. Is anybody in the same predicament? 

Glad to have a support group through this troublesome time :lol:

OP

1 hour ago, oparrale said:

Hi,

I applied to the Columbia's MSW 2017 program a month back. It's nerve racking! But, should hear back by March from what previous forums have posted a few years back. I applied to the advance standing program. I'm still currently in my undergraduate social work program and waiting to submit my field evaluation form because don't start 460 hour practicum till end of January. Is anybody in the same predicament? 

Glad to have a support group through this troublesome time :lol:

OP

Best of luck to you!! I watched a webinar info session on the program and the admissions director said we should hear on or before March 1st. It's so far away! Columbia is the first school I submitted my application for and one of the longest wait times. But in the meantime, I have other apps to finish so at least my time will be occupied lol. 

Hi Everyone, 

I also applied to Columbia's Two year program for fall 2017! I am still in the process of filling out other applications which is very stressful, i am sure as you know. I just graduated college a few weeks ago, so I am really trying to buckle down and submit my other apps. My other top schools are NYU and UPENN.  If you guys don't mind sharing, are you recent graduates, or have you been in the field ? Best of luck to everyone! 

11 hours ago, RosieG said:

Hi Everyone, 

I also applied to Columbia's Two year program for fall 2017! I am still in the process of filling out other applications which is very stressful, i am sure as you know. I just graduated college a few weeks ago, so I am really trying to buckle down and submit my other apps. My other top schools are NYU and UPENN.  If you guys don't mind sharing, are you recent graduates, or have you been in the field ? Best of luck to everyone! 

Hello!

I'm still in the process of applying also. I graduated with my BA in Sociology almost four years ago, and I've been working since. But most of my work experience hasn't been in the field. I've been working in the babysitting service at a gym for three years, and just this year I started interning in social services as well as volunteering. 

Best of luck!   

Hi all! 

I applied to Columbia's MSW program for the fall of 2017 as well! I am currently about to start my last semester of my undergraduate career at Boston College. The other MSW programs I am applying to are U Chicago, WashU, Boston College, and NYU. I am going to take the clinical track, with the hope of becoming a family therapist and, eventually, getting my PhD. 

So far, all of these programs look wonderful. I'm worried about financial aid and whether the money I'll be laying down will be worth it! 

What other schools are you all applying to?

On 1/5/2017 at 2:12 PM, cgriese2 said:

Hi all! 

I applied to Columbia's MSW program for the fall of 2017 as well! I am currently about to start my last semester of my undergraduate career at Boston College. The other MSW programs I am applying to are U Chicago, WashU, Boston College, and NYU. I am going to take the clinical track, with the hope of becoming a family therapist and, eventually, getting my PhD. 

So far, all of these programs look wonderful. I'm worried about financial aid and whether the money I'll be laying down will be worth it! 

What other schools are you all applying to?

Hi! I'm also applying to NYU, Boston University, University of Connecticut, University of Wisconsin--Madison, University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Chicago, Denver University, Portland State, University of Washington, San Francisco State, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, San Diego State, and University of Michigan. 17 total. Which is insane, I know. But I want as many options as possible, especially wrt financial aid!

5 hours ago, RosieG said:

You were already accepted NYU? IF so congrats!!!!  If you don't mind me asking what were your stats? 

Yes I received my acceptance yesterday, about a week and a couple days after I submitted my application! 

My BA is in Sociology, 3.218 overall GPA. I've worked as a kids club supervisor at a gym babysitting service for three years, and I've volunteered in the food pantry at an AIDS services organization since June of this year. I also have had internship since July of this year with an organization that helps homeless families. And I had three solid letters of rec. 

Are there any stats I missed??

13 hours ago, adorablepancreas said:

Yes I received my acceptance yesterday, about a week and a couple days after I submitted my application! 

My BA is in Sociology, 3.218 overall GPA. I've worked as a kids club supervisor at a gym babysitting service for three years, and I've volunteered in the food pantry at an AIDS services organization since June of this year. I also have had internship since July of this year with an organization that helps homeless families. And I had three solid letters of rec. 

Are there any stats I missed??

Omg thats incredible, congrats! you have a lot of experience, one of my areas i feel may be weak. Do you think you are going to choose NYU? 

2 hours ago, RosieG said:

Omg thats incredible, congrats! you have a lot of experience, one of my areas i feel may be weak. Do you think you are going to choose NYU? 

Thank you so much!! :) I tried to get as much experience as I could in the six months I had lol. 

Maybe. My top choice by far is Columbia. So I'm waiting until I hear back from them to make any decisions. I'm also applying to a lot of other schools so it's all kinda up in air right now. 

On 1/8/2017 at 4:11 PM, adorablepancreas said:

Thank you so much!! :) I tried to get as much experience as I could in the six months I had lol. 

Maybe. My top choice by far is Columbia. So I'm waiting until I hear back from them to make any decisions. I'm also applying to a lot of other schools so it's all kinda up in air right now. 

Yes i saw you applied to a lot of schools, which made me a bit nervous because I am only applying to 6. Columbia and NYU are def my top two choices, but I am really scared about not getting into to either. If you don't mind me asking did NYU offer you any money? 

3 hours ago, RosieG said:

Yes i saw you applied to a lot of schools, which made me a bit nervous because I am only applying to 6. Columbia and NYU are def my top two choices, but I am really scared about not getting into to either. If you don't mind me asking did NYU offer you any money? 

Your number of schools is much more reasonable lol. I went way overboard. 

Yes, they offered me $9000 per year in scholarships. I haven't heard about federal funding yet. 

hey all! 

I applied to the Columbia MSW Online program for fall 2017. I applied the day before the priority deadline (11/30) and have not heard anything back. I read somewhere that online applicants have to interview, so i was a little scared of why I had not been contacted so I called the admissions office today and spoke to someone who said they've already reached a decision on my file and I'll hear back from them early February.. doesn't sound too hopeful :(  my stats are 3.7 gpa and I triple majored in undergrad (English, Political Science, and Sociology). Currently enrolled in a MS Ed program (want to get two Master's) as I'm doing my corps year in Teach For America and getting involved in the community a bit more. 

i figured that i would have heard back by now to schedule an interview if it was a positive?? especially since she said they've already reached a decision on my file? ..the waiting is killing me :( 

1 hour ago, sassy_samosa said:

hey all! 

I applied to the Columbia MSW Online program for fall 2017. I applied the day before the priority deadline (11/30) and have not heard anything back. I read somewhere that online applicants have to interview, so i was a little scared of why I had not been contacted so I called the admissions office today and spoke to someone who said they've already reached a decision on my file and I'll hear back from them early February.. doesn't sound too hopeful :(  my stats are 3.7 gpa and I triple majored in undergrad (English, Political Science, and Sociology). Currently enrolled in a MS Ed program (want to get two Master's) as I'm doing my corps year in Teach For America and getting involved in the community a bit more. 

i figured that i would have heard back by now to schedule an interview if it was a positive?? especially since she said they've already reached a decision on my file? ..the waiting is killing me :( 

I wish you the best of luck!! I applied for the regular on campus two year program and they said we should hear back by March 1st. So maybe they meant they decided in whether they will contact you about scheduling an interview in early February and then if so you'll hear their official admissions decision later? Just a guess!! Idk if the timeline is different for online the program.  

Your experience and GPA are impressive!  

Edited by adorablepancreas

23 hours ago, adorablepancreas said:

Your number of schools is much more reasonable lol. I went way overboard. 

Yes, they offered me $9000 per year in scholarships. I haven't heard about federal funding yet. 

wow congrats! so the $9,000 was simply academic scholarships? Did you do your FASFA yet?  Im confused about he awarding of money from the fasfa because I cannot submit the fasfa until I receive my W2 later this month, so I am guessing that I will have to wait, right? 

56 minutes ago, RosieG said:

wow congrats! so the $9,000 was simply academic scholarships? Did you do your FASFA yet?  Im confused about he awarding of money from the fasfa because I cannot submit the fasfa until I receive my W2 later this month, so I am guessing that I will have to wait, right? 

I submitted my FAFSA already, the 2017-2018 one has been available for a few months! I think they released it early this year. 

Im not entirely sure how financial aid works either :/ 

1 hour ago, adorablepancreas said:

I submitted my FAFSA already, the 2017-2018 one has been available for a few months! I think they released it early this year. 

Im not entirely sure how financial aid works either :/ 

Yea i saw that but they said without a W2 from the past year you can not submit it. Im going to reach out to someone and ask, its a little confusing. But thanks for your help! 

1 hour ago, RosieG said:

Yea i saw that but they said without a W2 from the past year you can not submit it. Im going to reach out to someone and ask, its a little confusing. But thanks for your help! 

Oh damn maybe I should redo mine. I thought I read somewhere that you can use the 2015 W2....I'll have to do some research!

No problem!

36 minutes ago, adorablepancreas said:

Oh damn maybe I should redo mine. I thought I read somewhere that you can use the 2015 W2....I'll have to do some research!

No problem!

one more quick question... in NYU's essay did you directly discuss your attributes. For example, did you say a personal attribute is... or did you weave it in without coming out and directly saying it? 

I pretty much stated it outright, but in different words. It didn't start with "my personal attributes are" but I talked about the qualities I've developed from various life experiences. And focused on the qualities rather than the experiences. 

It was def obvious that was the prompt I was answering.  

14 hours ago, adorablepancreas said:

I pretty much stated it outright, but in different words. It didn't start with "my personal attributes are" but I talked about the qualities I've developed from various life experiences. And focused on the qualities rather than the experiences. 

It was def obvious that was the prompt I was answering.  

Ok thank you! 

Hey again! Adorable Pancreas, Columbia is also my top choice (two year, full time program). I applied before the December 1st deadline, so I am hoping to hear back in the next month. I am graduating this year from Boston College with a 3.8 cumulative and some internships in the field. I hope my strong academic record and interest in clinical psych is enough! 

I thought only international applicants had to interview?

Edited by cgriese2