Columbia School of Social Work - 2017

adorablepancreas

4 minutes ago, cgriese2 said:

Hey again! Adorable Pancreas, Columbia is also my top choice (two year, full time program). I applied before the December 1st deadline, so I am hoping to hear back in the next month. I am graduating this year from Boston College with a 3.8 cumulative and some internships in the field. I hope my strong academic record and interest in clinical psych is enough! 

I thought only international applicants had to interview?

Hello! Your stats are great! I wish you luck :) Columbia's program has a 40-50% acceptance rate so I'm hopeful for both of us :)

I believe international applicants and online program applicants have to interview? I'm not sure on that, though.

8 hours ago, Keeli said:

Hi there,

I saw someone has already posted a Columbia admission result. Wow, that is so early...

I just saw that too. Someone posted that they received an acceptance on 1/14. I have to wonder if that's correct though or if maybe they're just doing it differently this year. From reading these forums from previous years it seems like people didn't get Columbia decisions until late Feb or March.

8 hours ago, Kdubbub said:

I just saw that too. Someone posted that they received an acceptance on 1/14. I have to wonder if that's correct though or if maybe they're just doing it differently this year. From reading these forums from previous years it seems like people didn't get Columbia decisions until late Feb or March.

That's what I've seen too, and I watched an infosession webinar about the program and the admissions counselor leading the discussion said applicants would hear back on or before March 1st. That was for this application cycle. I didn't think it would be this early!

Hi Everyone! I am applying to Columbia's online advanced standing MSW program. I submitted my application 11/30/16, and received an email few weeks ago that my application is under review. Hopefully I will hear back soon! 

I have a 3.85 GPA overall, but a 4.0 GPA for my social work classes. I am a double major in social work and sociology, with a minor in women's and gender studies. I have been working in the social work field for almost three years now! I am currently employed at a psychiatric unit full time, and I am doing my 450 hour internship at a local women's shelter. I have also worked at a school and I have volunteered at three different social service agencies. I am also in an honors program, and I am involved with clubs on campus! Hopefully this will all be enough to get accepted! 

4 hours ago, kiana1180 said:

Hi Everyone! I am applying to Columbia's online advanced standing MSW program. I submitted my application 11/30/16, and received an email few weeks ago that my application is under review. Hopefully I will hear back soon! 

I have a 3.85 GPA overall, but a 4.0 GPA for my social work classes. I am a double major in social work and sociology, with a minor in women's and gender studies. I have been working in the social work field for almost three years now! I am currently employed at a psychiatric unit full time, and I am doing my 450 hour internship at a local women's shelter. I have also worked at a school and I have volunteered at three different social service agencies. I am also in an honors program, and I am involved with clubs on campus! Hopefully this will all be enough to get accepted! 

Those are some amazing stats and experience!! I'm no admissions counselor it sounds to me like you would be a shoe-in! 

I'm also curious: which method and area of practice are you all thinking you want to study? I vacillate between all of the methods LOL. I'd love to see real life results by doing direct practice with people but I also want to take part in wider systemic change by working in policy. I'm strongly considering the mezzo AGPP track for that reason. And I think I want to do the Contemporary Social Issues method, though I'm not entirely sure. I want to work with or for the LGBTQ community in some capacity so I'll have to figure out which study areas are the best for that! Luckily as part of the two year program I would have time to choose! 

What is everyone else considering?

Edited by adorablepancreas

On 1/16/2017 at 0:38 AM, adorablepancreas said:

WOW really?!? Damn...now I'm gonna be furiously checking my application page and my email...

That's exactly what I did after seeing that posted result. :D

On 1/16/2017 at 1:02 AM, Kdubbub said:

Yea, I have to agree this is way too early to receive any decision from Columbia. I was kinda surprised. Maybe there is something we don't know about this year's admission, but from what I've seen from last year's forum, the earliest is Feb 18. 

18 minutes ago, Keeli said:

That's exactly what I did after seeing that posted result. :D

Yea, I have to agree this is way too early to receive any decision from Columbia. I was kinda surprised. Maybe there is something we don't know about this year's admission, but from what I've seen from last year's forum, the earliest is Feb 18. 

Maybe we should contact admissions and ask? May not hurt. 

4 hours ago, adorablepancreas said:

I'm also curious: which method and area of practice are you all thinking you want to study? I vacillate between all of the methods LOL. I'd love to see real life results by doing direct practice with people but I also want to take part in wider systemic change by working in policy. I'm strongly considering the mezzo AGPP track for that reason. And I think I want to do the Contemporary Social Issues method, though I'm not entirely sure. I want to work with or for the LGBTQ community in some capacity so I'll have to figure out which study areas are the best for that! Luckily as part of the two year program I would have time to choose! 

What is everyone else considering?

I initially was going to apply to the clinical track but ended up applying to the AGPP track for that same reason. I want to get the clinical hours to be able to qualify for the LCSW license if I decide to go down that route but I'm also very interested in macro work. AGPP seems like a good option for that. 

Edited by Kdubbub

Hi all! I am also a MSW 2017 hopeful and have applied to Columbia as well as a few other schools. This morning I called CUSSW admissions to ask a question about my application, and the woman on the phone informed me that DECISIONS WILL BE GOING OUT TODAY AFTER 5:00PM.

I am naturally skeptical about her statement because it seems extremely early to receive an admissions decision already, but am as hopeful as I'm sure you all are...

**NOTE: I applied prior to the December 1st priority deadline**

Here are my stats/info in case anyone would like to compare, share, and/or which may be helpful to others once I post my admission status:

-Graduating in May from SUNY Binghamton

-BS in Human Development

-Minor in Education

-3.32/4.0 Overall GPA (When I originally submitted my application, this was my GPA. I then uploaded a new transcript with an updated GPA of 3.42/4.0, but am unsure if that was factored into the application or not.)

-3.48 Major GPA

-Continuing 2nd year of interning at the Mental Health Association of the Southern Tier, where I work with community members suffering from a variety of mental health issues as I help them understand, handle, and improve their situations through art therapy, individualized and group counseling, and other activities. I also work occasionally on the hotline, where I answer phone calls from people who are suffering from a crisis, just want to vent, etc. Furthermore, I attend events with speakers to learn more about the changing healthcare system, attend advocacy meetings, raise awareness about mental health, etc.

-Completed an internship this past summer under the Director of Social Services at Stony Brook University Hospital - rounded through various units on a weekly basis, working with the individual social worker(s) in each unit. Assisted in managing patient intake and discharge, shadowed social workers, case workers, attending and fellows during intake evaluation sessions, individually researched cases I would be working on, evaluated and interviewed patients individually, wrote clinical social progress notes, lead administrative tasks, worked with CPS and executed outreach with various insurance companies to provide services for each case, attended palliative care meetings, attending behavioral therapy and counseling groups, attended legal team meetings, etc.

-Completed a summer internship at Metro Behavioral Health Associates Eating Disorder Treatment Centers - Shadowed LMSW's and learned about the daily roles of a social worker in a clinical setting, partook in MBHA clinical team meetings on a weekly basis, initiated and conducted outreach to over 100 eating disorder recovery centers across the nation in order to facilitate relationships useful for sending our patients to/receiving patients from higher or lower levels of care, performed administrative tasks, and partook in the upkeep of MBHA's social media outlets and created blog posts.

-Completed a 5-month internship at the Blum Center for Health, where I worked under the supervision of nutritionists to learn about the importance of Functional Medicine through one-on-one appointments with patients. I spent time working in the Blum Kitchen with top chefs to prepare healthy food while teaching patients about culinary education and skills to help them achieve healthy eating habits. I also assisted with taking inventory, answering multi-line phone calls, and organizing and filing confidential information.

-Completed a semester-long internship at the Binghamton University Campus Preschool where I assisted in creating lesson plans focused on the advancement of social, mental, and academic development for 10-15 students. I also collaborated with teachers, aides, and supervisors in a classroom setting to maintain and strengthen leadership skills and maintain student involvement.

-One letter of recommendation from the Director of Social Work Services at Stony Brook University Hospital

-One letter of recommendation from my Professor who taught my Social Justice course

-One letter of recommendation from the Founder and Executive Director of Metro Behavioral Health Associates Eating Disorders Centers

55 minutes ago, AGLMSW said:

Hi all! I am also a MSW 2017 hopeful and have applied to Columbia as well as a few other schools. This morning I called CUSSW admissions to ask a question about my application, and the woman on the phone informed me that DECISIONS WILL BE GOING OUT TODAY AFTER 5:00PM.

I am naturally skeptical about her statement because it seems extremely early to receive an admissions decision already, but am as hopeful as I'm sure you all are...

Here are my stats/info in case anyone would like to compare, share, and/or which may be helpful to others once I post my admission status:

-BS in Human Development

-Minor in Education

-3.32/4.0 Overall GPA (When I originally submitted my application, this was my GPA. I then uploaded a new transcript with an updated GPA of 3.42/4.0, but am unsure if that was factored into the application or not.)

-3.48 Major GPA

-Continuing 2nd year of interning at the Mental Health Association of the Southern Tier, where I work with community members suffering from a variety of mental health issues as I help them understand, handle, and improve their situations through art therapy, individualized and group counseling, and other activities. I also work occasionally on the hotline, where I answer phone calls from people who are suffering from a crisis, just want to vent, etc. Furthermore, I attend events with speakers to learn more about the changing healthcare system, attend advocacy meetings, raise awareness about mental health, etc.

-Completed an internship this past summer under the Director of Social Services at Stony Brook University Hospital - rounded through various units on a weekly basis, working with the individual social worker(s) in each unit. Assisted in managing patient intake and discharge, shadowed social workers, case workers, attending and fellows during intake evaluation sessions, individually researched cases I would be working on, evaluated and interviewed patients individually, wrote clinical social progress notes, lead administrative tasks, worked with CPS and executed outreach with various insurance companies to provide services for each case, attended palliative care meetings, attending behavioral therapy and counseling groups, attended legal team meetings, etc.

-Completed a summer internship at Metro Behavioral Health Associates Eating Disorder Treatment Centers - Shadowed LMSW's and learned about the daily roles of a social worker in a clinical setting, partook in MBHA clinical team meetings on a weekly basis, initiated and conducted outreach to over 100 eating disorder recovery centers across the nation in order to facilitate relationships useful for sending our patients to/receiving patients from higher or lower levels of care, performed administrative tasks, and partook in the upkeep of MBHA's social media outlets and created blog posts.

-Completed a 5-month internship at the Blum Center for Health, where I worked under the supervision of nutritionists to learn about the importance of Functional Medicine through one-on-one appointments with patients. I spent time working in the Blum Kitchen with top chefs to prepare healthy food while teaching patients about culinary education and skills to help them achieve healthy eating habits. I also assisted with taking inventory, answering multi-line phone calls, and organizing and filing confidential information.

-Completed a semester-long internship at the Binghamton University Campus Preschool where I assisted in creating lesson plans focused on the advancement of social, mental, and academic development for 10-15 students. I also collaborated with teachers, aides, and supervisors in a classroom setting to maintain and strengthen leadership skills and maintain student involvement.

-One letter of recommendation from the Director of Social Work Services at Stony Brook University Hospital

-One letter of recommendation from my Professor who taught my Social Justice course

-One letter of recommendation from the Founder and Executive Director of Metro Behavioral Health Associates Eating Disorders Centers

TODAY?!? Holy wow that's super surprising. I'm a little skeptical about that too, but honestly I can't help but be hopeful!!!! 

Best of luck to you! 

4 hours ago, AGLMSW said:

-BS in Human Development

-Minor in Education

-3.48 Major GPA

Congrats on being admitted! How exciting! I hope more of us hear early.  Was your application also complete before Dec 1? I too submitted my application before the Dec deadline but it wasnt complete until today. So I'm wondering if it still my take a while for me to hear back.

Hello all! I have never posted here, but have been following your posts as I also applied to Columbia's MSW program (2 year, online, although I will likely complete my second year in NY if I select CU as my school as most of my family lives in the area and my husband loves it). I received my acceptance on the 14th (I think my post in the survey is the one that people were wondering about, so I thought I would share!). I only applied to 3 schools and am now just waiting to hear back from the University of Washington as that is where I received my undergraduate degree, and Seattle is home. UW won't likely send their decisions until May, which feels very far away at this point. My only hesitancy about CU is the cost of attendance. I am waiting to get all of my financial information from the school, hopefully that will help guide my decision! I was just as surprised as anyone about how early my decision was made. It was a pleasant surprise. I also just want to say that it is encouraging and calming to see all of your posts, reminding me that we are not alone in the stressful process that is applying to grad school. Best of luck to all of you!

34 minutes ago, dps said:

Hello all! I have never posted here, but have been following your posts as I also applied to Columbia's MSW program (2 year, online, although I will likely complete my second year in NY if I select CU as my school as most of my family lives in the area and my husband loves it). I received my acceptance on the 14th (I think my post in the survey is the one that people were wondering about, so I thought I would share!). I only applied to 3 schools and am now just waiting to hear back from the University of Washington as that is where I received my undergraduate degree, and Seattle is home. UW won't likely send their decisions until May, which feels very far away at this point. My only hesitancy about CU is the cost of attendance. I am waiting to get all of my financial information from the school, hopefully that will help guide my decision! I was just as surprised as anyone about how early my decision was made. It was a pleasant surprise. I also just want to say that it is encouraging and calming to see all of your posts, reminding me that we are not alone in the stressful process that is applying to grad school. Best of luck to all of you!

Wow, congratulations on your acceptance!! How early was your application complete? 

Best of luck with your other schools, and with making your decision!

10 hours ago, adorablepancreas said:

Wow, congratulations on your acceptance!! How early was your application complete? 

Best of luck with your other schools, and with making your decision!

Thank you! I completed my application on the 29th of November, just before the priority deadline. I was not anticipating a response until a later date, but maybe they have changed their process this year. Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, dps said:

Thank you! I completed my application on the 29th of November, just before the priority deadline. I was not anticipating a response until a later date, but maybe they have changed their process this year. Best of luck to you!

Thank you! I submitted mine on the 28th of November, and my last recommendation letter was submitted on the 1st of December. Hoping I hear back very soon! 

17 hours ago, Kdubbub said:

Congrats on being admitted! How exciting! I hope more of us hear early.  Was your application also complete before Dec 1? I too submitted my application before the Dec deadline but it wasnt complete until today. So I'm wondering if it still my take a while for me to hear back.

Thank you!! I submitted my application on November 29th and got an email the next day saying it was complete and ready for review.

4 hours ago, adorablepancreas said:

Awesome. I will continue to check my email every five minutes lol. Still haven't heard anything! I think they send out decisions in waves. 

Best of luck to you!!! I'm sure you will hear back soon!