HSS interview at Penn

jazzman

Thanks! It's rare in History of Science to get an in-person interview, I think UPenn is the only one that conducts them. I was hoping to maybe come across others who've gotten a Upenn interview, either in this cycle or previous ones. But apparently not many HOS students frequent gradcafe. Where are you at, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi jazzman! First time posting on GradCafe (but I am a frequent lurker) and have also been asked to interview for Penn HSS. I've interview for one other PhD program this cycle, but it's my first time applying so don't really know much about the process either! 

I applied to Penn, Yale, Brown, Princeton, Columbia and NYU. Congrats on the JH interview, I heard JH is very competitive. Although the same is probably true for all of these unis. I may also apply to UofT, deadlines not for another week or so. Haven't made up my mind. 

What Canadian uni are you at now? 

I got an email recently from the coordinator at Penn, confirming my interview date and promising to send more info soon... you? 

Nice ! And thank you! They actually have you visit in the fall term before you apply. Yeah I think they're all quite competitive but it has definitely been a slight relief to have made it to the interview stage. Do any of the other schools you're applying to interview? 

And I'm at McGill! Whereabouts are you? 

Yes I got the same! 

I thought I'd just poke my head in here and say that I'm another HoS person that floats around. I think @nevermind and myself are the only recently active students. 

Unfortunately, I did not apply to UPenn last year, so I don't really know how their procedures play out. But I wanted to wish you good luck, all the same. So, good luck. :) 

23 hours ago, Neist said:

I thought I'd just poke my head in here and say that I'm another HoS person that floats around. I think @nevermind and myself are the only recently active students. 

Unfortunately, I did not apply to UPenn last year, so I don't really know how their procedures play out. But I wanted to wish you good luck, all the same. So, good luck. :) 

Thanks!

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎08 at 9:42 AM, telizabeth said:

Nice ! And thank you! They actually have you visit in the fall term before you apply. Yeah I think they're all quite competitive but it has definitely been a slight relief to have made it to the interview stage. Do any of the other schools you're applying to interview? 

And I'm at McGill! Whereabouts are you? 

Yes I got the same! 

Oh definitely. Huge relief. No, the other schools I've applied to don't interview, as far as I know, but there have been odd over the phone interviews at Yale, and Brown. Who knows...

Do you know how many students they interview at Penn? Kind of curious to know the acceptance rate. When I spoke they said about 20 students, but then they clarified, a student a week. Doesn't make sense, as there is only 4 interview dates to choose from. So either they've misspoke or most don't show up. I know, from other Ivys, each school gives about 10 offers, hoping to get 4-6 students. Usually only 2-3 accept. And the pool of potential students is pretty much the same across all Ivys. They're all competing for the same 10 students, or 10-15, give or take. So in your case, getting interviews from both Penn and JHU makes you a pretty strong candidate. And Yes I realize JHU is not an Ivy but still an excellent school. Good luck!

Edited by jazzman

On January 9, 2017 at 9:40 AM, jazzman said:

Thanks!

Oh definitely. Huge relief. No, the other schools I've applied to don't interview, as far as I know, but there have been odd over the phone interviews at Yale, and Brown. Who knows...

Do you know how many students they interview at Penn? Kind of curious to know the acceptance rate. When I spoke they said about 20 students, but then they clarified, a student a week. Doesn't make sense, as there is only 4 interview dates to choose from. So either they've misspoke or most don't show up. I know, from other Ivys, each school gives about 10 offers, hoping to get 4-6 students. Usually only 2-3 accept. And the pool of potential students is pretty much the same across all Ivys. They're all competing for the same 10 students, or 10-15, give or take. So in your case, getting interviews from both Penn and JHU makes you a pretty strong candidate. And Yes I realize JHU is not an Ivy but still an excellent school. Good luck!

Thank you - best of luck to you as well! And I have no idea re: the number of students who are interviewed. When speaking with another Ivy they said they usually have around 24 applicants and accept 3-4 students, so I would be shocked if Penn interviewed 20. I feel like I had read somewhere that they interview about 7 to 8 students but I can't recall. 

And broadly speaking I'm interested in history of biomedical knowledge within the twentieth century as it relates to the construction of diagnostic categories and cultural conceptualizations of disease, etc. What about you all?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 0:57 PM, grubyczarnykot said:

Just chiming in to say hi, I'm another History of Science/Medicine person. I am switching fields from English/Cultural Studies, and the boards for HoS/M are sooo much quieter than the ones for literature! 

Welcome!This is perhaps off-topic, but what are you interested in? Where did you apply?

Hi everyone, another HoS person here. Yes, I also wonder why the boards are so quiet...there's another thread in this forum called "science and technology studies 2017" where a couple of us HoS people found each other. 

@Neist and @nevermind -- I've seen your posts here and there! Really appreciate your contributions. 

I'm interested in histories of biology, evolution, and the environment. Just received my first unofficial offer from uchicago, and have an interview at MIT (HASTS) coming up, which I am very nervous/excited for. Have a few more places to hear back from, but I'm already thrilled about UofC and the research fit there. If anyone has any advice or insight into their program, I would really appreciate it (I'm an international student, so I have limited resources to go visit and take a look. I've been to UofC's campus a couple times before, just never had the chance to explore the history or HoS department).

8 hours ago, viridian said:

I'm interested in histories of biology, evolution, and the environment. Just received my first unofficial offer from uchicago, and have an interview at MIT (HASTS) coming up, which I am very nervous/excited for. Have a few more places to hear back from, but I'm already thrilled about UofC and the research fit there. If anyone has any advice or insight into their program, I would really appreciate it (I'm an international student, so I have limited resources to go visit and take a look. I've been to UofC's campus a couple times before, just never had the chance to explore the history or HoS department).

Congrats on the unofficial offer and interview invitation! I study a similar field. I'm interested in heredity, so eugenics, genetics, and evolution all encompass some facet of my interests. 

I agree that U. of Chicago is a pretty phenomenal fit for the history of biology (and the history of the book, via Adrian Johns, one of my other interests). I was tempted to apply to their program, familial obligations make it currently difficult.

Edited by Neist
Clarification.

15 hours ago, Neist said:

Welcome!This is perhaps off-topic, but what are you interested in? Where did you apply?

Hey! I am interested in history of psychiatry/psychology, my project is kind of an interdisciplinary mess right now but it's a combination of medical history, labor history, disability studies, and trauma studies. I missed a lot of deadlines this year but I ended up making York (STS), U of Toronto (IHPST), and Johns Hopkins (HoS). I applied to MAs and PhDs since I'm switching fields from film/cultural studies. What about you???

Edited by grubyczarnykot
typo

I'm already attending. :) I applied last year. I'm in a dual MA/MLIS program at the University of Oklahoma.

Concerning my studies, I'm interested in the history of the book and the history of biology. It's an odd combination that doesn't lend itself well to a lot of programs, and to be honest, the program I'm attending is probably one of the best places for me given my current scholarly development. Concerning the future, I'm still unsure if I'll go for a Ph.D. or where I'd go for a Ph.D., be it here or another program. The history of science Ph.D. program at OU seems relatively feasible to roll into after my MA, but who knows where I'll be as a scholar or how my interests will develop in a couple of years.

Did you consider the U. of Pittsburgh? I admittedly know very little about their program, but your interests are among their stated emphasis.

8 hours ago, viridian said:

Hi everyone, another HoS person here. Yes, I also wonder why the boards are so quiet...there's another thread in this forum called "science and technology studies 2017" where a couple of us HoS people found each other. 

@Neist and @nevermind -- I've seen your posts here and there! Really appreciate your contributions. 

Wow, congrats on both! MIT HASTS is like a dream program for me, but I didn't apply ($100 for a likely rejection letter? No thanks!) last year. It's very competitive, so that's really impressive that you've even made it to the interview stage!

13 hours ago, Neist said:

I'm interested in heredity, so eugenics, genetics, and evolution all encompass some facet of my interests. 

I agree that U. of Chicago is a pretty phenomenal fit for the history of biology (and the history of the book, via Adrian Johns, one of my other interests). I was tempted to apply to their program, familial obligations make it currently difficult.

oooh yes this is all stuff that bangs my happy gong. I took a few courses in history of medicine & bioethics, and was fascinated by the history of heredity/genetics/eugenics. I am curious to hear if those interests intersect in any way with the history of the book -- not that they have to. I know next to nothing about the latter, to surely my own detriment. But it seems like uchicago would be fantastic fit for you, if you choose to continue with a phd. I plan to attend the prospective students' event in march, so if you want some pre-applying info just let me know. I also understand how obligations can get in the way -- i am finally applying for phd programs this year, after many years on the back burner. is the dual MA/MLIS program 2 years? or longer? do you still have some time to mull over your next move?

I might take you up on some info later! It'll be a while, yet, as my program is designed for at least 3 years. Although, I'll probably take longer (aiming for 3.5 years). Two complete masters degrees in three years is a bit much, and that pace wouldn't allow me to develop as a scholar, and I have funding for five years. So, basically, yeah, I have a while to mull it over. :)

Regarding my interests, more than the history of the book, I'm interested in the history of reading and how what we read affects our perceptions of science. So, for example, how did a widely read book like Silent Spring or The Water Babies alter perceptions of biological concepts? I'm interested in questions like that.

And I agree, Chicago would be a good spot. :) 

• 4 weeks later...