UChicago SSA Fall 2017 A.M. applicants

qt_dnvr

Didn't see one of these yet for this cycle. Anyone else Apply by December 1st? I'm starting to get extra nervous.

I have a pretty high GPA but am coming from the Humanities with a background in community organizing/activism. Shooting for clinical, to boot.

I'm applying here, but didn't make the December 1st deadline. UChicago is actually the only school I haven't finished the application for yet. I had to write a few different Personal Statements and once I finished those its been harder for me to find the motivation to finish the one for Uchicago. I'll definitely make the next deadline though!

So on the spirit of anxiety based research: Looks like based on the result board that batches of decisions come on Fridays...

Im guessing early deadline admits will come out between the 27th and the 3rd? Maybe as early as the 20th and as late as the 10th?

I'm trying to prepare myself to check my status and find out after work so I don't give away my plan (or failed plan) to quit in a few months out of excitement/disappointment.

• 3 weeks later...

It does seem pretty high correlation to Fridays, though not exclusively. Apparently priority deadliners should hear "during the first week of February." 

That's basically starting Wednesday, right?

A million years ago I was going to apply to Law school and I found that prospective law students are by and large, very anxious and also, relatedly, very good at gathering information on that which stresses them. I'm sure our JD equivalents have a graph, a searchable database and an admission prediction modeler for UChicago where we have a hunch that Friday is the day.

I have it too!

Well this didnt help my day job productivity....

Edit: 

This post from Harris last year notes that most people got decisions after business hours the same day they saw this documents icon. 

Fingers crossed!

Edited by qt_dnvr

Will you attend?

we will get an additional letter with the financial aid package, right?

i got the deans distinguished leadership award but of course I'd really like more help where I can get it...

Got an additional award after review of my FAFSA. They also let me know if I was eligible for federal financial aid I would get work study of up to 4,500 per year and loans for the cost of attendance remaining. 

I had a goal in mind for funding and they just barely exceeded it!

I deposited today and am focusing on my outside scholarship applications. Glad this part is over.

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2017 at 8:38 PM, TheCrow said:

Congrats on getting in!

Just as a note, you can bring in up to $5000 in external funding a year before they reduce your SSA award. 

I saw that in the manual when I was late-night creeping and set my funding goal as an amount I would feel comfortable with alone or with an additional 5k, not more. I applied to mostly 2-5k awards but I do have one scholarship I'm still being considered for that's "last provider" funding, so I have no idea how'd they balance that should I be so fortunate to receive it. 

Have you found the budget to be reasonable? Like books are 500 a quarter, room and board is about 14,000 (not looking at the site right now) for the 9 months, etc? I was able to take out less loans than I was offered in Undergrad by keeping expenses lower than anticipated but this time I'm moving cities and want to be sure that's feasible. My partner and I plan on continuing to split expenses as though we're roommates.

10 hours ago, qt_dnvr said:

I saw that in the manual when I was late-night creeping and set my funding goal as an amount I would feel comfortable with alone or with an additional 5k, not more. I applied to mostly 2-5k awards but I do have one scholarship I'm still being considered for that's "last provider" funding, so I have no idea how'd they balance that should I be so fortunate to receive it. 

Have you found the budget to be reasonable? Like books are 500 a quarter, room and board is about 14,000 (not looking at the site right now) for the 9 months, etc? I was able to take out less loans than I was offered in Undergrad by keeping expenses lower than anticipated but this time I'm moving cities and want to be sure that's feasible. My partner and I plan on continuing to split expenses as though we're roommates.

I think professors try pretty hard not to use many textbooks, though in your first two quarters that may be less true. In terms of room and board, there's basically no graduate housing - you're gonna have to get somewhere "off campus" and you're not going to be at school enough to really be eating meals on campus.

Housing costs depend a lot on where you live and at least my year SSA was really unhelpful with that. I would check UChicago's marketplace (which is like a UChicago-only version of craigslist). If you want a studio, you'll often pay $1000+ a month, but if you're okay with living with other people, you can bring that cost down quite reasonably. I spent $625 a month my first year and and $665 my second year a month to live with two roommates in Hyde Park.

There are significant advantages and disadvantages to living in different places and it's hard as a first year since you don't know where you're field placement will be before you commit to housing. I lived in Hyde Park both years - the public transportation is just not that good in my opinion to be commuting in and out a ton every week. Hyde Park is also cheaper than many other neighborhoods. 

6 hours ago, ryyc said:

For those that applied for the Jan. 15th deadline, any word? I'm still waiting.

I applied for the 1/15 deadline and received my decision via the online portal last Friday. I was accepted with a nice merit scholarship. I had previously been told that they expected to send out all 1/15 applicant decisions by March 15th so hopefully you should hear something very soon. I never did get an email, just logged into the application portal and saw the decision documents tab. Good luck!

Anyone know what's going on with the Jan. 15th deadline? The website says decisions by March 15, but that was yesterday. I emailed the admissions person assigned to me this morning, but I haven't heard back.