UChicago SSA Fall 2017 A.M. applicants

qt_dnvr

1 hour ago, Sarah412 said:

Anyone know what's going on with the Jan. 15th deadline? The website says decisions by March 15, but that was yesterday. I emailed the admissions person assigned to me this morning, but I haven't heard back. 

Did you get the email just now? Apparently it's taking longer than expected so I guess the wait continues.

25 minutes ago, ryyc said:

Did you get the email just now? Apparently it's taking longer than expected so I guess the wait continues.

I did not get the email. What did it say? Do they have any idea as to when the decisions will actually go out?

22 minutes ago, Sarah412 said:

I did not get the email. What did it say? Do they have any idea as to when the decisions will actually go out?

The email read: Thank you for your patience as we review your application. Although we anticipated releasing your decision by March 15, the review process is taking longer than expected. Our holistic review process and careful consideration of each application sometimes makes for a lengthy review process. However, we hope to release your decision soon.

When a decision has been released, you will receive an email notifying you that your application status has changed. You can then log into your application portal to view the decision. 

Please don't hesitate to contact your admissions counselor with any questions. Have a great day!

Doesn't look like there's a date that we will hear by unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, ryyc said:

The email read: Thank you for your patience as we review your application. Although we anticipated releasing your decision by March 15, the review process is taking longer than expected. Our holistic review process and careful consideration of each application sometimes makes for a lengthy review process. However, we hope to release your decision soon.

When a decision has been released, you will receive an email notifying you that your application status has changed. You can then log into your application portal to view the decision. 

Please don't hesitate to contact your admissions counselor with any questions. Have a great day!

Doesn't look like there's a date that we will hear by unfortunately. 

Thanks so much for copying and pasting that!

I was admitted on 3/10, and notified of institutional scholarships but nothing on federal aid yet. Has anyone heard about federal aid? Also, has anyone appealed for more scholarship funding/does anyone know if they review those requests or not?

On 3/24/2017 at 7:38 PM, mlm23 said:

I was admitted on 3/10, and notified of institutional scholarships but nothing on federal aid yet. Has anyone heard about federal aid? Also, has anyone appealed for more scholarship funding/does anyone know if they review those requests or not?

There's no federal grant aid for grad school like there is for undergrad. You will qualify for unsubsidized Stafford loans, 20,500 per year, probably (?) around 5k in Federal Work Study, and then Grad Plus Loans which requires you have sufficient credit. I asked for more and they added what they described as a small scholarship related to my FAFSA that was already in process. 

18 hours ago, qt_dnvr said:

There's no federal grant aid for grad school like there is for undergrad. You will qualify for unsubsidized Stafford loans, 20,500 per year, probably (?) around 5k in Federal Work Study, and then Grad Plus Loans which requires you have sufficient credit. I asked for more and they added what they described as a small scholarship related to my FAFSA that was already in process. 

Thanks! How did you go about asking for more? I'm not sure if my admissions counselor would be the right person to ask, but haven't found any contacts for financial aid.

On 3/26/2017 at 2:48 PM, mlm23 said:

Thanks! How did you go about asking for more? I'm not sure if my admissions counselor would be the right person to ask, but haven't found any contacts for financial aid.

I asked the admissions contact if "there was a procedure to ask for reconsideration". I didn't actually get around to asking, as her response was there was an additional grant coming. 

You would want to ask admissions, they administer the SSA scholarships. Financial aid would only control the Workstudy and the loans.

On 3/31/2017 at 2:25 AM, ryyc said:

Are any of you guys going to admittance day? And for those that are out of state, what do you guys do for housing?

I am! I'm staying with a friend, but if you don't know anyone in Chicago I'd try Airbnb