CUNY comparative literature deadline

Hi, does anyone know what time the deadline for CUNY complit is? I`m currently in Japan on holiday and i forgot to bring my laptop charger (yes i know very dumb) which resulted in not being able to submit my application. But because of the time difference when I go back home I will still have a few hours. Just wanted to check that the deadline is at the end of the day not some time before. It only says 1 Jan on the website so I`m assuming this must be the case. Anyone who knows about it please let me know!  

Er- honestly it would be much smarter to buy a new charger and submit your app. What if your flight back is late? It will cost you less to buy a charger and submit your app now, than coping with a possible problem and not being able to send in your application...

I've actually emailed CUNY about the deadline before and received a vague Jan 1st response. I assume it's by end of day, but remember that's east coast time. If you're a west coaster make sure you have it in before 9pm. If it were me I'd forgo buying a new charger and just lurk at a coffee shop till I saw someone with my charger. Or do the same thing at the airport! Good luck!

Thanks yanaka and louise for advice. My laptop is Acer and it`s pretty hard to find where to buy the charger. I`m not in Tokyo so it`s even harder to find shops. This experience made me realise I should buy an Apple next time haha... 

I don't want to be a downer or insulting, but if you get accepted into CUNY, I would highly recommend visiting (if you are able) before you accept. They have an extremely unusual setup, and they are in a space that is really hard to find housing near especially for poor grad students. They told me that student housing is available, but they also said to me, "you won't get in the housing, because of the long wait list, so figure something out." I don't want to discourage anyone or tell anyone that the school is bad, but my visit was enough to make me scrap my application. So, if you like the program and the facilities, good! Just make sure you look into it.

11 hours ago, WildeThing said:

What do you mean by unusual setup? Is that a separate issue?

So I really just meant that the school is just one singular building in Midtown. I guess any university in a city won't have much of a campus, but you know, NYU is several different buildings. CUNY just looks like an office building, and all of your classes are there. If you teach, it'll be someplace else, but other than that, you're headed to the same place every single day and I just really hated the feel of it. Plus, it's in a very busy and expensive part of the city, it's something like 7 blocks north and three blocks over from Times Square. I don't know, but as soon as I got there I knew that it wasn't the place for me, which is unusual, because I liked their program more than some other places, just hated the actual physical setup..

It's so funny you comment on the location being a negative because I'm quite relieved to learn it's just below Midtown! I thought CUNY was right near Harlem. Yes, Midtown is dreadful, but at least the location makes it possible to commute from Brooklyn. The F train was my jam when I lived there and it goes to 34th street which is just a couple blocks from the Grad Center.  And let's not forget the blessed Q train which is so speedy!!

This is all just to say that personal preference changes everything (not that you opined otherwise JessicaLange). And I appreciate your input on this.

Edited by LouisePlease

On 1/3/2017 at 11:11 AM, JessicaLange said:

I don't want to be a downer or insulting, but if you get accepted into CUNY, I would highly recommend visiting (if you are able) before you accept. They have an extremely unusual setup, and they are in a space that is really hard to find housing near especially for poor grad students. They told me that student housing is available, but they also said to me, "you won't get in the housing, because of the long wait list, so figure something out." I don't want to discourage anyone or tell anyone that the school is bad, but my visit was enough to make me scrap my application. So, if you like the program and the facilities, good! Just make sure you look into it.

Thanks for the tip, Jessica. Well i mean I gotta get in first to worry about these things.... But yeh I applied to NYU too and if I move to NYC it'll be a whole lot different setup in life overall. ATM it is quite low in my worry list tho. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any opinions about CUNY's Comparative Literature academics? The program looks sexy to me, I like most of the profs, the courses look good, etc. I have been offered a spot in their MA program and also a slot in (don't ask me how I found this school, but it looks surprisingly great) Kent University (not the one you've heard of, this one is in the UK). Why are European programs so brief? Is this bad? Also, I checked out comp lit program rankings on phds.org and CUNY ranks at 41 of all 46 programs in the US. YEESH! However, their data collection methods are mysterious and cryptic (for me at least). Perhaps these surveys are incapable of grasping the nuances that actually make a comparative literature program good? I hope so! I don't want to rack debt up on a program that will earn me a nice shart stain on my CV. Any opinions?