Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

I got an interview, now what does that mean?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sublime

sublime

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Program:Psychology Phd

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:34 AM

Hi everyone,

I got an interview for a social psych PhD program. It's one of my top choices, so I am very excited. Does anyone know, in general, how many people get invited to psych program interview days vs how many get accepted? Also, what can I expect from the weekend?

Looking forward to your responses :)

#2 digits2006

digits2006

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSouth
  • Application Season:2013 Fall
  • Program:Psychology

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

That is awesome! If you don't mind me asking, which school is this?

PhD student starting in Aug 2013! Already have my MA.

#3 socialpsych

socialpsych

Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:organizational behavior

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:06 AM

It can be anywhere from about 15% to 80-90%...sorry, that probably doesn't help much!

As for what to expect: a lot of one-on-one meetings (probably back to back) with professors (POI[s] and others) and possibly current students; several information sessions about life in the program; a tour of the campus, and possibly the surrounding town; and at least one nice dinner/party with time for mingling.

Congratulations, and good luck...you're officially on to the fun part of this whole process!

#4 katciao

katciao

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
  • Program:Social (Health) Psych

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

It can be anywhere from about 15% to 80-90%...sorry, that probably doesn't help much!

As for what to expect: a lot of one-on-one meetings (probably back to back) with professors (POI[s] and others) and possibly current students; several information sessions about life in the program; a tour of the campus, and possibly the surrounding town; and at least one nice dinner/party with time for mingling.

Congratulations, and good luck...you're officially on to the fun part of this whole process!

How does one prepare for recruitment weekend (deciding what to say/not say at interviews, wear, bring to campus and host's home, etc.)?

Thanks!

#5 socialpsych

socialpsych

Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:organizational behavior

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

How does one prepare for recruitment weekend (deciding what to say/not say at interviews, wear, bring to campus and host's home, etc.)?

There have been about a bajillion threads on each of these topics.

As a start, see: http://forum.thegrad...__1 -- I think this and the threads linked from that thread should address most of your questions.

#6 sublime

sublime

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Program:Psychology Phd

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

thanks everyone. that link helped a lot.

lets continue to talk about this topic, i'm sure there are many nervous interviewees out there like me!

Edited by sublime, 23 January 2010 - 09:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users