Post Interview Rejection

jeanetics17

In preparation for interview season, I have a burning question for applicants from previous cycles. For those of you rejected post-interview, do you know why you were rejected? Did you feel that you would be rejected immediately after the interview (i.e. the interview went poorly)? Or did you ever find out from the school why you were rejected? 

I'm just trying to figure out what would warrant someone being rejected post interview. Any feedback would be great, thanks. 

When I got rejected post-interview, it was always a generic rejection. But, whenever I emailed the faculty about it, I got answers (e.g., other candidates were a better research fit; my lack of teaching experience). I left each interview with a good sense of whether or not I would be accepted. My gut feeling was right in each case. My actual rejections usually came a few weeks post-interview.

1 hour ago, jeanetics17 said:

In preparation for interview season, I have a burning question for applicants from previous cycles. For those of you rejected post-interview, do you know why you were rejected? Did you feel that you would be rejected immediately after the interview (i.e. the interview went poorly)? Or did you ever find out from the school why you were rejected? 

I'm just trying to figure out what would warrant someone being rejected post interview. Any feedback would be great, thanks. 

Thanks for giving me something else to worry about lol

It wasn't interviews exactly but when I met/talked over the phone with several POI I could tell that I wasn't going to be accepted. I was rejected by four schools. Two I never received positive reassurance or negative so those were very big question marks. Two other schools gave me their reasons. The main reasons were lack of fit (didn't have enough history classes) or they seemed less than impressed by me (they said they prefer their students to have several years of working experience, I had collectively 3ish-4 but I was applying as an undergrad) . Interviews aren't common compared to other fields but the more correspondence I received from a school were the ones I was accepted into.