Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

4 minutes ago, Aucitronvert said:

I looked into them a tiny bit but I will admit that I didn't give myself enough time to seriously consider enough schools! No one stood out to me there iirc, but now I know next year that I should be casting a wider net for sure. I was very fixated on embodiment/identity gender this year. Thank you, I'll look at them much more carefully this time!

I just emailed the folks who waitlisted me last night after reading some good advice on grad cafe to ask how they rank the list/where I'm on it! You're right, it may work out :)

Fingers crossed for you! I've always heard that mid-march is when the waitlists really start moving. 

6 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Where do you have acceptances to?

I would suggest you bring a few different outfits if the visits are overnight, or have a few different "events". Bring a more professional look for most of it - like black slacks, a nice blouse, maybe a professional type jacket. Then a more dressed up type of look in case they have a dinner thing - a cute (but not revealing!) dress round knee length or a skirt and nice top to go with it. I would also bring a more casual outfit in case the next morning there's like an informal breakfast or meet and greet tours with current students - nice jeans (no tears, and darker in color tends to look nicer normally) and a nice sweater (if your touring a colder region)

Thank you so much! I'll definitely make sure I have those options. I've been accepted to Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, and UConn. I declined my UConn offer this weekend.

2 minutes ago, soci said:

Thank you so much! I'll definitely make sure I have those options. I've been accepted to Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, and UConn. I declined my UConn offer this weekend.

Oh no :( You were a fellow Uconn admit with me in the 8! Out of curiosity, may I ask how your funding offer there compared to the others?

I totally understand why you declined though, Penn State is such a great choice!

12 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Fingers crossed for you! I've always heard that mid-march is when the waitlists really start moving. 

Thank you!! I ran out of up votes but appreciate it! Funnily enough I just got an e-mail back from my waitlisters and they are SO nice that it makes me want to go there just based on kindness, lol. There's no number ranking so we'll never know what's gonna happen!

7 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Oh no :( You were a fellow Uconn admit with me in the 8! Out of curiosity, may I ask how your funding offer there compared to the others?

I totally understand why you declined though, Penn State is such a great choice!

The stipend they offered me was pretty good, but my offer letter made it pretty clear that continued funding isn't guaranteed. I've been offered amazing funding packages from Penn State and Minnesota, with guaranteed continued funding. 

3 minutes ago, Aucitronvert said:

Thank you!! I ran out of up votes but appreciate it! Funnily enough I just got an e-mail back from my waitlisters and they are SO nice that it makes me want to go there just based on kindness, lol. There's no number ranking so we'll never know what's gonna happen!

Well thats strange, there is no method to picking people off the waitlist?!

3 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Well thats strange, there is no method to picking people off the waitlist?!

They said that they don't rank the waitlist at all for the first go. They return to the waitlist once someone has declined an offer and rank it then, which tells me that no one has turned down the acceptance yet (why would they, it's too early for acceptance season to be over! You're probably right about mid-March). He also said that they try to determine who is the best fit with research interests and faculty, which is vague but I understand there's probably a lot of nuance to these decisions. 

3 minutes ago, soci said:

The stipend they offered me was pretty good, but my offer letter made it pretty clear that continued funding isn't guaranteed. I've been offered amazing funding packages from Penn State and Minnesota, with guaranteed continued funding. 

Oh weird, maybe I should be reading more into my offer there...

The way it read to me was that basically funding is almost always continued as long as you have been progressing in the program, have a good job review, and the school doesn't suddenly like slash the dept. budget. I thought those were pretty typical things most schools say in regards to funding. 

I'll def. have to ask specifically about this when I go. 

4 minutes ago, Aucitronvert said:

They said that they don't rank the waitlist at all for the first go. They return to the waitlist once someone has declined an offer and rank it then, which tells me that no one has turned down the acceptance yet (why would they, it's too early for acceptance season to be over! You're probably right about mid-March). He also said that they try to determine who is the best fit with research interests and faculty, which is vague but I understand there's probably a lot of nuance to these decisions. 

Wow, that's not straight forward at all. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Oh weird, maybe I should be reading more into my offer there...

The way it read to me was that basically funding is almost always continued as long as you have been progressing in the program, have a good job review, and the school doesn't suddenly like slash the dept. budget. I thought those were pretty typical things most schools say in regards to funding. 

I'll def. have to ask specifically about this when I go. 

I may be reading into it too much then! I declined based on fit, not on the funding package. 

10 minutes ago, sociologicalpizza said:

What is the name of that book that everybody keeps talking about- the one about the graduate admissions process? I tried to retrace the threads and find it but I couldn't

Inside Graduate Admissions: Merit, Diversity, and Faculty Gatekeeping - Posselt 

I am noticing a lot of people being either rejected or wait listed. Although I have encountered 3 rejections, I am not getting any wait lists. Do they notify you of when you are wait listed? I ask because I am assuming that my low rates rejections might imply I am potentially being considered. However, wouldnt a consideration imply some sort of wait list? But if i am not being notified of a wait list, does that mean I am not being considered? Perhaps the programs I applied to dont particularly wait list and this logic doesnt apply.

Applied 12/12

Brandeis, UT Austin, UC irvine, UMD, UVA, GMU, UPenn (Sociology)

Chicago, BC, and Commonwealth (Social Work)

UMD, Loyola Chicago (Research methods)

Interviewed 1/12 (Loyola Chicago)

Accepted 0/12

Declined 3/12 (UT Austin, UMD (MSE), UMD (Sociology))

Edited by inooradd

35 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

I would suggest you bring a few different outfits if the visits are overnight, or have a few different "events". Bring a more professional look for most of it - like black slacks, a nice blouse, maybe a professional type jacket. Then a more dressed up type of look in case they have a dinner thing - a cute (but not revealing!) dress round knee length or a skirt and nice top to go with it. I would also bring a more casual outfit in case the next morning there's like an informal breakfast or meet and greet tours with current students - nice jeans (no tears, and darker in color tends to look nicer normally) and a nice sweater (if your touring a colder region)

@soci

I think the above is all perfect- I'll add to do flats or short heals (nothing over an inch or so), or nice boots (clean, no tears, nothing with all kinds of weird buckles or western- but something to consider especially if you are somewhere cold).  No one thinks of shoes until you bring the wrong ones and your feet hurt or you are slipping all over the ice (I learned this at my first conference).  

I’m sure each school handles waitlists differently, but I’ve heard that some schools replace whoever declined an offer with someone with similar interests. This is probably because they can’t have too many candidates who would like to study with one advisor, and also handles situations in which say only one spot opens up and advisors disagree on who should fill that spot. That said, if there is a clearly strong candidate they may choose them over someone who has similar interests to the applicant who declined the offer.

13 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

I’m sure each school handles waitlists differently, but I’ve heard that some schools replace whoever declined an offer with someone with similar interests. This is probably because they can’t have too many candidates who would like to study with one advisor, and also handles situations in which say only one spot opens up and advisors disagree on who should fill that spot. That said, if there is a clearly strong candidate they may choose them over someone who has similar interests to the applicant who declined the offer.

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the response as this adds some extra depth to the admissions process.

14 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Last year I was waitlisted at UMass Amherst and this was pretty much how they handled it-- they generally waited until they knew who had accepted their offer and then tried to round out the cohort. They explicitly told me that they looked not only at areas of research interest (not necessarily as specific as pairing you with an advisor, but just general areas of interest) but also at demographics. They were intentional about trying to enroll a cohort that was balanced based on gender, race, etc. 

6 minutes ago, Worktime Calzone said:

You get accepted??

omg no, i didn't apply, i applied two years ago when i was an undergrad, but didn't get in. i should've applied this year tho, i regret not doing so it's such a great program. but it's great seeing so many folks accepted. chicken or egg though. is nyu accepting a lot of students or if more people who are on grad cafe being accepted to nyu. i guess it's an empirical question hehe.. 

16 minutes ago, c11m07 said:

Last year I was waitlisted at UMass Amherst and this was pretty much how they handled it-- they generally waited until they knew who had accepted their offer and then tried to round out the cohort. They explicitly told me that they looked not only at areas of research interest (not necessarily as specific as pairing you with an advisor, but just general areas of interest) but also at demographics. They were intentional about trying to enroll a cohort that was balanced based on gender, race, etc. 

Do you know how many people got off the waitlist?