Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

1 hour ago, csot said:

It's less common but still happens. A couple of schools sent out weekend notifications last year too.

I like to think about it as if they're working round the clock and throughout the weekends because we're all SUCH good candidates this year!

1 hour ago, theorynetworkculture said:

He was not someone I identified in my SOP, but his work is of tangential interest. I imagine he must have been on the admissions committee, but he wasn't the DGS.

I figured from context that it wasn't DGS, b/c I think DGS at NYU is Paula England, who at last notice I don't think was using he/him pronouns lol. So yeah- prob someone on the admissions committee- I wonder if that means, then, that NYU acceptances have all gone out if the adcom was writing to people with whom they hadn't had prior contact?  Chicago did theirs all at once (though it wasn't a personalized email) and UCLA (also a prof from the adcom) I think over 2-3 days maybe.  If they're planning on a cohort of 8, they likely accepted 15-20 students. Sigh.  No more word on Columbia either, huh? Just those two reported calls?

Can someone please explain what continued funding is? What kind of form does continued funding take? Mostly TAship? Or other external fellowship? If the offer letter specifically says the exact years of funding package, does it mean that the funding is fixed and cannot be continued? 

Also, how common is it for program to offer summer funding? What form does it take? Thanks in advance! 

25 minutes ago, nbc21 said:

I figured from context that it wasn't DGS, b/c I think DGS at NYU is Paula England, who at last notice I don't think was using he/him pronouns lol. So yeah- prob someone on the admissions committee- I wonder if that means, then, that NYU acceptances have all gone out if the adcom was writing to people with whom they hadn't had prior contact?  Chicago did theirs all at once (though it wasn't a personalized email) and UCLA (also a prof from the adcom) I think over 2-3 days maybe.  If they're planning on a cohort of 8, they likely accepted 15-20 students. Sigh.  No more word on Columbia either, huh? Just those two reported calls?

I'm dying for more info about Columbia

7 minutes ago, suisui said:

Can someone please explain what continued funding is? What kind of form does continued funding take? Mostly TAship? Or other external fellowship? If the offer letter specifically says the exact years of funding package, does it mean that the funding is fixed and cannot be continued? 

Also, how common is it for program to offer summer funding? What form does it take? Thanks in advance! 

This depends on the program, and should be specified in the offer letter. Typically, continued funding means that for the duration of the period that it's offered, if you meet the requirements for it (be it TAing or what), the department is committing to getting you funding.  After that point (typically the 5 year mark), you're expected to teach or secure other fellowships- it isn't that the department won't fund you, but that they can't guarantee you TAships necessarily.  I know plenty of people who have been in programs much longer than 5 years and have found a way to scrape by while they finish their dissertations.

As for summer funding, this is typically offered as a research fellowship in a lump sum that you have to apply for.  How much/what opportunities there are depend on the department. 

32 minutes ago, nbc21 said:

Yeah, 3 of us here received calls from columbia, but no formal letter yet. That's end of week or next. I'm sure there's more acceptances coming though. I wouldn't sweat it. :)

I am assuming that the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor postings on the results board for admits to the Joint Program in Social Work and Sociology are different from the PhD program in Sociology? Can someone clarify?

33 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

I am assuming that the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor postings on the results board for admits to the Joint Program in Social Work and Sociology are different from the PhD program in Sociology? Can someone clarify?

I'm assuming so... As I have yet to hear back from Michigan and they seem to send out all decisions at once. 

I e-mailed my POI I'd been in contact with there today to (politely) ask if she knew when we could expect to hear. 

1 hour ago, draco.malfoy said:

I just googled it and it looks like that is hosted by the dept of social work so yeah I think it's a completely separate admissions process but I may be mistaken

1 hour ago, LAG6 said:

I'm assuming so... As I have yet to hear back from Michigan and they seem to send out all decisions at once. 

I e-mailed my POI I'd been in contact with there today to (politely) ask if she knew when we could expect to hear. 

Be sure to keep us posted! :) I'm curious to hear, as well. 

I actually dreamt about checking my email last night for acceptances... Yikes. 

On the results page it looks like there have been two acceptances, many rejections, and two waitlist notifications from Stanford already. Has anyone contacted the department?

Anyone else still waiting to hear from Stanford? 

Edited by zipzipzip

Got accepted by Michigan State University yesterday. However, the admission letter says that "We are not able to offer you funding at this time but will update you as soon as we are able regarding this possibility". Does that mean I'm waitlisted for funding? Anyone here received a funding offer?

On February 9, 2017 at 5:04 PM, EvelynD said:

Don't worry about it! I keep looking for other people who applied at Michigan State, but they are hard to find. I have background in anthro but applied for their sociology program, but it has been radio silence ever since. Urg. Based on the results page they let people know around mid-March, but its so scary to hear nothing at all!

I applied! Have you heard back from them?

22 hours ago, zipzipzip said:

On the results page it looks like there have been two acceptances, many rejections, and two waitlist notifications from Stanford already. Has anyone contacted the department?

Anyone else still waiting to hear from Stanford? 

Sent you a message but posting here in case anyone else is in the same boat as us:

I emailed them on the 13th in the afternoon. No response yet.

1 hour ago, Schwein said:

I applied! Have you heard back from them?

Congrats! No I have not, but I have been checking my email like crazy ever since I saw your result. How did they contact you?

Edit: nothing in my online portal. I have only recieved rejections so far from my other schools and it has already been a couple days since your acceptance so my hopes are low!

Edited by EvelynD

On 2/13/2017 at 11:09 PM, aloof said:

Be sure to keep us posted! :) I'm curious to hear, as well. 

I actually dreamt about checking my email last night for acceptances... Yikes. 

My POI said she didn't know when the decisions would be released but she gave me a different person to contact, Professor Sara Burgard. Here's my dilemma, though: this would be my third e-mail this month asking UM about their decisions... Is it worth the risk of being thought of as a naggy applicant to attempt to get this information? No matter how much it killed me, I would wait it out in order to not damage my chances of getting into UM. Anybody have an opinion? 

7 minutes ago, LAG6 said:

My POI said she didn't know when the decisions would be released but she gave me a different person to contact, Professor Sara Burgard. Here's my dilemma, though: this would be my third e-mail this month asking UM about their decisions... Is it worth the risk of being thought of as a naggy applicant to attempt to get this information? No matter how much it killed me, I would wait it out in order to not damage my chances of getting into UM. Anybody have an opinion? 

I would definitely wait if you've already reached out even once. 

3 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

I would definitely wait if you've already reached out even once. 

Yikes, okay. Welp. I've reached out twice in about two weeks... So sorry y'all, can't get any more information than that. 

19 minutes ago, LAG6 said:

Yikes, okay. Welp. I've reached out twice in about two weeks... So sorry y'all, can't get any more information than that. 

Sorry, don't mean to be short. I'm sure you're fine, but your initial assumption not to contact them anymore is the safer option. Good luck :)

1 hour ago, sociologicals said:

Sorry, don't mean to be short. I'm sure you're fine, but your initial assumption not to contact them anymore is the safer option. Good luck :)

Oh, I didn't think you were being short! I appreciate your candor. Thanks!