Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

1 hour ago, mcpphu said:

Michigan took too many Soc PhD students last year, so I've heard they're only going to take a few students and that's why it's taking them longer to decide.

Gotcha. I called this morning. Michigan didn't really give me a sense for when they'd be releasing the decisions. At first the person on the phone said, the next few days, and then said, maybe next week. When I prodded a bit, she said she didn't know, and that the person who coordinates these things is out of the office today.

I also called Northwestern, and Ryan, the graduate coordinator, said that they will be releasing decisions this week and that the Visit Day is March 29 and 30. 

Congrats to all those who had good news over the weekend! :) Here's to seeing what news comes this week!  Good luck everyone!  (I am late on this post haha, I hid from reality for 4 days).   

4 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Has anybody contacted Princeton? I feel like they would have contacted all admits by now, but they are also really delayed at sending out denials and there was only once acceptance posted on the results page. 

Same thing with Harvard; anybody have any ideas? We've only had one confirmed acceptance there.

7 hours ago, demog said:

Are you considering contacting them or just waiting it out?

I emailed the graduate program assistant last week asking for an update, no response. She did say in that email she wouldn't respond to inquiries about decisions, but I figured it was worth a shot. Waiting is hard! 

The only thing keeping me from emailing or calling the Harvard department is that the website says decisions are usually released in the first two weeks of March. Frustrating since we saw the acceptance on 2/14 and the Sociology & Social Policy rejections on Friday 2/17.

I've been admitted to Cornell, waitlisted at Johns Hopkins and U Penn, and rejected by Berkeley. Harvard is the only program I haven't heard from. (Yes, I applied to only 5. Risky!)

5 minutes ago, Jessica80 said:

The only thing keeping me from emailing or calling the Harvard department is that the website says decisions are usually released in the first two weeks of March. Frustrating since we saw the acceptance on 2/14 and the Sociology & Social Policy rejections on Friday 2/17.

I've been admitted to Cornell, waitlisted at Johns Hopkins and U Penn, and rejected by Berkeley. Harvard is the only program I haven't heard from. (Yes, I applied to only 5. Risky!)

Are you the Hopkins waitlist on the results page? I haven't seen any other news about Hopkins other than that

6 minutes ago, soci said:

Are you the Hopkins waitlist on the results page? I haven't seen any other news about Hopkins other than that

I am wondering the same thing...if it's a super small cohort perhaps those that were accepted just aren't on this site? That's what I have concluded...

53 minutes ago, shaodiao said:

it might be the case that people admitted there really don't come here to discuss.

Historically there's always been at least three to four folks reporting acceptances on the results page, even if they might not drop by the forums. There's no reason to think why it'd be so different this year. If Harvard has a cohort of 8-10, then ~15 people will received acceptances. My sense is that the main waves of acceptances have not rolled out, but that might be in the optimist in my speaking.

I am. I live in Baltimore and have worked part-time with the department over the last year. Faculty were very encouraging about my prospects there, so I was pretty surprised to be waitlisted. One of my POIs replied to the Department Chair's email telling me that funding is especially tight this year and they won't know for a week or more if they'll be able to make more offers. Happy to answer any other Qs but that's about all I know.

30 minutes ago, Jessica80 said:

I called Harvard and they said that all acceptances have been sent.

20 hours ago, souplover said:

Still waiting for UCSD's funding information... By the way, I got admitted by both UAlbany and UCSD, any suggestion guys?

I think this dependes on your focus. UCSD is very reputed for its training on sociology of culture. To be honest, I dont know much about Albany to compare, but I think it all comes down to subfield.

1 minute ago, Socbr said:

I called Harvard and they said that all acceptances have been sent.

Thanks for doing that! I guess Harvard doesn't do a waitlist, per results from past years. I suppose our rejections are coming via postal service.

3 minutes ago, Branwynn1967 said:

I am over the MOON. I heard from VCU today and have been accepted to their MSW program. Such an amazing thing to hear!

Whew! 

Congrats! however, I think the Social Work forum might be able to give you the many more congrats which are in order, as this is for Sociology. 

48 minutes ago, Jessica80 said:

Do you know if UPenn will be sending out anymore acceptance or waitlist notifications?

It's fine if I got rejected because I've been accepted to other schools, but it would be nice to have some closure.

1 hour ago, Jessica80 said:

Thanks for doing that! I guess Harvard doesn't do a waitlist, per results from past years. I suppose our rejections are coming via postal service.

I actually know a student who got into Harvard last year off a waitlist last minute; he'd accepted an offer at another place and then switched over to Harvard after they notified him that they had space for him. This suggests that they do waitlist students; either they've also notified waitlisted students or will with rejections. Sigh. 

3 hours ago, csot said:

Do you know if UPenn will be sending out anymore acceptance or waitlist notifications?

It's fine if I got rejected because I've been accepted to other schools, but it would be nice to have some closure.

Hard to say. This is the first paragraph of the email: "I am writing to notify you of the status of your application to the Ph.D. program in Sociology at the University of Pennsylvania. We are very interested in admitting you to our program, but are currently awaiting authorization from our graduate office to extend additional funded offers as we wait for responses to come in on those extended to date. If we are authorized to make additional offers in the next several weeks, we may be able to offer you a spot in our 2017-18 entering cohort, along with a very generous five-year financial-support package that I think you would find competitive with those given by other top universities."

I was having the same problem posting my latest rejection from UCSD.

Stats are in my signature below. I am getting pretty nervous/anxious about the lack of an acceptance at this point, though I can't say I'm surprised; my GRE scores (particularly quant) are not what I would like them to be, and the combination of my research interests and what I envision writing for my dissertation might be a bit esoteric. I'm holding out hope that ND will accept me. I think they are a great fit for me personally and academically, I just hope I was able to effectively communicate why I would be a good fit for them during the visit last Friday. 

Those accepted to Washington, any idea if you plan to accept the offer? I've officially been waitlisted and this is my top/only/perfect choice so I am trying to get a read on my chances now.