Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

4 minutes ago, Beals said:

Got rejected from Northwestern as well- got an email to check the portal, and a stock decision letter was available. Blah. :(

Yeah, the stock decision letter sucked. Thanks Dwight, for your 2 sentences of "regret". I think even Berkeley's, curt though it was, was nicer.

9 minutes ago, nbc21 said:

Yeah, the stock decision letter sucked. Thanks Dwight, for your 2 sentences of "regret". I think even Berkeley's, curt though it was, was nicer.

yeah, like, full offence @ Dwight: I could use some placating over here!!!!

6 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Where will you go?

I've been admitted to Rutgers (2 years fellowship, 3 years TA) and UCSB (funded, details forthcoming), but I'm hoping that Indiana admits me off the waitlist with a comparable funding package. As it is, I am visiting both Rutgers and UCSB within the next two weeks. UCSB has some courting to do if they want to compel me to move to California, especially considering Rutgers is a fifty minute drive from my hometown. 

18 minutes ago, Beals said:

yeah, like, full offence @ Dwight: I could use some placating over here!!!!

Sad thing is, I actually know/have met Dwight in passing lol.

1 hour ago, ? ??♂️?? said:

Has anyone heard anything from Santa Cruz? I am also waiting on New Mexico. Has anyone have heard good or bad things about the PhD program at New Mexico? Thanks!

Funnily I am waiting on Santa Cruz as well and was accepted to New Mexico. Would love to hear pros and cons as well if anyone has heard!

7 minutes ago, nbc21 said:

Sad thing is, I actually know/have met Dwight in passing lol.

oh, yikes. i was perhaps 50% joking, but in all seriousness, that is pretty cold when you have a personal relationship.

I hope you got in somewhere else and go on to have a great graduate experience :)

Edited by Beals

18 minutes ago, limonchello said:

Funnily I am waiting on Santa Cruz as well and was accepted to New Mexico. Would love to hear pros and cons as well if anyone has heard!

Well Santa Cruz is ranked 59th and New Mexico is 78th so that's something to consider. However, I would really try to determine which program is a better fit based on your interests. Like personally I specialize in medical sociology so I'd probably go with New Mexico because from what little I know about the two departments, it seems like UNM has a stronger emphasis on health, medicine, and health policy and thus more resources (affiliated centers, faculty, etc.) available to pursue that area of research. Of course I'm also a little biased because I lived in Albuquerque for a summer and absolutely loved the city and the state of New Mexico in general so if they invite you to visit first, I definitely suggest going and exploring. 

Edited by ndrun

1 hour ago, nbc21 said:

Congratulations! I was rejected, which was a bit of a shock, bc I did my undergrad there, am a great fit, and my work is reflective of my training in the department. But just goes to show that you can't count on anything.

I can completely relate to this. It's hard not to take a rejection (or probable rejection at this point in my case) from an alma mater personally because it is actually personal. I can't help but imagine the faculty, many of whom know me, sitting around and deciding not to accept me despite the great GPA and research experience I received in that very department. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to though.

22 minutes ago, ndrun said:

I can completely relate to this. It's hard not to take a rejection (or probable rejection at this point in my case) from an alma mater personally because it is actually personal. I can't help but imagine the faculty, many of whom know me, sitting around and deciding not to accept me despite the great GPA and research experience I received in that very department. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to though.

I'm not sure what either of your departments were like, but I had an adviser who essentially told me not to expect acceptance from them- that they didn't like taking students who did their undergrad with them. I haven't gotten my rejection letter yet, but I won't be offended. It isn't a perfect fit anyway, maybe then I would have been more disappointed.

2 hours ago, nbc21 said:

Thanks, and congrats again! It's a fantastic department. My online portal hasn't been updated... Anybody else get any news from NU?

i was rejected from Northwestern. I got an email that told me to check the portal. I don't care one bit, as Yale is the better fit. Congrats to all admits!

I rejected from Amherst, which is kind of a huge surprise to me. Granted I have the hindrance of my 3.44 GPA, but I've been accepted to two programs already, and one of them is ranked higher, but I'm a bit surprised by this. My main interests are labor, social movements, and inequality. I have a big background in activism (and I've heard how activist oriented they are), so this is pretty weird. Like what??

Congrats to all acceptances!

Also, everyone who's been rejected do not worry about it! You're gonna do great wherever you go :)

20 hours ago, Socbr said:

I called Harvard and they said that all acceptances have been sent.

All acceptances for the JDP program, right?  I don't think anything has gone out for the Sociology PhD program yet.

It is impossible to keep from checking my e-mail 10,000 times/day.  Waiting for 3 schools, including Harvard--I only applied to a handful of programs and am basically on edge.

9 minutes ago, Sasha Genius said:

All acceptances for the JDP program, right?  I don't think anything has gone out for the Sociology PhD program yet.

It is impossible to keep from checking my e-mail 10,000 times/day.  Waiting for 3 schools, including Harvard--I only applied to a handful of programs and am basically on edge.

Good luck!  I understand the email checking aspect.... I've found myself glued to my email for the last month!

8 minutes ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Good luck!  I understand the email checking aspect.... I've found myself glued to my email for the last month!

Hmm. The Harvard acceptance posted on 2/14 (states via phone call) in Results didn't specify that it was for the Joint program, so I'm pretty sure it was for the Sociology PhD program.

10 minutes ago, Jessica80 said:

Hmm. The Harvard acceptance posted on 2/14 (states via phone call) in Results didn't specify that it was for the Joint program, so I'm pretty sure it was for the Sociology PhD program.

Ugh, I have convinced myself that the early Harvard poster is either a troll or meant to report an acceptance to the JDP and entered "Sociology" by mistake.  I am also hoping that the early Princeton poster falls under the "troll or mistake" category . . . . hope springs eternal.

16 hours ago, Schwein said:

Anybody claim the acceptance from Temple? Where on the portal did you find a decision has been made? My application status still says complete and ready for review

Hey Ya'll,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I can claim the Temple acceptance. When I checked my application portal, it read "Decision status: Decision made" and under Decision it read: "University Acceptance". A few days later I received an official letter in the mail from the Graduate school, but no word on advising or funding. It's my first acceptance, but it was also a strong fit. Still waiting to hear from: Princeton, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Hopkins, UConn & Emory so if anyone has any inside details, please let me know. #waitinglife   

1 minute ago, DrDay said:

Hey Ya'll,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I can claim the Temple acceptance. When I checked my application portal, it read "Decision status: Decision made" and under Decision it read: "University Acceptance". A few days later I received an official letter in the mail from the Graduate school, but no word on advising or funding. It's my first acceptance, but it was also a strong fit. Still waiting to hear from: Princeton, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Hopkins, UConn & Emory so if anyone has any inside details, please let me know. #waitinglife   

UCONN already sent out their 8 acceptances weeks ago. No word on waitlists.