Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

@Worktime Calzone , 

I emailed Julie Bettie (Graduate Chair) of UCSC for a status update and received a rejection email within the hour from the Department of Graduate Studies. I doubt they went out as a batch, but check your email or maybe contact her? 

All the best luck!

19 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Congrats! May I ask who the email was from? Potential advisor, DGS, or did it seem automated? Can you also let us know visit weekend? 

Thank you so much everyone! Officially crying on the floor of my room in my fuzzy robe. Can't believe it. The e-mail was from the Grad Director Robert Wuthnow--who I also want as my potential adviser. If I'm looking at the right place on my portal, it still just says "submitted."

8 minutes ago, limonchello said:

@Worktime Calzone , 

I emailed Julie Bettie (Graduate Chair) of UCSC for a status update and received a rejection email within the hour from the Department of Graduate Studies. I doubt they went out as a batch, but check your email or maybe contact her? 

All the best luck!

:(

5 hours ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

I have heard from many professors that it's harder to be accepted into your alma matter.  I even heard one professor describe it as nepotism. :wacko:

That's actually kind of funny because I've yet to get accepted anywhere for sociology BUT my alma matter ? Although in response to someone saying that it feels personal, I would say that it really just depends on who is on the admissions committee that year. It may or may not be someone who knows you or your work at all. 

25 minutes ago, PostmodernPendulum said:

That's actually kind of funny because I've yet to get accepted anywhere for sociology BUT my alma matter ? Although in response to someone saying that it feels personal, I would say that it really just depends on who is on the admissions committee that year. It may or may not be someone who knows you or your work at all. 

Yeah, I second that. Last year's admissions committee was all people I knew/took classes with/wanted to work with; this year's was a different specialty entirely, even though my work is still within the purview of the department as a whole. Still stings, but I've got other places thankfully.

3 hours ago, montanem said:

Hey did anyone end up hearing from WSU?  @limonchello it looks like you are waitlisted?  How were you notified?  Thanks :)

I was impatient so I emailed Jennifer Sherman and she graciously let me know! 

She said "The admissions committee has made the first round of offers, and are waiting for responses from this group currently." And that I am 'high' on the list. I can send you the emails if you'd like! 

Edited by limonchello

11 hours ago, Spirits of Lavender said:

I've been admitted to Rutgers (2 years fellowship, 3 years TA) and UCSB (funded, details forthcoming), but I'm hoping that Indiana admits me off the waitlist with a comparable funding package. As it is, I am visiting both Rutgers and UCSB within the next two weeks. UCSB has some courting to do if they want to compel me to move to California, especially considering Rutgers is a fifty minute drive from my hometown. 

I'm surprised to hear that you are hesitant about UCSB. I thought you studied gender? But I feel you on the CA front, I don't want to live there, but Santa Barbara is exceptionally beautiful!

Well folks, now that University of Michigan Ann Arbor sent out rejections, I'm out this year and will reapply again next year! It was a good run, and I'm just glad it's over and I've already learned from it. Unless University of South Carolina takes me off of their waitlist...?! I'll still lurk on this forum but won't be refreshing the damn results page anymore, PHEW.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the soc program in South Carolina? Any other waitlisters, or acceptances who are on the fence? I'm afraid that they'll accept me last minute and I'll feel rushed into it and will make a poor choice (to go or not to go out of fear of moving across the country to the most opposite climate of where I live). Also, I'm not into social psych, but inequalities, so in retrospect I feel kind of silly attending their program for the thing they are not renowned for. Would love to hear any opinions on UofSC :) My POI there is fairly new, but her research fits SO WELL with mine! Arguably more so than any of the top programs I applied to. 

10 hours ago, DrDay said:

Hey Ya'll,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I can claim the Temple acceptance. When I checked my application portal, it read "Decision status: Decision made" and under Decision it read: "University Acceptance". A few days later I received an official letter in the mail from the Graduate school, but no word on advising or funding. It's my first acceptance, but it was also a strong fit. Still waiting to hear from: Princeton, UPenn, Columbia, NYU, Hopkins, UConn & Emory so if anyone has any inside details, please let me know. #waitinglife   

Congrats! I am also waiting to hear from UPenn, but since there are already acceptances and waitlists posted on the result board, I think it would probably be a rejection. Besides, I was rejected by Columbia for my phd application and offered ma admission.

Hello folks! First post in the thread!

I can claim acceptance to: UNC-Chapel Hill, UC Irvine and CUNY Graduate Centre. (all funded)

Rejected: Berkeley + UCLA

Killing myself over: Princeton, Chicago, Columbia

Waiting: Cornell, The New School-NSSR

Had an interview with the prof I want to work with for Chicago, end January. Not heard anything after and I am about to have a nervous breakdown (after all the acceptances I see in the result)

3 minutes ago, sociologicalpizza said:

I was just wondering who it was you wanted to work with there. Sorry to hear, btw. I haven't heard anything from them yet, but based on you saying this year's cohort is so small, I'm not expecting to be accepted.

When I was interviewed, I was told only people who were interviewed were being considered at that point....not sure if you had one also?

Prof. Fallon was who I wanted.

1 minute ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

When I was interviewed, I was told only people who were interviewed were being considered at that point....not sure if you had one also?

Prof. Fallon was who I wanted.

Nope! I did my undergrad there though, so I really wasn't expecting to be accepted at all. I wish they would send out my rejection letter then, though. 

She's great, I'm sure it was a really tough decision for them to make.

1 hour ago, Highland Cow said:

Hello folks! First post in the thread!

I can claim acceptance to: UNC-Chapel Hill, UC Irvine and CUNY Graduate Centre. (all funded)

Rejected: Berkeley + UCLA

Killing myself over: Princeton, Chicago, Columbia

Waiting: Cornell, The New School-NSSR

Had an interview with the prof I want to work with for Chicago, end January. Not heard anything after and I am about to have a nervous breakdown (after all the acceptances I see in the result)

Welcome! I am also dying. I thought I would receive all decisions by now but am still waiting on about half. I assume they are mostly (if not all) pending denials, but we'll see!

On 19/01/2017 at 6:24 AM, theorynetworkculture said:

Done with my Chicago interview: it was an unmitigated disaster.

Still, my interviewer told me to expect results in about three weeks. So sit tight, everyone who applied to Chicago.

Did you get into Chicago? Because I had an interview with POI, which I replay in my head and it looks like a disaster. Not heard anything from them after the end-January interview.