Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

Is there anyone who waitlisted by UConn except me? They reached me like 3 weeks ago for telling me that I'm waitlisted, and I never heard from them since then. I don't know how to interpret this silence :/

3 hours ago, sam bay said:

Is there anyone who waitlisted by UConn except me? They reached me like 3 weeks ago for telling me that I'm waitlisted, and I never heard from them since then. I don't know how to interpret this silence :/

I can't speak for UConn specifically but I think this is the unfortunate nature of being on the waitlist. They actually do not have news until it moves one direction or another, so silence just means yeah, still waiting to hear from accepted students.

That said, I think waitlists will will start moving after this next weekend. Most recruitments will be done (I think?) so people will probably start at least notifying their last choice schools.

11 hours ago, demog said:

I can't speak for UConn specifically but I think this is the unfortunate nature of being on the waitlist. They actually do not have news until it moves one direction or another, so silence just means yeah, still waiting to hear from accepted students.

That said, I think waitlists will will start moving after this next weekend. Most recruitments will be done (I think?) so people will probably start at least notifying their last choice schools.

Thanks! I guess there is nothing I can do except hope for the best at this point. :/

16 hours ago, sam bay said:

IDK, but I was accepted there, and will likely be declining in about 2 weeks, once I finish my other visits. 

3 hours ago, sam bay said:

Thanks! I guess there is nothing I can do except hope for the best at this point. :/

I'm with you. My dream school (where I am waitlisted) had an early recruitment so I was hopeful I might hear something soon but I think everyone waits until they do all visits. Does anyone know when the latest visiting day is? 

Excuse me while I continue to obsessively reload the results page.

Edited by demog

On 3/14/2017 at 1:56 AM, demog said:

I'm with you. My dream school (where I am waitlisted) had an early recruitment so I was hopeful I might hear something soon but I think everyone waits until they do all visits. Does anyone know when the latest visiting day is? 

Excuse me while I continue to obsessively reload the results page.

I know that University of Utah is the 24th or something, and they had a late application deadline (Feb 1). I can't imagine many schools have dates after this week, though. 

On 3/17/2017 at 9:41 PM, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

So I never heard from Brandeis at all...

Did you call/e-mail?  If you haven't i would reach out at this point- it is super late to have not heard anything. 

Does anyone have any advice about contacting departments for further information about wait-lists? 

I was waitlisted at a number of schools in late February/March 1. Most gave me an approximate idea about my standing but one school (my undergrad institute) was very vague about my chances. One professor there wrote me a LOR (he offered after I took one of his classes 2 years ago) and we spoke about my applications a bit at the start of the admissions cycle last fall but haven't since. I've been wanting to reach out to him inquiring about my position/chances but I'm afraid it may come off as uncouth or impatient. I'm stuck between thinking that I know him well enough to have a frank conversation with him and thinking that I knew him years ago and this might be awkward because he's not the DGS. At this point, I'm desperate for information and part of me hopes that alerting him to my position may help should a spot open up (although I have no clue if it would or if he already knows I've been waitlisted). Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, ndrun said:

Does anyone have any advice about contacting departments for further information about wait-lists? 

I was waitlisted at a number of schools in late February/March 1. Most gave me an approximate idea about my standing but one school (my undergrad institute) was very vague about my chances. One professor there wrote me a LOR (he offered after I took one of his classes 2 years ago) and we spoke about my applications a bit at the start of the admissions cycle last fall but haven't since. I've been wanting to reach out to him inquiring about my position/chances but I'm afraid it may come off as uncouth or impatient. I'm stuck between thinking that I know him well enough to have a frank conversation with him and thinking that I knew him years ago and this might be awkward because he's not the DGS. At this point, I'm desperate for information and part of me hopes that alerting him to my position may help should a spot open up (although I have no clue if it would or if he already knows I've been waitlisted). Any thoughts?

I contacted a department about my position. They kindly gave me my position and my likelihood based on previous years' patterns. I would advise against contacting anyone but the person who has been in communication throughout the process (whoever you received notification about waitlist status from originally).  

41 minutes ago, demog said:

I contacted a department about my position. They kindly gave me my position and my likelihood based on previous years' patterns. I would advise against contacting anyone but the person who has been in communication throughout the process (whoever you received notification about waitlist status from originally).  

I am definitely under the impression that schools tend to offer you a place as soon as they have a space for you (they get to your name of the list because of rejections, etc). They are obviously motivated to offer places to all those that they can and if you're next they'll let you know. It's not uncommon for people to hear a week or even days before the April 15th deadline that they're offered a place, it is just how the process works. 

If you've been waitlisted, it depends on the institution how likely it is you'll get in off the list and how many students that year decline their offers. I can almost promise you that if you contact anyone, the answer will be that they still don't have a place and will contact you if they do. I'm waiting for 3 waitlists now, and there hasn't been a peep since I was informed. 

*cheers* here's to the waitlist life!

I'm in at WSU!  Totally freaking out/just cried when I saw the e-mail.  I can already feel the stress leaving my body.  I can't believe it!

Thank you all so much for all the support through this.  It was wonderful to find this community of people to talk to/bounce ideas off of while playing the waiting game.  

Best of luck to everyone- in or still waiting or getting ready to apply again next year- it'll all work out the way it is suposed to. :)

1 hour ago, loves2hike said:

I'm in at WSU!  Totally freaking out/just cried when I saw the e-mail.  I can already feel the stress leaving my body.  I can't believe it!

Thank you all so much for all the support through this.  It was wonderful to find this community of people to talk to/bounce ideas off of while playing the waiting game.  

Best of luck to everyone- in or still waiting or getting ready to apply again next year- it'll all work out the way it is suposed to. :)

So happy for you! Congrats!

5 hours ago, sociologicalpizza said:

Did you guys prepare for your visit days at all? I'm nervous af

I did and honestly, it wasn't so necessary. I was nervous and read my POIs' articles even though I knew that their research interests wouldn't come up. During my meetings, I had forgot all about doing this because it was so irrelevant to what the purpose of the visits are about. I would prep in the sense that you should know what questions you want to ask. But even then, if you forget to ask something you can always follow-up in email. You can also schedule calls with students who you don't have a chance to talk with. Good luck!

Hello!

Random question. When are you guys planning on sending declining letters to the programs you won't be attending? And if you don't mind sharing - what programs are they?

Any of your guys declining Arizona or Utah?

Thank you! Have a good day 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All! 

If anyone got an acceptance from Boston University and is planning on not attending, could you please inform them of your decision asap (preferably before April 15)? I'm #1 on the waitlist, and am dying to go. It would mean the world to me!

Thank you!!