Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

19 minutes ago, sociological said:

Do you know if that wraps it up for their interview invites? 

I have no idea. I would imagine it does. The visit is in less then a month and they just sent out details about travel stipends today. 

The email I received said that "the vast majority" of students who are invited make it into the program either during their first round picks or from the waitlist, which makes me think a.) not everyone invited will get in and b.) they probably have invited everyone they intend to. That being said, I have no idea how they send out their invitations, so maybe they aren't finished yet. 

3 hours ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I still have heard nothing from North Carolina State, U of Washington, CU Boulder, UC San Diego, Yale, or Harvard. 

Has anyone else heard anything? I am slightly worried that they will all be rejections as I haven't been contacted for an interview from any of them. Maybe this is a stupid question, but don't most PhD programs interview students they are serious about? 

I can only speak for one of those schools, but I have a friend who received an acceptance from NCSU two weeks ago. I still haven't heard from them, but ETS had a problem sending my full GRE score to them so they just got all my paperwork in last Friday (!!!!). The good-ish news is that they didn't do an interview. My friend just woke up one day and had an acceptance email waiting.

I got an email from a professor at UNC yesterday saying that I'd been accepted/he'd like to phone chat/I'd be getting offer details in the next week. Also accepted UT Austin and UWashington. 

Edited by andfee

On 1/23/2017 at 7:52 PM, LAG6 said:

I applied to Michigan - nothing yet. From checking previous years on the result page, I estimate we won't know for at least another week. 

I was told, not until the end of Feb. 

15 minutes ago, andfee said:

I got an email from a professor at UNC yesterday saying that I'd been accepted/he'd like to phone chat/I'd be getting offer details in the next week. Also accepted UT Austin and UW. 

That is AWESOME, congrats!! By UW do you mean Wisconsin, Washington, etc...?

1 hour ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

@syf08678 Some schools will accept you via graduate admissions, and contact you later with funding details directly from the department.  I know of one school I applied to that does that, so perhaps call and ask if that is how they do it as well.

Thanks! You are right, it turns out to be an offer with full tuition waiver plus around $1300/month (i.e. 16300/year) for five years (50% RA). By any chance, do you know if it is possible to live a decent life with $1300/month at UIUC?

Edited by syf08678

Any Clinical Psych PhD applicants hear from:  University of Colorado Denver, University of AZ, University of Miami, Vanderbuilt, Duke?  Anyone interviewing at the University of Florida?

27 minutes ago, syf08678 said:

Thanks! You are right, it turns out to be an offer with full tuition waiver plus around $1300/month (i.e. 16300/year) for five years (50% RA). By any chance, do you know if it is possible to live a decent life with $1300/month at UIUC?

Congrats! I'm guessing you'll be able to afford university housing and have somewhat of a tight budget after housing fees. I believe that area has a relatively low cost of living, so it should be doable.

27 minutes ago, Bach said:

Any Clinical Psych PhD applicants hear from:  University of Colorado Denver, University of AZ, University of Miami, Vanderbuilt, Duke?  Anyone interviewing at the University of Florida?

Hey!  I think you posted this one in the wrong place :) This is the sociology area but under the social sciences tab there's psychology and they'll be able to help out.   I did the same thing when I first joined the forum.

Edited by montanem

6 hours ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I still have heard nothing from North Carolina State, U of Washington, CU Boulder, UC San Diego, Yale, or Harvard. 

Has anyone else heard anything? I am slightly worried that they will all be rejections as I haven't been contacted for an interview from any of them. Maybe this is a stupid question, but don't most PhD programs interview students they are serious about? 

I haven't heard anything from NCSU, Washington, or Harvard yet so we are in the same boat. And I don't think all programs interview; generally I think programs only tend to do that when they have to. 

2 hours ago, syf08678 said:

You should be fine - UIUC is in an extremely inexpensive part of the country, and Champaign is no exception.

7 hours ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I suggest to expect slow rollouts from NCSU. My acceptance letter from DGS was personal referring to my thesis and personal statement. 

6 hours ago, syf08678 said:

Just heard from UIUC that I am accepted. However, the email says nothing about funding. I assume that it is an offer with no funding, as I am aware I am an international applicant who fails to meet their TOEFL requirement (they demand at least 24 for the TOEFL spoken module but I scored 22 only). Sad. Will definitely not go to US without full funding.

Congratulations!

I am international applicant, too, and anxious about everything.

I wonder if there are other international applicants here?

3 hours ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I have some inside info (current MA student at Brandeis). If you are waiting to hear back from Brandeis, be patient; it will be a while. Also, don't call. While calling will not affect their decision, it won't really help you out. 

Do you work with Gordie Fellman at all?

3 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

Do you work with Gordie Fellman at all?

Unfortunately, I haven't. I am in the joint MA program with WGS and took research methods and theory at MIT. He may be my second reader for my thesis though. I have friends who have taken his courses or are currently TAing for him. If I had another life, I would work with him from the very beginning. 

3 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

Unfortunately, I haven't. I am in the joint MA program with WGS and took research methods and theory at MIT. He may be my second reader for my thesis though. I have friends who have taken his courses or are currently TAing for him. If I had another life, I would work with him from the very beginning. 

He was my mentor's dissertation advisor, and I had the privilege of sitting down with him for a chat in the summer of 2015 when I was visiting Boston. What a great guy :)

11 minutes ago, jojokitty47 said:

I also go to Brandeis, and have worked with Gordie Fellman a lot/he is my advisor!

Awesome, I have a personal connection with him through my mentor. I have great respect for him - you're so lucky to work with him! :)

6 hours ago, SocHelp said:

I was told, not until the end of Feb. 

Who said that? Not to discredit you or anything. That just means more weeks of anxiety, and I'm definitely not looking forward to that. 

12 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

I GOT IN! I can claim a UNC-Chapel Hill admission!

I had so much self doubt up until now. Just earlier today, I was trying to prepare myself for a denial. 

If you're still waiting to hear, I wouldn't give up hope yet. It seems that profs are sending personal emails, and it just depends on when they get around to contacting you. 

Yay! Congrats!!