Fall 2017 Education Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections

hopefulPhD2017

Though no one has yet to talk about this program much, I was recently offered an interview with the PhD in Higher Education program at ODU. Good luck to everyone else hearing back! They informed me that decisions will be made at the end of February once all interviews are complete. This program's deadline was February 1st, so much later in the game than other schools!

1 hour ago, tgcaccount said:

Any updates around UCLA? I may have read or mixed up PhD programs, but I thought UCLA stated that they will be sending out interviews mid-February?

I applied to a PhD in Urban Schooling. Haven't heard from the school yet... but after the rejections from HGSE and SGSE, I'm starting to feel hopeless to all my applications..

28 minutes ago, selenaleee said:

I applied to a PhD in Urban Schooling. Haven't heard from the school yet... but after the rejections from HGSE and SGSE, I'm starting to feel hopeless to all my applications..

Literally in the exact same situation as you (and applied to Urban Schooling also). Have rejections from HGSE, SGSE, and a waitlist for USC.

Hi! I've been lurking forever but keeping up with the day to day on the forums...but I can't stay on the sidelines anymore. 

I was just admitted to UT Austin for their PhD in Education Policy and Planning. I haven't heard anything from UPenn, Vandy, and Harvard, which I assume means no. (All those applications are still in the submitted stage, which is weird, but whatever). My last school I am waiting on is University of California, Irvine, and it's still "under review'...

Looks like I'm a new Longhorn!

7 hours ago, cjaneob said:

Though no one has yet to talk about this program much, I was recently offered an interview with the PhD in Higher Education program at ODU. Good luck to everyone else hearing back! They informed me that decisions will be made at the end of February once all interviews are complete. This program's deadline was February 1st, so much later in the game than other schools!

Congratulations and good luck. A very impressive turnaround time for them too - which can only bode well for you.

18 hours ago, forgetful26 said:

if you spent less than a year, the college transcript should be enough. if you spend a year or more abroad, then you may need a WES evaluation. I had the same situation and emailed admissions office. They generally reply really fast, in my experience. 

18 hours ago, rockrmoose said:

So, kind of freaking out here. I applied to Penn GSE's M.S. Higher Ed program and I just got an email saying my application was incomplete. I went on the app site to check the checklist, and it said I was missing a transcript. It was for a study abroad program, but to my understanding if your study abroad credits show up on your undergrad insititution's transcript, you wouldn't need one from the university you studied abroad at? I know this is partially my fault  for not looking at the checklist earlier... Does this mean they wouldn't look at my application at all until I send in that transcript? I emailed the admissions office but they haven't gotten back to me yet...

I had this issue too. I only studied abroad for a semester at the University of Edinburgh. The courses showed up as credits on my undergrad transcript (though it didn't show my grades) so I also submitted an unofficial transcript from Edinburgh, which listed the courses I'd taken and my grades. The last page of the transcript also had a chart with the suggested US equivalent of the grades (e.g. 70-100 is an A). Penn told me I still had to submit an evaluated transcript for the classes, so that was $200+ I had to spend.

I would call, not email. I applied in mid December, emailed them right away when I saw that my application was incomplete and they didn't respond until I sent another email in early January. Though this was right before and after the holidays so maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

Also, just venting now, but none of the other schools I applied to asked me to send in a course-by-course evaluation for the semester I spent abroad. At the time, I seriously considered just scrapping my application to Penn since I'd be paying $200 just to have my application be considered for admission.

3 hours ago, Michelleyk said:

Hi! I've been lurking forever but keeping up with the day to day on the forums...but I can't stay on the sidelines anymore. 

I was just admitted to UT Austin for their PhD in Education Policy and Planning. I haven't heard anything from UPenn, Vandy, and Harvard, which I assume means no. (All those applications are still in the submitted stage, which is weird, but whatever). My last school I am waiting on is University of California, Irvine, and it's still "under review'...

Looks like I'm a new Longhorn!

Congratulations on your UT Austin offer! I thought Harvard has released their offers and rejections already? Many of us have heard back from HGSE.

2 hours ago, selenaleee said:

Congratulations on your UT Austin offer! I thought Harvard has released their offers and rejections already? Many of us have heard back from HGSE.

Thanks. And yeah, me too on the Harvard front. But my application is just floating in "submitted" I'm sure it's a rejection, but I never got a letter/email. 

5 hours ago, midmarsh said:

I had this issue too. I only studied abroad for a semester at the University of Edinburgh. The courses showed up as credits on my undergrad transcript (though it didn't show my grades) so I also submitted an unofficial transcript from Edinburgh, which listed the courses I'd taken and my grades. The last page of the transcript also had a chart with the suggested US equivalent of the grades (e.g. 70-100 is an A). Penn told me I still had to submit an evaluated transcript for the classes, so that was $200+ I had to spend.

I would call, not email. I applied in mid December, emailed them right away when I saw that my application was incomplete and they didn't respond until I sent another email in early January. Though this was right before and after the holidays so maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

Also, just venting now, but none of the other schools I applied to asked me to send in a course-by-course evaluation for the semester I spent abroad. At the time, I seriously considered just scrapping my application to Penn since I'd be paying $200 just to have my application be considered for admission.

Wow, which program did you apply to at Penn? Okay, I just called them. They responded right away and I should have just called the other day instead of emailed. Luckily they said the late study abroad transcript wouldn't affect my application because I still submitted it before the deadline, but they still "needed" the transcript. So frustrating. Yeah, none of the other schools I applied to asked for this either. I thought about just scrapping my application but I already put so much effort into the application and so did my letter of rec writers, so I decided to send it. Luckily mine was only $25. On the phone they said there was no rush so I didn't have to pay for overnight shipping....but when they put it like that, it seems like it's not even necessary! Ugh. Why make me spend extra money -_-

I think that if you do it through WES, they send an electronic version as well. Maybe that can explain why you do not need to rush. If you are doing it through WES, I would confirm with them. But I am quite sure they do, if I can recall my situation... Hope it all gets sorted out!

@rockrmoose It's for IEDP. I think I'd regret not paying for the evaluated transcript and losing the chance for a spot at Penn so that's why I went through with it. But yeah... Getting rejected from Penn is probably going to sting a lot more than a rejection from the other schools I applied to just because of the $200+ course by course evaluation. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen to me, or to you!

Hello all,

I have been accepted into OISE and UBC Ph.D. programs and currently weighing my options. UBC needs to hear back from me by March 3rd and is offering a one-time entrance scholarship of $11000, whereas OISE is fully funded through 4 years. I was wondering if there was anyone who may have an idea about how flexible your time is after your course work is completed?

On 2/17/2017 at 6:03 PM, midmarsh said:

Going through the exact same, annoying, frustrating stuff with UPenn and TC, Columbia both. Did the whole process with ECE, spent over 240 USD and still my transcripts haven't reached both institutions. This is very frustrating considering my original docs and a copy of my report has reached me back in home country and yet it hasn't reached both these schools within US. And aren't these sent online? I can't seem to figure out what the hold up is? And the responses from admissions teams in both schools is tardy, to put it mildly. Will my application even be considered now? It's Feb 20th already....in about 2 weeks, decisions should start to roll in from all schools. I have an admit from Vanderbilt for a Masters program and that's keeping me from totally losing my head.

At this point, I have a strong urge to just let it go and not check both websites at all. But considering the effort I have put into this, I can't even seem to let go. :(

On 2/18/2017 at 10:56 PM, midmarsh said:

@rockrmoose It's for IEDP. I think I'd regret not paying for the evaluated transcript and losing the chance for a spot at Penn so that's why I went through with it. But yeah... Getting rejected from Penn is probably going to sting a lot more than a rejection from the other schools I applied to just because of the $200+ course by course evaluation. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen to me, or to you!

Praying with you on this one! for all of us!

On 2017년 2월 19일 at 11:52 AM, TEllis said:

Hello all,

I have been accepted into OISE and UBC Ph.D. programs and currently weighing my options. UBC needs to hear back from me by March 3rd and is offering a one-time entrance scholarship of $11000, whereas OISE is fully funded through 4 years. I was wondering if there was anyone who may have an idea about how flexible your time is after your course work is completed?

Congrats!!

I'm curious about what division you applied for. Waiting for OISE adult education decisions..

If you applied to UCI, they released their rejections today. I did not receive an email or notification, I just checked the website. 

I got rejected from the PhD programs at UCSD and UCI, but got accepted to the MA at UCLA. I will be attending UCLA in the Fall! :)

1 hour ago, girgis99 said:

If you applied to UCI, they released their rejections today. I did not receive an email or notification, I just checked the website. 

I got rejected from the PhD programs at UCSD and UCI, but got accepted to the MA at UCLA. I will be attending UCLA in the Fall! :)

Congrats!

On 2/20/2017 at 9:26 PM, ChaiL said:

Going through the exact same, annoying, frustrating stuff with UPenn and TC, Columbia both. Did the whole process with ECE, spent over 240 USD and still my transcripts haven't reached both institutions. This is very frustrating considering my original docs and a copy of my report has reached me back in home country and yet it hasn't reached both these schools within US. And aren't these sent online? I can't seem to figure out what the hold up is? And the responses from admissions teams in both schools is tardy, to put it mildly. Will my application even be considered now? It's Feb 20th already....in about 2 weeks, decisions should start to roll in from all schools. I have an admit from Vanderbilt for a Masters program and that's keeping me from totally losing my head.

At this point, I have a strong urge to just let it go and not check both websites at all. But considering the effort I have put into this, I can't even seem to let go. :(

Oh wow, I applied to TC too but I double checked (just now actually... Your comment made me nervous!) but they accepted my Edinburgh transcript. Like I said, on one page of the transcript, they include rubrics for what the grades mean in the UK (honors, second class honors, passing, etc.) and an estimated equivalent in the US. That's extremely frustrating though. Have you called the admissions offices? Maybe they're just slow on updating the website.

Question: Is it a bad sign if you get paired up with a mentor you did not mention in your SOP? Like did the professors I mentioned not want me? lol

Also, once I submit my intent to register, should I reach out to my assigned advisor and introduce myself?

I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting to hear back from the University of Alberta (Educational Psychology) since their deadline isn't until March 31. I have acceptances from McGill and Carleton, but I want all my options in front of me before I make a final decision, but I don't know what to do with myself until then.