Fall 2017 Education Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections

hopefulPhD2017

1 hour ago, girgis99 said:

Question: Is it a bad sign if you get paired up with a mentor you did not mention in your SOP? Like did the professors I mentioned not want me? lol

Also, once I submit my intent to register, should I reach out to my assigned advisor and introduce myself?

In my department, it doesn't seem to be a bad sign. Sometimes professors are thinking of retiring soon, and don't want to take on new students; others may be going on sabbatical, or may simply not have the grants/funds to accept a new student. Of course it could also simply be due to how they perceive you'll fit based on your SOP. 

Edited by Levon3

1 hour ago, Levon3 said:

In my department, it doesn't seem to be a bad sign. Sometimes professors are thinking of retiring soon, and don't want to take on new students; others may be going on sabbatical, or may simply not have the grants/funds to accept a new student. Of course it could also simply be due to how they perceive you'll fit based on your SOP. 

Thanks! I got paired up with an assistant professor, but mentioned two tenure professors in my SOP. So, I'm hoping the reason for this is because the professors I mentioned have too many students. Granted, the masters program I got into is only a one year program, so perhaps they pair assistant professor with masters students and professors with PhD student. Hm... 

On 2/22/2017 at 11:12 AM, midmarsh said:

Oh wow, I applied to TC too but I double checked (just now actually... Your comment made me nervous!) but they accepted my Edinburgh transcript. Like I said, on one page of the transcript, they include rubrics for what the grades mean in the UK (honors, second class honors, passing, etc.) and an estimated equivalent in the US. That's extremely frustrating though. Have you called the admissions offices? Maybe they're just slow on updating the website.

I did. Been in constant touch with the admissions team. They've been very slow on responding. ECE has assured me that the transcripts have been mailed on 13th Feb, TC hasn't downloaded it yet. I guess nothing left to do but wait.

I must compliment Harvard on the amazing promptness with which they handle the whole admission process.

Admitted into UPenn! MS. Ed in Higher Ed. Kind of wish I applied to other ivies too. Well this was a nice ego boost, but I don't think I'll attend due to the high cost (they gave me a very small scholarship). Happy because I'm done with the application season now! 

Edited by rockrmoose

11 minutes ago, easteregg said:

Got my second admissions decision today, admitted to Penn GSE! Received a merit scholarship. Very very surprised.

@rockrmoosecongrats, I'm in a similar boat but it's still exciting!

Yes, it's definitely still exciting! Congrats to you too :)

I got into Simon Fraser (and heard back from New Mexico State today but not accepting)! It's been a few days, so the excitement has worn off somewhat. I wanted to share my news and was just on some of the Reddit subs, which is always a mistake. I hope to share the journey with positive, like-minded people here.

On 2/2/2017 at 2:53 PM, Educ said:

Hello Donnalyy are you applying to Masters or PhD programs? Congratulations on your interviews!!

Hi Educ, thank you! These are both Masters programs. I am thinking about pursuing an EdD after, but will see where life takes me throughout my 2 years in the Masters program. Will you be attending UCLA? I went there for undergrad and stay connected to the school in a number of ways. Would have loved to go there for grad school :) 

20 hours ago, pleemo said:

Congratulations @rockrmoose and @easteregg! I also found out yesterday I was admitted to UPenn for the M.S.Ed. in Higher Education and offered a merit scholarship. I'm still in shock! It's my dream program. 

Congratulations! That's great you got into your dream program, I'm so happy for you :)

Hey guys!

I wish I found this place sooner. I've been going crazy by myself for the past three months! Could have used your company while waiting anxiously.

Luckily, I have been accepted to both Ohio State and UT Austin. Still waiting for results from IU Bloomington (they haven't made a peep!). The programs I have applied to were all Learning Technologies. Anyone thinking about enrolling these schools? I'm kinda nervous about funding issues :huh:

Best of luck and very very good thoughts to everyone still waiting to hear from their dream schools :) 

Edited by sofi

Congratulations to everyone who has been getting interviews and for those getting accepted!

I continually check this site to see if there are any updates with ODU's Higher Ed program (since that's the only one I applied to and had an interview last week). I'm trying very hard to not let my anxiety get the best of me, but again, like the person above me--I thank you all for your gracious company!

Accepted into ODU's PhD in Higher Ed program!

Here are my stats for those of you that are very curious: 

Undergrad Cumulative GPA: 3.59/Major (Psychology) GPA: 3.90; Masters GPA: 3.71; GRE: V 152/Q 146/ AWA 4.5; Work Experience: Adjunct Instructor at CNU/Clinical Assessment Intern at a child advocacy center/Assistant Teacher at multiple learning centers

I've just chosen to accept the offer from McGill because Alberta isn't going to get back to me until April and the pros for attending McGill were numerous. Plus, the apartment I wanted to rent starting in July was going to be given to someone else if I didn't put down a deposit, so it kind of forced my hand. Not mad about it at all, though, since McGill was my first choice! Fingers crossed that I get picked for one of their merit scholarships!

On 2/22/2017 at 8:33 PM, Michelleyk said:

I'm still "being reviewed" at UCI. Tell me so I can decide! I have to go to UT Austin in less than 2 weeks for the Department Campus Day! 

Did your status change? Did you receive an admit?

11 hours ago, ccs94 said:

Did your status change? Did you receive an admit?

No,unfortunately. Still "being reviewed". It's frustrating, for sure, but I'm really excited about UT.

14 hours ago, Michelleyk said:

No,unfortunately. Still "being reviewed". It's frustrating, for sure, but I'm really excited about UT.

Do you have any idea what it means? Does it mean that they have selected you for an admit and are doing a final check or something or what?