Fall 2017 Education Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections

hopefulPhD2017

8 hours ago, megpie said:

In response to JHU question, I was accepted into Johns Hopkins last Thursday.

Did you apply for the PhD or the EdD program? Also, did you interview with them?

Hello, everyone! I am new here. I was a high school English teacher for five years but have been working in politics for the last ten months. I had hoped to earn a PhD in Education Policy. My research interest is in de-tracking and equity of content. At any rate, I have been admitted to the Ed.D. program in policy at GW, the PhD in program research and evaluation at VCU, and school leadership at UVA. The last two come with pretty good funding packages. Yesterday, I found out that I was not admitted the PhD in policy at UPenn, but I was admitted to their MSEd in policy with a partial scholarship. So, I'm really torn. My dream was to attend Harvard, but I was outright rejected from them. Should I take the MSEd (I already have an M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction) and do another round of PhD applications after that or the PhD that's in not quite the right field? 

Thanks for listening! 

Edited by maggiebeth

55 minutes ago, maggiebeth said:

Hello, everyone! I am new here. I was a high school English teacher for five years but have been working in politics for the last ten months. I had hoped to earn a PhD in Education Policy. My research interest is in de-tracking and equity of content. At any rate, I have been admitted to the Ed.D. program in policy at GW, the PhD in program research and evaluation at UVA, and school leadership at UVA. The last two come with pretty good funding packages. Yesterday, I found out that I was not admitted the PhD in policy at UPenn, but I was admitted to their MSEd in policy with a partial scholarship. So, I'm really torn. My dream was to attend Harvard, but I was outright rejected from them. Should I take the MSEd (I already have an M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction) and do another round of PhD applications after that or the PhD that's in not quite the right field? 

Thanks for listening! 

I imagine that a 1-year master's program does very little to improve admissions chances at the vast majority of PhD programs, let alone Harvard. I would personally save the $50k and reapply to ed policy next year or contact UVA about switching programs. 

On 3/2/2017 at 9:59 AM, maggiebeth said:

Hello, everyone! I am new here. I was a high school English teacher for five years but have been working in politics for the last ten months. I had hoped to earn a PhD in Education Policy. My research interest is in de-tracking and equity of content. At any rate, I have been admitted to the Ed.D. program in policy at GW, the PhD in program research and evaluation at VCU, and school leadership at UVA. The last two come with pretty good funding packages. Yesterday, I found out that I was not admitted the PhD in policy at UPenn, but I was admitted to their MSEd in policy with a partial scholarship. So, I'm really torn. My dream was to attend Harvard, but I was outright rejected from them. Should I take the MSEd (I already have an M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction) and do another round of PhD applications after that or the PhD that's in not quite the right field? 

Thanks for listening! 

If you are not admitted to any programs in your field, why do you choose to attend? Wait for next round. A one-year master's program is not so useful even if it is at UPenn or other top schools. When you apply for Ph.D. programs next time, you will not have completed the first semester. What makes you more competitive? You will waste your time and money.

BTW, UVA is a very good school and has good researchers in school leadership.

On 2/26/2017 at 1:12 PM, sofi said:

Hey guys!

I wish I found this place sooner. I've been going crazy by myself for the past three months! Could have used your company while waiting anxiously.

Luckily, I have been accepted to both Ohio State and UT Austin. Still waiting for results from IU Bloomington (they haven't made a peep!). The programs I have applied to were all Learning Technologies. Anyone thinking about enrolling these schools? I'm kinda nervous about funding issues :huh:

Best of luck and very very good thoughts to everyone still waiting to hear from their dream schools :) 

I'm also thinking about UT Austin, Learning Technologies, and will be at the campus day next week.  Did you hear anything about funding in your offer? 

4 hours ago, MTAdventuress said:

I'm also thinking about UT Austin, Learning Technologies, and will be at the campus day next week.  Did you hear anything about funding in your offer? 

Let me know what you think about UT. I'm currently teaching in the United Arab Emirates, so I can't really leave during the term (plus it's over a thousand dollars for the plane ticket alone!) I'm anticipating being a broke grad student and trying to save.

On 04/03/2017 at 7:37 AM, arya.stark said:

Hi all! I've stalked this forum for a while but I thought I'd finally come out of hiding! I've recently been admitted to Boston College LSOE and I was wondering if anyone else was planning to go to admitted students day? 

Hey! Me too, me too! When is the day? I might consider going, but for me that comes to visa obtaining, and blah blah. Which program did you get accepted to?

On 04.03.2017 at 2:21 AM, MTAdventuress said:

Nope. Not only did they not mention anything about funding in my offer, after my relentless questions to the department (they do not have the habit of replying promptly), I found out that they are not gonna offer me any. Let me give you a direct quote from the reply I got:

"All students who submitted their applications by Nov. 1 have been considered for any fellowships the department has. Unfortunately, we do not have any to offer at this point. However, once you are here, you will find there are often many opportunities available especially for those who have technology skills. There are also TA opportunities for those with US K-12 teaching experiences."

I'm an international student, and naturally I have no K-12 experience in the US. So, it'll be a hard pass on UT from me. 

To anyone accepted from Ohio State or Indiana Bloomington (especially international students): Did you hear any word on funding?

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, sofi said:

Nope. Not only did they not mention anything about funding in my offer, after my relentless questions to the department (they do not have the habit of replying promptly), I found out that they are not gonna offer me any. Let me give you a direct quote from the reply I got:

"All students who submitted their applications by Nov. 1 have been considered for any fellowships the department has. Unfortunately, we do not have any to offer at this point. However, once you are here, you will find there are often many opportunities available especially for those who have technology skills. There are also TA opportunities for those with US K-12 teaching experiences."

I'm an international student, and naturally I have no K-12 experience in the US. So, it'll be a hard pass on UT from me. 

To anyone accepted from Ohio State or Indiana Bloomington (especially international students): Did you hear any word on funding?

Thanks in advance!

I am similarly admitted somewhere who have not offered me funding and told me that usually they don't fund first years. Ultimately it will mean I can't go and is as good as another rejection. 

Hello,

I have been stalking these threads for last 2-3 weeks. Thank you everyone, who has been posting updates.

I have applied to Peabody, PhD (LPO). I have not heard anything from them. No interview, nothing.

I am dreaming that they might just accept me :) or at least call for interview soon.

Is this a realistic expectation? Do they usually delay it so much?

I am too scared to actually ask them.

(International Student)

4 minutes ago, Scheacc said:

Hello,

I have been stalking these threads for last 2-3 weeks. Thank you everyone, who has been posting updates.

I have applied to Peabody, PhD (LPO). I have not heard anything from them. No interview, nothing.

I am dreaming that they might just accept me :) or at least call for interview soon.

Is this a realistic expectation? Do they usually delay it so much?

I am too scared to actually ask them.

(International Student)

My understanding is that the interview weekends were some time ago, but I could be wrong. I think the best bet is to call the admissions office and ask.

7 hours ago, istanbulnotconstantinople said:

My understanding is that the interview weekends were some time ago, but I could be wrong. I think the best bet is to call the admissions office and ask.

If you're talking specifically for Peabody, that might be the case. On the other hand, while I had my interview with OSU in the first week of January, my interview with IU was just last week! :) It could still happen.

Maybe stalk the school-specific threads a little?

On 3/5/2017 at 6:41 AM, day_manderly said:

Hey! Me too, me too! When is the day? I might consider going, but for me that comes to visa obtaining, and blah blah. Which program did you get accepted to?

It's April 1st, a Saturday thankfully! I was accepted to the School Counseling program, what about you? 

Hi, my question is a little off topic, but since this is the Education thread I'm hoping some of you can help me out. Has anyone been to AERA (American Educational Research Association) Conference? If so, would you be able to tell me about your experience? I am going to present at a roundtable session in April, but this will be my first time and I really don't know what to expect.

On 3/2/2017 at 9:15 AM, ccs94 said:

Do you have any idea what it means? Does it mean that they have selected you for an admit and are doing a final check or something or what? 

Just heard back from UCI. No email, no nothing Just went online and there it was...it's a no. But I'm happy about UT and think I will be very happy there. 

Got an email on Monday from IU Bloomington and it's a yes! I haven't applied to any assistantships yet but will do it this week. 

I also had an interview with a center at the Ohio State yesterday for an assistantship, and they offered me one. And with that, I close the application season. 

Good luck to eveyone who's still waiting for their results! If you have any questions (now or in the future) regarding IU and Ohio State (don't have much of an interaction with UT although I got accepted), I'd be more than happy to answer them! :)

On 2/11/2017 at 0:47 AM, Alimatou said:

Anyone who has applied to NYU Steinhardt Educational Leadership, Politics, Advocacy MA Program? Applied Jan. 15, as RPCVs must for the Peace Corps to NYU Fellows, haven't heard anything yet. I've been told to 'Set it andddd forget it!' Advice easier said than done, especially when the person giving it is halfway through their Phd at Berkeley :)

I have applied for this as well and not heard anything. I guess we will know by the end of the month!

Hello! Does anyone know if UCLA's Teacher Education Program (TEP) has notified applicants of admissions yet?? Asking for a friend who has been sending emails and calling with no replies :/

On 08/03/2017 at 6:48 PM, Michelleyk said:

Just heard back from UCI. No email, no nothing Just went online and there it was...it's a no. But I'm happy about UT and think I will be very happy there. 

I just heard from them too! They just randomly asked for my financial docs! I anyways sent it to them and they say my result will be given to me in a week! 

On 3/7/2017 at 11:36 PM, gigi99 said:

Hi, my question is a little off topic, but since this is the Education thread I'm hoping some of you can help me out. Has anyone been to AERA (American Educational Research Association) Conference? If so, would you be able to tell me about your experience? I am going to present at a roundtable session in April, but this will be my first time and I really don't know what to expect.

Roundtables are sometimes strange--I've done three or four of them and only once did it really work well--everyone who attended was knowledgeable on the specific topic and there was lots of audience participation. They do tend to be pretty low-key, so I wouldn't stress about it.

To make the most of your AERA experience figure out in which divisions and SIGs you feel at home. Attend their business meetings and socials, participate in any mentoring opportunities, join their Facebook pages--both general and grad-student-specific. Meet grad students from other universities and form a conference crew that you can connect with in future years. Ask your advisor to introduce you to people. It might also be helpful to have your advisor model how to chat with poster presenters and ask them questions about your work. I'm assuming you are a current student somewhere but perhaps this is not the case? PM me for more specific advise if you are on your own...