Applying for Fall 2017

PhDavid

I somehow managed to overlook that fact about Berliner. It might turn out to have been a costly mistake. :/  Actually, it's been a few weeks since I submitted all the applications, and I've now come across a few misfortunes, including a recommender writing a couple of weeks after the deadline and a horrible and unforgivable mistake from ETS. But regarding this one, I can only blame myself for spending so much time on every detail of the writing samples and sops but not reading such obvious things on websites. Thanks, Hooray, for posting! Hiroshiman, thanks to you too, for that info on NW interviews.

On 1/22/2017 at 6:11 PM, HoorayforMusic said:

Hi Unitstructures,

I just stumbled back onto the forums, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you (or anyone else) may have about Duke as I'm currently a musicology student there. Regarding the funding issue, Tray has it right. My cohort is all generously funded, and you have no TA responsibilities your first year, so you're on fellowship; duties start in year two. The amount of funding doesn't change, only the places it comes from.  

Also, Paul Berliner is emeritus now, but there is an active search to fill the vacancy. If there's anything else anybody would like to know, please feel free to get in touch. 

HoorayforMusic! I wonder when interview notices are going out/when recruitment weekend is.. any intel?

Funny thing about interviews here--I never had one. My email from the DGS came January 31st, but since the deadline is extended this year, I'd imagine it would be a week or two delayed. I don't know of any events before admissions decisions go out, but there is an event for accepted students that happens in late winter/early spring if I recall.

Committees understand that little mistakes happen, test scores come in inexplicably late, etc.--we're all human. I can't begin to tell you the ridiculous mistakes I made on my applications... 

1 hour ago, John Beckert said:

Received an interview request from Northwestern (DMA Composition) and it's a 30 minute Skype deal. Any advice?

I had a Skype interview with LSU a week ago. Mine was for a master's program (theory) so obviously there will be some differences. But anyway... mine was only 15 minutes long. Each of the faculty members from the theory department were there and they went around the table asking questions. They wanted to know why I chose that school, what specifically I was interested in studying, if I had any ideas for a hypothetical thesis, and about my teaching experience. At the end they asked if I had any questions and that was it. 

Hopefully that gives you some kind of idea of what to expect. I would definitely make sure you have specific answers to at least those questions, and any others you can think of or find from other threads, so that you don't have to fumble around for an answer off the top of your head. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Hey guys... I applied to a bunch of PhD and DMA programs in music composition... just joined this forum. Do they always interview applicants? What if I went to the schools and had meetings with my persons of interest on my own before the applications were submitted?

Also... is it any of you who had an interview with Stanford today? I saw that posted in the results section.

Lastly... LSU guy, who is your POI for theory?

19 minutes ago, Composilosomatician said:

Lastly... LSU guy, who is your POI for theory?

Honestly part of the reason I applied to LSU is because I think all four of the theory professors' research is very interesting and I could see myself working with any of them. I'm really interested in 20th century music--especially atonal theory--and they all have a lot of experience in that area. If I had to pick one person though I'd probably pick Dr. Bazayev. She does a lot of work with Russian music, which I like a lot. 

2 hours ago, Composilosomatician said:

Nice... I'm acquainted with Robert Peck. Did not apply to LSU though. I'm trying to get a PhD in composition.

He seemed super cool too. I haven't done any work with mathematics of music or transformation theory but it seems like it would be very interesting. 

How/where do you know Dr. Peck?

Edited by PhDavid

On 1/28/2017 at 8:58 PM, John Beckert said:

Received an interview request from Northwestern (DMA Composition) and it's a 30 minute Skype deal. Any advice?

Congrats John Beckert!

Have you thought of a concise answer to the question "why are you interested in pursuing a doctorate"? Also, be prepared to talk about some articles you read recently. 

Good luck!

Hello everyone. I applied to few schools too and still waiting for them to reply. It looks that majority of the schools arent ready so far. Stanford was always sending acceptance letters end of January but didnt see anything this year. Duke extended the deadling so we wont be able to know anything before mid feb. did someone apply to Harvard and stanford?

20 hours ago, PhDavid said:

First acceptance!! Whew, what a relief. There was definitely a while there where I thought I was doomed to strike out completely. 

Congratulations! Mazel mazel.  Surely you have a bunch left to hear from, yeah?

3 hours ago, tray said:

Congratulations! Mazel mazel.  Surely you have a bunch left to hear from, yeah?

Yes, I still have several left to hear from, but the first two I heard back from were rejections and they happened right away too. That made me nervous. 

22 minutes ago, PhDavid said:

Yes, I still have several left to hear from, but the first two I heard back from were rejections and they happened right away too. That made me nervous. 

You're doing so great.

I applied to Harvard, Stanford, UChicago and Berkeley (among a few other places) and, other than my interview with Stanford, I have heard nothing from them. I have my sixth interview today, though! (Also, I am a musicology applicant)

On January 29, 2017 at 5:26 PM, PhDavid said:

He seemed super cool too. I haven't done any work with mathematics of music or transformation theory but it seems like it would be very interesting. 

How/where do you know Dr. Peck?

I know him through just the things you mentioned. We've crossed paths in my conference participation.

I applied to Stanford for composition and haven't heard back yet. I don't know if they have a predictable or systematic way of passing out acceptances/rejections... But according to the results search here, in past years a lot of rejections would have already happened. Acceptances seem to come in March

My interview was good, I think! They said they would be done with decisions within a week or so of that, and that then they would let us know. But once again, I am musicology, so composition is likely separate. 

Hi MZ2015,

congrats on Chicago! I havent heard anything from them (or Yale) so Im likely out on those myself -- big deals, both of them :-)

but I have not heard from any of the schools you've listed, at all (and I did apply to Harvard, Princeton, and NYU). I had interviews with Cambridge, Stanford, CUNY, Penn, Northwestern, and Michigan so far, and those are the only ones Ive had any contact with outside of the standard application received business.