Applying for Fall 2017

PhDavid

45 minutes ago, Karajan said:

If you're a comp applicant, you wouldn't even have worked with Taruskin, even if he were still here.

That is correct, if I were a musicology applicant I would not directly work with Taruskin or any of the other musicologists, of course. Remember that there are musicology applicants here as well.

58 minutes ago, Musick said:

That is correct, if I were a musicology applicant I would not directly work with Taruskin or any of the other musicologists, of course. Remember that there are musicology applicants here as well.

If you were a musicology applicant and were admitted, you would work with the musicology faculty... 

I got the impression that the person who said that Berkeley "isn't what it used to be" because of Taruskin's retirement was a comp applicant.  Sorry if that wasn't the case.  Berkeley musicology is solid, despite Taruskin's retirement.  Changed, but still solid as hell.

Edited by Karajan

1 hour ago, Karajan said:

If you were a musicology applicant and were admitted, you would work with the musicology faculty... 

I got the impression that the person who said that Berkeley "isn't what it used to be" because of Taruskin's retirement was a comp applicant.  Sorry if that wasn't the case.  Berkeley musicology is solid, despite Taruskin's retirement.  Changed, but still solid as hell.

Yes, thank you for correcting that... that's what I get for juggling two different sentence formats and rushing to post between other activities. Note that I said Berkeley musicology "isn't what it used to be." Fact: Taruskin retired = change in the department = the department is not what it used to be (i.e. a department that had Taruskin as active faculty).

Anyway, let's look at my comment for the purpose it was meant to serve. I was trying to make a rejected musicology applicant feel better. It appears that in the process I have offended multiple people... so from a utilitarian perspective, I fucked up. I apologize to anyone who was upset by my comments about Berkeley and I assure you all that you don't need to get defensive about the program you are in or soon to be in. I respect everyone's individual paths. We all have a place in the soundscape.

5 hours ago, Wolfymozy said:

Hello everyone. Anyone any updates on Stanford, Harvard, and Princton? 

I also applied to the composition programs at Stanford, Harvard and Princeton and haven't heard a peep from H and P. As for S, I did my Skype interview late January and am still waiting to hear back from them. FYI...

22 minutes ago, Wolfymozy said:

this is so weird. Its getting late based on previous years results. Looks like we all are rejected. Lol

Hahaha I hope not. Stanford is late for previous years for sure but I did see that someone got accepted in March once... and I ended up not applying to Harvard so I wouldn't know. Princeton has everything happening in February, but ranging from like the 10th to near the end of the month. So, I guess we'll all be plagued with insomnia until further notice?

Well, two acceptances and three rejections this week; I have another interview next week and will hopefully hear from more schools, soon! 

Has anyone in musicology heard anything from Columbia/reached out to Columbia?

1 hour ago, Musica said:

Well, two acceptances and three rejections this week; I have another interview next week and will hopefully hear from more schools, soon! 

Has anyone in musicology heard anything from Columbia/reached out to Columbia?

Where were you accepted? I didn't apply to Columbia but I do see on the results search page that Columbia just got through a round of waitlisting people.

11 minutes ago, PhDavid said:

Whelp there's a no from UChicago and Northwestern for me. 

Personal question... how old are you?

I kind of feel like our generation is suffering from the final years of the reign of old conservative musicians and scholars... in which I include the so called rebels that basically wrote music that doesn't connect with an audience.

So yeah, I fear that those of us who are the prime age for entering the last phase of education or the first phase of an academic career, are stuck with those as our judges... and in the next 5 years or so people might fare better. Sorry to hear you got two rejections man, I'm 0-2 so far myself.

3 hours ago, Musick said:

Personal question... how old are you?

I kind of feel like our generation is suffering from the final years of the reign of old conservative musicians and scholars... in which I include the so called rebels that basically wrote music that doesn't connect with an audience.

So yeah, I fear that those of us who are the prime age for entering the last phase of education or the first phase of an academic career, are stuck with those as our judges... and in the next 5 years or so people might fare better. Sorry to hear you got two rejections man, I'm 0-2 so far myself.

I'm 22 and straight out of undergrad (and music theory, by the way).

While that certainly may be true, I think that probably isn't the problem in my case. While I had a very solid undergraduate education and I think I am very ready for graduate school, I don't think I'm probably the best PhD candidate just yet. I have very little research experience as of yet, and, as a result, I haven't really nailed down my interests yet; they're still quite broad. While this isn't exactly a bad thing, if I'm competing with students who already have a master's, research experience, and a very good idea of what they want to do (especially if this is for only two slots like at Northwestern) then I think I'm just more of a risk than some other applicants. 

I think at this point I'll end up doing a master's first and then try again for a PhD in a couple of years. I was sort of wanting to do this anyway and have already been accepted to one master's program and had an interview at another. 

Sorry to hear about your rejections. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope something works out for you. 

Edited by PhDavid

this thread was much livelier in previous years! so far it seems like most of us are having bad luck. i have an interview with northwestern, for which i am psyched, and was just rejected from princeton, about which i am bummed. has anyone heard anything from NYU for music comp? i saw someone had an interview, are they interviewing all finalists? if so, uh oh. i'm only waiting for NYU and Columbia, and at this juncture I'm not feeling particularly hopeful. 

On 2/18/2017 at 9:28 PM, marcaskane said:

Does anyone have any news on the UNC-Chapel Hill musicology program? They're the only school that I'm waiting to hear back from that I'm at all curious about, and I've had total radio silence thus far.

Judging from another result submission, I think acceptances were sent out on Jan 31. That's when I got mine, at least!

54 minutes ago, CoolGuy1 said:

Judging from another result submission, I think acceptances were sent out on Jan 31. That's when I got mine, at least!

Yeah, I saw those results afterward. C'est la vie. Congrats on your acceptance, though!