Student Affairs grad program suggestions??

Hi everyone!

So I am currently a junior in college and I will be applying to student affairs programs next fall in hopes of starting Fall 2018.  I currently work in advising as an undergrad which is how I got interested in going into this field.  I have been using NASPA's directory but I want real people's opinions! I am looking for a program that is student affairs focused (not research/policy) and that is really focused on practicums/experience.  I am also looking for a program that offers guaranteed assistantships with tuition reimbursement or if its not guaranteed has a lot of options for it! Preferably, I'd like a school in the south, southeast, rockies, or west coast but I am open to the east coast and mid west as well! 

Thanks in advance for all your advice and school suggestions!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Try looking into Colorado State University! The admissions is fairly competitive (250+ applicants this year with spots for 20-30 people), but if you can get in, I think it's an awesome program!

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome you've found what you want to do so early on! I applied to the following:

San Diego State University - MA Postsecondary Educational Leadership w/ Student Affairs specialization (lots of opportunities for assistantships)

University of San Diego - MA Higher Education Leadership (also plenty of assistantships avaiable) 

Other ones I've heard great things about and/or know people who completed these programs: 

Both UCLA and Colorado State, as mentioned above

Cal State Fullerton - MS Higher Education 

University of San Francisco - MA Higher Education Student Affairs 

There are so many options out there! And I've found that many professors and students are more than willing to chat on the phone or set up an informational interview. If you are local to any of the schools you're considering, try attending an info session (usually happens 1-2 times per year), or scheduling an invidual visit. The student affairs world is quite small, so I'm sure we will run into each other in the near future. Good luck with your grad school journey!

• 4 months later...