Post Interview Acceptance Rates

rockyMicrobe

I'm sure that many of us are interested in the post interview acceptance rates of programs we have applied to. If you've asked a program coordinator or otherwise found out the post interview acceptance rate, feel free to post it below.

I'm particularly curious about the UCSF BMS program this year. I looked through the forum and found different posts stating it has been 75% and ~33% at different time.

Not sure if this helps.
One mid-tier program interviewed sixteen and accepted half with the goal of matriculating four.
Another program interviewed sixty andĀ accepted half with the goal of matriculating twenty.

From my experiences it seems that accepting half of the interviewees is fairly normal.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:04 AM, neuroslice said:

I've read online that Yale BBS is one of the lowest (50%) which has made me pretty nervous about that interview. It would be great if someone could confirm (I'm applying within the neuroscience division).

Umm it was a little more than 75% last year (my cycle), and we're planning on the same this year. My PI is actually on the ad-com this year, and she said literally all they look for if you've been called up for the interview is a) you are the same science-passionate student you seem on paper, and b) you aren't an arrogant douchebag.

All the best :)

2 hours ago, Microburritology said:

Umm it was a little more than 75% last year (my cycle), and we're planning on the same this year. My PI is actually on the ad-com this year, and she said literally all they look for if you've been called up for the interview is a) you are the same science-passionate student you seem on paper, and B) you aren't an arrogant douchebag.

Wow, you just made my day. Yale BBS is by far my top choice, and I've heard about them being around the ~50% mark as well. I honestly don't remember where I got that number from, but it's nice to hear from someone who's there that that odds are a bit more generous. Ā 

20 hours ago, Microburritology said:

Umm it was a little more than 75% last year (my cycle), and we're planning on the same this year. My PI is actually on the ad-com this year, and she said literally all they look for if you've been called up for the interview is a) you are the same science-passionate student you seem on paper, and B) you aren't an arrogant douchebag.

This is terrific news, thanks so much!

On 1/3/2017 at 7:23 PM, rockyMicrobe said:

I'm sure that many of us are interested in the post interview acceptance rates of programs we have applied to. If you've asked a program coordinator or otherwise found out the post interview acceptance rate, feel free to post it below.

I'm particularly curious about the UCSF BMS program this year. I looked through the forum and found different posts stating it has been 75% and ~33% at different time.

I am at UCSF now, my PI tells me that for TETRAD at least they do some weeding out at the interview stage so it can still be competitive at that level. Not 100% sure about BMS but would guess that its the same. They do have admission stats on their website showing how many offers they give out per year.. maybe extrapolate from the number of people you see at your interview weekend?

https://graduate.ucsf.edu/programs/bms-admissions

22 hours ago, biomednyc said:

Wow, you just made my day. Yale BBS is by far my top choice, and I've heard about them being around the ~50% mark as well. I honestly don't remember where I got that number from, but it's nice to hear from someone who's there that that odds are a bit more generous. Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, neuroslice said:

This is terrific news, thanks so much!

Sure. One thing I would say is, definitely show that your interests are broad. Interact passionately with each interviewer, show them curiosity at the least even if you aren't interested in their field.Ā I had a very smart (and very competitive on paper)Ā peer with me on my recruitment weekend at Yale. She didn't make it, and I later found out from sources that she clearly expressed her enthusiasm in a very narrow subfield from the outset, which although great for her, didn't go down too well with the ad-com.

Edited by Microburritology

On 1/3/2017 at 7:23 PM, rockyMicrobe said:

BMSĀ hosts ~80 interviewees, and ~50-60 are accepted.

Edited by babybird

On 1/9/2017 at 2:53 PM, virionoftomorrow said:

I am at UCSF now, my PI tells me that for TETRAD at least they do some weeding out at the interview stage so it can still be competitive at that level. Not 100% sure about BMS but would guess that its the same. They do have admission stats on their website showing how many offers they give out per year.. maybe extrapolate from the number of people you see at your interview weekend?

https://graduate.ucsf.edu/programs/bms-admissions

Thanks for giving the TETRAD interviewees a little bit of information about their process! I had looked at the admission page for BMS before, but I know there are two different interview weekend and I did not want to inadvertently raise my hopes of acceptance if I happen to attend aĀ less populated weekend.

Ā 

On 1/9/2017 at 8:17 PM, babybird said:

BMSĀ hosts ~80 interviewees, and ~50-60 are accepted.

Thank you! I did not know how many interview invitations were sent out and appreciate the information.

On 1/6/2017 at 0:07 PM, desmond.bo said:

Thanks! that is very relieving!

Ā 

On 1/5/2017 at 4:42 PM, desmond.bo said:

Any data points for Harvard BBS?

Ā 

On 1/5/2017 at 6:26 PM, Bioenchilada said:

Based on what my friends at Harvard say, it's above 80%.

I just posted this in its own thread, but I thought I'd pop it in here too....

I just heard some informationĀ that surprised me today that I wanted to share (as it's quite different than previous post-interview acceptance rates that I had heard for Harvard BBS). There are ~70 people attending the first (January) interview weekend, and ~50 people attending the second (Feb) interview weekend. They're also still expecting to hear back from a few more people who haven't yet signed up.

They are looking to fill 65-70 spots for this cycle.Ā 

I was quite surprised, because I'd heard for Harvard BBS that if you get an interview, you're pretty much good (~90% post-interview acceptance rate), but these numbers don't indicate that.

Just wanted to share this info, as I know people are often talking about acceptance rates!

3 minutes ago, PhDHopeful3 said:

Ā 

Ā 

I just posted this in its own thread, but I thought I'd pop it in here too....

I just heard some informationĀ that surprised me today that I wanted to share (as it's quite different than previous post-interview acceptance rates that I had heard for Harvard BBS). There are ~70 people attending the first (January) interview weekend, and ~50 people attending the second (Feb) interview weekend. They're also still expecting to hear back from a few more people who haven't yet signed up.

They are looking to fill 65-70 spots for this cycle.Ā 

I was quite surprised, because I'd heard for Harvard BBS that if you get an interview, you're pretty much good (~90% post-interview acceptance rate), but these numbers don't indicate that.

Just wanted to share this info, as I know people are often talking about acceptance rates!

I think this makes more sense given so many people got the invites. And at least for Sys Bio, it has the similar acceptance rate: ~60%

4 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

I think this makes more sense given so many people got the invites. And at least for Sys Bio, it has the similar acceptance rate: ~60%

Agreed, I thought it was too good to be true but had certainly been hoping it was the case.

I was also told, of course, that more offers go out than seats available becauseĀ students will, for several reasons, pick other schools. But not nearly to the tune of 80-90% of interviewees getting an offer.

Edited by PhDHopeful3

Just to give interviewees some more information...

The number of offers that Harvard sends out every year depends on a lot of factors (including historical acceptance rates, which differ among the programs) but it also heavily depends on Harvard's budget across all the graduate programs in the sciences. Each year, the different programs are given a budget that dictates how many offers they can hand out. The acceptance rate also differs by international students and domestic students, so program administrators adjust the number of invites based on this as well (international students historically are much more likely to accept an offer).

For neuroscience, the historical acceptance rate is about 66%. So if they are aiming for a class of about 20 students (based on their budget for that year), they will invite 30 or so.

Ā 

7 hours ago, SysEvo said:

Ā 

Are you saying thatĀ for sys bio, the acceptance rate is possibly similar to before or are you trying to say that it is similar to the currently predicted BBS acceptance rate?

1 minute ago, Flux1100 said:

Are you saying thatĀ for sys bio, the acceptance rate is possibly similar to before or are you trying to say that it is similar to the currently predicted BBS acceptance rate?

Around 60%