Grad school interview costs

pricklypear

Yesterday I received my third invitation to go interview for a phd program! Although excited, this invitation was also met with a sense of dread. None of my other two schools have offered to assist financially in any way (mainly concerned about airfare), which stressed me out but I made it work. Now, this latest school is across the country with really expensive airfare (i.e. ~$500 that I don't have). I don't want to turn down the interview because it's a school that is higher up on my list. Would it be wise to explain my situation or even ask if there is any help with funding the expenses? Or should I just assume that since they didn't address it it means it's not an option? Thanks! 

I'm surprised that the 2 PhD programs you already interviewed at didn't offer some kind of assistance. All the programs (ecology PhD programs) that invited me for interviews promise that they'll cover everything. I would ask them for help if I were in your position. Tell them that without assistance, visiting would be cost prohibitive. Even if they say no, they may allow you to do the interviews over Skype or phone. At least that way you'll still be considered.

On 1/6/2017 at 8:59 AM, pricklypear said:

Yesterday I received my third invitation to go interview for a phd program! Although excited, this invitation was also met with a sense of dread. None of my other two schools have offered to assist financially in any way (mainly concerned about airfare), which stressed me out but I made it work. Now, this latest school is across the country with really expensive airfare (i.e. ~$500 that I don't have). I don't want to turn down the interview because it's a school that is higher up on my list. Would it be wise to explain my situation or even ask if there is any help with funding the expenses? Or should I just assume that since they didn't address it it means it's not an option? Thanks! 

Definitely explain your situation (without mentioning other interviews) - say you are really interested in an interview, but you cannot afford it. Ask if you could do a Skype interview instead. They tend to understand that people can't afford these things.

I'm not in your field but I think it's egregious for people to expect prospective graduate students to fly around the country with no financial assistance whatsoever. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask all three schools about the possibility of a Skype interview rather than spending so much money out of pocket without any guarantees of acceptance. 

Thank you, everyone! I was going to ask for a Skype interview but decided that I didn't want to miss the opportunity to see the school in person. I talked to the professor that I currently work for and asked if it was the norm for students to pay for everything out of pocket and he said it wasn't for my alma mater. At least for many of the psychology programs here, they pay for half of all of the interviewees expenses. 

At least based on the interviews I have, the norm for social psychology seems to be that they cover travel costs up to a certain amount (for me it's ranged from $300-500, with one listing exceptions above that as possible if you email them if you can't get a cheaper ticket), some offered to put me up in hotels, while most offered to let me stay with a current graduate student.

If they aren't willing to help you cover costs, I think they'll understand if you can't afford to travel cross country to visit.

Edited by C is for Caps Locks