2017 Admissions General

For the past few years there's been a thread around this time of the year with applicants freaking about admissions decisions, so I'm starting this thread for that purpose! This forum/ the results search (at http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/ if you didn't know about it) have been pretty quiet so far! So far the only biostats results have been interview invitations for Penn, and stray acceptances to Minnesota and UNC (I posted the UNC acceptance, anyone else get one too?), and the only stats result was an Ohio State acceptance posted today. Anyone else get any other decisions?

Edited by marmle

I applied to 11 schools and haven't heard anything yet, but it's still early. Decisions for the schools I applied to aren't expected until very late January at the earliest. Of course, could have interviews prior to that time. Would anyone happen to know if Harvard holds an interview weekend for PhD Statistics applicants or just biostatistics applicants? Also, does Duke interview all or just international applicants? 

Hey @MsHypatia, from what I've seen in this forum from previous years Harvard statistics doesn't do interviews. Also it seems that for Duke they only do in person interviews for domestic students and they do skype interviews for internationals (idk about international students in the US though) , see this thread

Did everyone applying to UCLA stat PhD receive an email last week saying the following? "We need the following information regarding your application. Please submit your first, second and third choice of faculty member in the Department of Statistics you wish to work with." I've emailed back with that info, but I'm a little flummoxed since, as far as I saw, they only asked us to state "which ladder faculty member would most likely be your research advisor" in the SOP, so I put down one—not three—faculty member in my SOP.

1 hour ago, theine said:

Did everyone applying to UCLA stat PhD receive an email last week saying the following? "We need the following information regarding your application. Please submit your first, second and third choice of faculty member in the Department of Statistics you wish to work with." I've emailed back with that info, but I'm a little flummoxed since, as far as I saw, they only asked us to state "which ladder faculty member would most likely be your research advisor" in the SOP, so I put down one—not three—faculty member in my SOP.

I didn't receive such an email. I referred to 2 faculty members in my SOP.

Edited by metricspace

14 hours ago, theine said:

I got that email as well. I only mentioned one faculty member in my statement of purpose. 

I can confirm that UW biostats has sent out admits and Harvard biostats has invited people to their open house. It also looks like from the results page that Emory biostats has invited to interviews/ rejected people.

@marmle I could be mistaken, but I think that the PhD in Biostatistics and the PhD in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at Emory are two different programs. Everything that has come in on the results page is for the latter program. 

@footballman2399 I just looked at Emory's website and there's no phd in biostatistics and epidemiology, so either the people who posted heard back from biostatistics or epidemiology, and it looks like there's a bunch of epidemiology results out right now too, so you're probably right that they're not for biostats!

@marmle
Have you received the email from UW-Biostats about the visit day in February yet? 
And to answer your earlier question, I applied to UNC too, but haven't heard back yet. I haven't seen any acceptances besides your's on the admissions board for UNC Biostats, I wonder why that is? Maybe your application was just too good.

@kalgrey No I haven't received a follow up about UW's visit day either, I was expecting info to come with the official letter but I guess we'll have to wait more :/

And as for UNC yeah idk why there haven't been any other results either. I'd think if you were strong enough for UW you'd be strong enough for UNC considering UNC accepts a lot more people than Washington, but who knows! An administrator did email me a while back to tell me to remind my rec letter writers to submit their letters on time cause they liked my app, so maybe I was just a really good fit? Idk

I also haven't received any actual follow up from anyone at the department, which I find strange considering I received the admit over a week ago.

@waitforever In previous years the first wave of rejections for UW biostat either came out the day of acceptances or a week later. So I'd imagine we might see some rejections today (or next week). There's still a chance you'll get in later though!

Has anyone heard anything from UW stats or Duke stats? Usually UW stats sends out decisions a week after biostats (although they were pretty late last year), and Duke sends out interview invitations sometime before mid January, but it doesn't look like either has sent anything out yet.

6 minutes ago, marmle said:

@waitforever In previous years the first wave of rejections for UW biostat either came out the day of acceptances or a week later. So I'd imagine we might see some rejections today (or next week). There's still a chance you'll get in later though!

Has anyone heard anything from UW stats or Duke stats? Usually UW stats sends out decisions a week after biostats (although they were pretty late last year), and Duke sends out interview invitations sometime before mid January, but it doesn't look like either has sent anything out yet.

I got an interview invitation from Duke today. I applied to Dept of stats.

Edited by metricspace

15 minutes ago, marmle said:

Thank you @marmle

8 minutes ago, metricspace said:

Around 11am, CST.

They said they sent out invitations to ~15% applicants. So a lot of people. 

Ah ok, looks like I'm out of the running then unless they're staggering their invites. Thanks for the info!

2 minutes ago, marmle said:

Ah ok, looks like I'm out of the running then unless they're staggering their invites. Thanks for the info!

They are probably still sending out invitations. Don't lose hope. You have a really strong profile.