2017 Admissions General

3 hours ago, metricspace said:

I got an interview invitation from Duke today. I applied to Dept of stats.

Congrats @metricspace! You are an international student, correct? Is the interview over Skype, phone?

Anyone know if interview weekend invites have gone out to any domestic students yet?

Does anyone know anything about funding at UNC for biostats? I know that they said it will be decided later, but I kind of thought that was a little odd. I also saw that 96% of doctoral students receive some financial support (emphasis mine). I would think that such a prestigious program would be able to provide all their PhD students financial support. Anyone have any idea of the likelihood of funding and possibly the amount?

Edited by footballman2399
Specifying UNC biostats as opposed to stats.

How many people does UNC admit each year? According to the result forum in the past 2 years, all acceptances (~6 or 7) were sent before MLK day. Does that mean that people who haven't heard from UNC have no chance anymore?

Edited by Neurotic_Jay

@Neurotic_Jay I'm assuming you're talking about UNC Biostats. From their website (http://sph.unc.edu/programs/?ppk=bios-phd-r), it says they admit ~40 students for an incoming class of 11-19 students. You probably still have a chance, as looking back at the results search, they usually send a few acceptances out in early January, then send out some more in February and March (probably as some of those who got acceptances earlier turn them down). Good luck!

1 hour ago, marmle said:

@Neurotic_Jay I'm assuming you're talking about UNC Biostats. From their website (http://sph.unc.edu/programs/?ppk=bios-phd-r), it says they admit ~40 students for an incoming class of 11-19 students. You probably still have a chance, as looking back at the results search, they usually send a few acceptances out in early January, then send out some more in February and March (probably as some of those who got acceptances earlier turn them down). Good luck!

Hi thanks for your answer! Yea I was talking about UNC biostats. As far as I can see from the result forum there seems to be only one "batch" of acceptance each year? Probably means I can only hope if someone turns down the offer and it comes to me....

5 hours ago, Neurotic_Jay said:

Hi thanks for your answer! Yea I was talking about UNC biostats. As far as I can see from the result forum there seems to be only one "batch" of acceptance each year? Probably means I can only hope if someone turns down the offer and it comes to me....

? You might not be searching correctly. If you try searching "unc biostatistics" and "chapel hill biostatistics" you'll be able to find acceptances outside of just January for the past few years. Don't give up hope!

2 hours ago, marmle said:

Decisions for UW Stats are out, or at least acceptances and waitlists, as I saw an acceptance on the results search and I just got waitlisted. Congrats to those that got in!

Hi, I saw your results, congrats! Since you already got admitted into top programs like Biostat@UW, would you mind withdrawing some applications, like Stat@Austin so that others can have opportunities? Sorry if it offends you.

1 hour ago, panletitbe said:

Hi, I saw your results, congrats! Since you already got admitted into top programs like Biostat@UW, would you mind withdrawing some applications, like Stat@Austin so that others can have opportunities? Sorry if it offends you.

This seems inappropriate. Anyone who went through the ridiculously complicated application process deserves to have their applications considered. Also, you don't really know what his top choice program is... Anyway, this is why waitlists exist. You don't need other people to drop out to increase your chances. 

Edited by khsf45

6 minutes ago, khsf45 said:

This seems inappropriate. Anyone who went through the ridiculously complicated application process deserves to have their applications considered. Also, you don't really know what his top choice program is... Anyway, this is why waitlists exist. You don't need other people to drop out to increase your chances. 

While I would agree that people are entitled to make decisions however they deem best, I would mention that when I went through this process to get into my MS program I only kept one admit in hand at a time. That is, I evaluated them as they came in and would decline them ASAP to give the next guy down the list a chance--but that is just me. Holding multiple offers wouldn't change how I evaluated them, either heads up on the fly or waiting on the whole batch--unless funding was pending.

2 hours ago, panletitbe said:

Hey, there are definitely a few apps I'll be withdrawing in the coming weeks. However, I'm honestly not sure which programs I like the most so I'm gonna wait till I hear back from most of the other places I applied to. I'm of the mind that I'll learn more during visits about where I'd like to end up, so I don't want to withdraw apps before I hear anything back. I didn't just apply to a bunch of schools for the heck of it after all! (Also with respect to Austin I'd honestly consider going there because there's a few people I could see myself working with/ personal reasons for possibly wanting to go to Texas)

I see @khsf45's point of course, but I'm kind of with @Quickmick on this. If I get admitted with funding to one of my top programs I will withdraw from my safety schools, etc. in the hopes that others may have a chance. That's just me though. I wouldn't judge anyone for doing it differently of course. 

2 minutes ago, MsHypatia said:

I see @khsf45's point of course, but I'm kind of with @Quickmick on this. If I get admitted with funding to one of my top programs I will withdraw from my safety schools, etc. in the hopes that others may have a chance. That's just me though. I wouldn't judge anyone for doing it differently of course. 

I would probably do the same. I'm just saying that it's kind of odd to ask someone to withdraw their application(s) when you don't know what their first-choice program is, what sort of funding they've gotten, and why they've applied to each program.

Something to remember is that your preferences might change after visiting a program (it's something my mentors told me happened to them, e.g., they thought one program was their "top choice" but after meeting faculty/grad students they revised the order of their choices).

In addition to further issues like funding, there's a strong argument for having a couple of options on the table.

However, of course, if you have actually come to a decision or realize that you have no interest in a program, then it's polite to be quick in declining an offer or withdrawing an application (again though, I was told that as long as I could see myself attending a program, it was worth visiting).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

With all due respect, I don't think there's anything wrong with people holding onto offers anywhere they're seriously considering. Funding can be an important issue so even if someone got into say Stanford doesn't mean he/she would be able to afford it. 

Moreover (and this might be unfortunate to waitlisted candidates) candidates who don't accept/reject an offer may receive additional rewards as time goes on. 

1 hour ago, footballman2399 said:

Moreover (and this might be unfortunate to waitlisted candidates) candidates who don't accept/reject an offer may receive additional rewards as time goes on. 

That's interesting...similar to how when you put an item in your online shopping cart a few days later you might be sent a coupon or offered free shipping? Or did I misunderstand