2017 Admissions General

12 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

That's interesting...similar to how when you put an item in your online shopping cart a few days later you might be sent a coupon or offered free shipping? Or did I misunderstand

Yeah I guess that's a good analogy lol. I have just heard from friends how they waited a bit (from schools they were at least considering) and some got some small fellowships. 

26 minutes ago, marmle said:

There were like 2 acceptances to UNC Stats in the last few days

Ooh, okay, I didn't catch those in the survey because I was searching for "university of north carolina" instead of "unc". 

Welp, please excuse me while I start panicking. 

On 1/20/2017 at 10:27 AM, hkcool said:

Historically, it seems like Stanford ICME releases decisions at the very end of January or early February. I applied too but am not expecting much :/

In that case should we be expecting interview invitations soon? Assuming we're in the running for a spot, of course.

Edited by poopyhead

3 hours ago, poopyhead said:

In that case should we be expecting interview invitations soon? Assuming we're in the running for a spot, of course.

As far as I'm aware, ICME does not have official interviews, and the vast majority of applied math programs don't either. More common would be that you're contacted by a POI who may be interested in taking you on for a quick Skype interview, but even this isn't too common. You can check the results page; people will list interviews they had for specific programs (including unofficial interviews with a POI).

I know some of you guys went to the Harvard visit days for Biostatistics--how was it? What did you like the program? 

Just wondering on the off-chance I get admitted later. I'm living outside of the US, so I wouldn't be able to visit. Any info is great, but no problem if you'd rather not share!

Also, has anyone heard from Johns Hopkins Biostatistics? 

6 hours ago, kalgrey said:

I know some of you guys went to the Harvard visit days for Biostatistics--how was it? What did you like the program? 

Just wondering on the off-chance I get admitted later. I'm living outside of the US, so I wouldn't be able to visit. Any info is great, but no problem if you'd rather not share!

Also, has anyone heard from Johns Hopkins Biostatistics? 

For Harvard, this thread was pretty much what happened:

The whole department was really nice and it seemed like they genuinely cared about all of their students. Unless you don't want to live in Boston (or you really want to live in another city) or you really want to work with some faculty at some other school, I can't see a lot of reasons why you wouldn't want to go there.

As for Hopkins, there was one posting on the results search saying they got an interview on Friday, but I don't think they've sent them all out considering the amount of people that posted UW acceptances/ Harvard interviews.

@marmle 

Thanks for the info and the link to the thread! And good to know! I wasn't sure what the environment would be like, so that's nice to hear. 

That was actually my posting for Johns Hopkins, but I haven't seen any others, so I was wondering if people just hadn't posted them or what. Looks like they're not sending them out all at the same time then. 

I am thinking about withdrawing my applications to a few schools and I have two questions:

1. Would professors who wrote me my recommendation letters be happy if I withdrew instead of finishing the application?

2. Would the school I am withdrawing from be happy with it, that they won't feel negative towards my college/recommenders?

I know for college app the answer is yes and yes (I withdrew from all other schools after I got in an Early Action). I suspect it should be same for phd applications but I'm not sure, since the admitted pool would be so small. 

Basically the question is, since there is only one round for most phd application, would it be offensive to the institutes I withdraw from, or harm future students from my undergraduate institute, if I withdraw now, only two weeks before their result come out? 

btw, wish everyone in this chat get their dream offers. 

18 hours ago, Wzz said:

I am thinking about withdrawing my applications to a few schools and I have two questions:

1. Would professors who wrote me my recommendation letters be happy if I withdrew instead of finishing the application?

2. Would the school I am withdrawing from be happy with it, that they won't feel negative towards my college/recommenders?

I know for college app the answer is yes and yes (I withdrew from all other schools after I got in an Early Action). I suspect it should be same for phd applications but I'm not sure, since the admitted pool would be so small. 

Basically the question is, since there is only one round for most phd application, would it be offensive to the institutes I withdraw from, or harm future students from my undergraduate institute, if I withdraw now, only two weeks before their result come out? 

btw, wish everyone in this chat get their dream offers. 

I don't have personal experience, but I highly doubt you or your school would face any consequences for withdrawing your application. Most schools expect a certain number of people to reject their offers anyway. And I'm sure they have some applicants who withdraw applications when they get an offer that they are definitely going to accept.

For anyone who has already been to a visit day (this application cycle or others) -- 

Did you feel like it was necessary to have your laptop with you? I don't have a professional looking bag that would fit my laptop, and I don't want to buy one if I don't need it (I'm more of a raggedy backpack kinda person ;) )

for those who have experienced or will experience the visit day, how formally should I be dressed? I really have no idea since interview is part of this 'visit day' but sounds like this won't be a formal interview. Any ideas? Thanks!!

19 minutes ago, waitforever said:

for those who have experienced or will experience the visit day, how formally should I be dressed? I really have no idea since interview is part of this 'visit day' but sounds like this won't be a formal interview. Any ideas? Thanks!!

I emailed the coordinator person and asked them if there is any dress code I should know about. From the research I've done, and what she said, I think business casual is appropriate. 

@khsf45 For Harvard we definitely didn't need laptops during the actual visit (idk when you'd have time to use one during the visit). However having it with you would be a good idea while traveling/ at the hotel (to look up any of odds and ends about the program/ professors you're interviewing with)

@waitforever what khsf45 said, business casual. There were people wearing suits and there were people wearing kahkis w/ a sweater at my visit, it's probably not gonna matter a whole lot what you actually wear (just don't wear like jeans/ tshirts etc.)

Also, heads up that Chicago Stats is sending out a first wave of acceptances (in past years they've done these in waves, not sure about rejections/waitlists). Got an email to check the application website

On 1/20/2017 at 10:27 AM, hkcool said:

Historically, it seems like Stanford ICME releases decisions at the very end of January or early February. I applied too but am not expecting much :/

It looks like they're having an event for their admitted students on Feb 16-17. So we should hear back in around a week or two?

1 hour ago, ghjk said:

Anyone heard from UNC's INSTORE (separate from the PhD Statistics program), as well as Columbia's IEOR?

I thought it was the same department (stats and OR)? 

Anyway, I'm waiting as well ...

40 minutes ago, poopyhead said:

I thought it was the same department (stats and OR)? 

Anyway, I'm waiting as well ...

Same department, but 3 different programs. Each program has separate admission committee. Are you applying to Columbia's IEOR or Stern's O.M as well? Best of luck!!

11 hours ago, ghjk said:

Same department, but 3 different programs. Each program has separate admission committee. Are you applying to Columbia's IEOR or Stern's O.M as well? Best of luck!!

Ah, okay. I knew there were three programs, but I figured that since they're within the same department they'd be reviewed by mostly the same people.

And no, although I did apply to the NYU data science PhD program (I'd say my top picks would be NYU DS, UNC INSTORE, and Stanford ICME, although the chances of getting in any of those are slim). Good luck to you as well.

22 minutes ago, poopyhead said:

Ah, okay. I knew there were three programs, but I figured that since they're within the same department they'd be reviewed by mostly the same people.

And no, although I did apply to the NYU data science PhD program (I'd say my top picks would be NYU DS, UNC INSTORE, and Stanford ICME, although the chances of getting in any of those are slim). Good luck to you as well.

Thanks. Don't count much on UNC INSTORE, as a professor told me that they would accept VERY FEW (aka, 1 - 3, I guess?) students this year while receiving a HUGE number of applications. I think you would have a better shot at NYU DS (I also plan to apply there for the MS program, as I just knew about the PhD program after the deadline...Too bad for me:p) and Stanford ICME (missed the deadline. Same story with Ross Business School:P), which are even better in terms of brand's reputation, and the professors there.

Edited by ghjk

1 hour ago, ghjk said:

Don't count much on UNC INSTORE, as a professor told me that they would accept VERY FEW (aka, 1 - 3, I guess?) students this year while receiving a HUGE number of applications. 

:(

I wish there were a way of knowing this before applying.