2017 Admissions General

1 hour ago, ghjk said:

Don't count much on UNC INSTORE, as a professor told me that they would accept VERY FEW (aka, 1 - 3, I guess?) students this year while receiving a HUGE number of applications. 

OMG, NO... If they only admit very few students, they should make this information public on their website...

19 minutes ago, chisquare said:

Am I too anxious or it's still too early for most schools to return the results? A little bit quiet for me....

I think a lot of decisions are gonna start coming out at the end of this week/next week. Looking back at last year (just looking at "statistics" in the results search), nearly all decisions for stats programs came out after January 27th-29th ish, and most came out in the first couple of weeks of February.

1 hour ago, marmle said:

I think a lot of decisions are gonna start coming out at the end of this week/next week. Looking back at last year (just looking at "statistics" in the results search), nearly all decisions for stats programs came out after January 27th-29th ish, and most came out in the first couple of weeks of February.

So we will hear back from the departments probably this week and next week... Now I am even more nervous LOL 

4 minutes ago, chisquare said:

So we will hear back from the departments probably this week and next week... Now I am even more nervous LOL 

Imagine not hearing anything for another two weeks! Ahhh ...

2 hours ago, poopyhead said:

Imagine not hearing anything for another two weeks! Ahhh ...

Perish the thought! I just want to hear back from 1 place so I have something set in stone.

23 hours ago, poopyhead said:

:(

I wish there were a way of knowing this before applying.

I agree. This is why life is unfair...:p When I start applying for biz school in this year (PhD programs in O.M.), I was wondering where all the money from the endowment devoted to this department goes (for example, how could NYU's Stern only take on 2-3 students in their OIMS programs, and 4-5 students in their Finance department. Same case with Columbia Biz's DRO program (1-3 students). Are they really that *poor* on financial side, or is it the way for them to maintain the highest quality of their incoming PhD classes? I don't think neither argument is valid...) They should be able to fund AT LEAST 5- 7 students in each of their disciplines by utilizing the tuition paid by MBA and Master students. Hmm...saving too much money for something else, I guess?

Edited by ghjk

23 hours ago, panletitbe said:

OMG, NO... If they only admit very few students, they should make this information public on their website...

Well, if ALL the information public, you could guess how much they would lose in terms of *GREAT* candidates and the admission fees:)

I wonder if that Forbes article stating that Biostatistics was the number 1 graduate degree has caused a massive number of applicants. It seems like decisions are taking much longer to come out this year than in prior years. For example...

Minnesota: Thus far, there has been 1 (or maybe 2--not sure if the recent one is biostat or epi) acceptance, as compared to 6 by this time last year.

33 minutes ago, ghjk said:

Well, if ALL the information public, you could guess how much they would lose in terms of *GREAT* candidates and the admission fees:)

I mean like NYU Stern makes it very clear that they only admit about 1 student every year for stat PHD program, but you are right, it's about candidates and application fees.

Just wanna make sure:

You guys are all talking about PhD programs here, right? As I am applying for only Masters program, it is normal that I haven't heard anything from any program now, right? All the programs I applied say they'll send out decisions by late Feb or March.

Many thanks!!!

12 minutes ago, lynntoujours said:

Just wanna make sure:

You guys are all talking about PhD programs here, right? As I am applying for only Masters program, it is normal that I haven't heard anything from any program now, right? All the programs I applied say they'll send out decisions by late Feb or March.

Many thanks!!!

We are indeed referring to the PhD programs. It's certainly not abnormal to not have heard from Master's programs. Most schools will take care of PhD admissions first and then move on to Master's.

2 hours ago, panletitbe said:

I mean like NYU Stern makes it very clear that they only admit about 1 student every year for stat PHD program, but you are right, it's about candidates and application fees.

Oh yeah, that's NICE of them, but it doesn't work that way for their Finance or X/Y/Z department within Stern. A ridiculously low number right? The admitted guy should buy a bunch of lottery tickets... I'm pretty sure h/she has the high chance of winning:))

18 minutes ago, lynntoujours said:

Just wanna make sure:

Many thanks!!!

PhD applications need to be in by April 15, so they'll be first. 

On 1/26/2017 at 11:04 AM, footballman2399 said:

I wonder if that Forbes article stating that Biostatistics was the number 1 graduate degree has caused a massive number of applicants. It seems like decisions are taking much longer to come out this year than in prior years. For example...

Minnesota: Thus far, there has been 1 (or maybe 2--not sure if the recent one is biostat or epi) acceptance, as compared to 6 by this time last year.

I doubt it.  That article didn't come out until mid-December, which is kinda late to be putting an application together if you weren't already on track to do so.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:07 PM, marmle said:

@ghjk For the past few years they released decisions starting in mid February so I wouldn't expect to hear from them for another few weeks

Thanks for your comment. I noticed that too, but I wonder if this year might have some exceptions:)) Anyway, I saw that you also applied there. Might sharing your profile stats with me through PM? Best of luck to you!!

Edited by ghjk

On 1/26/2017 at 4:27 PM, poopyhead said:

PhD applications need to be in by April 15, so they'll be first. 

Well, depending on the school. I saw that Cornell's ORIE already admitted some M.S students, but have not seen anyone post their results for PhD apps on the result...