2017 Admissions General

On 1/26/2017 at 4:21 PM, footballman2399 said:

We are indeed referring to the PhD programs. It's certainly not abnormal to not have heard from Master's programs. Most schools will take care of PhD admissions first and then move on to Master's.

Thank you! Now I can calm myself down. And could you please take a look at my profile if you have time? Getting a sense of what programs I can possibly get into can be really helpful for my summer planning. I deeply appreciate any advice! Thank you!

On 1/26/2017 at 4:27 PM, poopyhead said:

PhD applications need to be in by April 15, so they'll be first. 

Thank you! Now I can calm myself down. And could you please take a look at my profile if you have time? Getting a sense of what programs I can possibly get into can be really helpful for my summer planning. I deeply appreciate any advice! Thank you!

6 hours ago, poopyhead said:

Any word from Stanford ICME? They're having their admitted PhD applicants event in two weeks ...

They haven't sent out anything yet AFAIK. There's usually a handful that get in on this site, and no one has posted anything in the results section yet, so you can be relatively sure they haven't notified yet. How do you know the open house is in two weeks? 

32 minutes ago, hkcool said:

They haven't sent out anything yet AFAIK. There's usually a handful that get in on this site, and no one has posted anything in the results section yet, so you can be relatively sure they haven't notified yet. How do you know the open house is in two weeks? 

https://icme.stanford.edu/admissions/requirements

"Ph.D. Admit Weekend is scheduled for February 16 and 17, 2017."

So I guess it's closer to ~2.5 weeks.

1 hour ago, poopyhead said:

No ... Would that be a bit too forward?

Not really, but if you want to be less forward you could ask when applicants to your program should expect to hear back about decisions. It's a perfectly harmless inquiry, and unless you're pestering them it's not going to affect your application. Just make sure you're emailing an administrator and not a professor (since professors probably won't have time to answer you).

1 hour ago, poopyhead said:

https://icme.stanford.edu/admissions/requirements

"Ph.D. Admit Weekend is scheduled for February 16 and 17, 2017."

So I guess it's closer to ~2.5 weeks.

Interesting. All I can say though is that in the past 4 years, decisions have come out at the very end of January or within the first week of February. It is kind of crazy that admit day would be so soon after admissions though.

Someone posted a Harvard Statistics Masters acceptance, so those who applied to their Masters and PhD programs are probably gonna hear back in the next few days (they look like they release around the same time each year)

24 minutes ago, marmle said:

Someone posted a Harvard Statistics Masters acceptance, so those who applied to their Masters and PhD programs are probably gonna hear back in the next few days (they look like they release around the same time each year)

Does the school send admission emails at once and rejection emails later? or does it differ from person to person? 

15 hours ago, hkcool said:

Interesting. All I can say though is that in the past 4 years, decisions have come out at the very end of January or within the first week of February. It is kind of crazy that admit day would be so soon after admissions though.

Yup, hence my panic. I'd think that unless they're paying for tickets/hotel in full, they'd notify you at least 2 weeks in advance to make travel accommodations. 

14 minutes ago, Tttna said:

I didn't hear anything back from Stanford icme, but there's an "Official Documents Requests" on my Applyweb. Is there anyone who has that too?

Not there for me (unless I'm not seeing it). 

*panic intensifies*

13 minutes ago, poopyhead said:

Not there for me (unless I'm not seeing it). 

*panic intensifies*

I think someone called the school and asked about this, and they said it was a mistake. Apparently, the official documents request is a feature they're adding next year to validate transcripts from abroad. If you scroll back on the Stanford results far enough, you'll see a discussion. If you have that option, it'll ask you for money to validate your documents, but apparently a glitch caused the option to appear this year. 

I'm a domestic applicant and don't see that option anywhere. 

37 minutes ago, edward130603 said:

For those that heard back from Duke Stats, was it via email or on a website?

I applied to duke math, and I heard them back from email and asked me to check the website.

btw. are you able to use the onelink account they sent out after we submit the application

8 minutes ago, Judy said:

I applied to duke math, and I heard them back from email and asked me to check the website.

btw. are you able to use the onelink account they sent out after we submit the application

I don't think it works (or at least I can't figure out how to navigate their site). The "Choose Duke" section doesn't even have the graduate program I applied to listed.

But I didn't get an email, so I guess prob waitlisted/rejected.

The results survey says someone had an interview for the NYU CDS PhD program last Saturday and according to the interview he's expecting a final decision within a week or two. 

So things aren't looking great for those of us who haven't heard back ...

To me it seemed like UT was saying they had over 125 applications and are expecting an incoming cohort of 6-- so I'm assuming they admitted more like 15 (based on past admission data), not just 6. 

But still, congrats to those who applied and got in, that's awesome!

Edited by kalgrey

So I called the grad office at one of the schools I applied to today, since people have posted on here that they've been accepted and rejected already and I haven't heard anything. The graduate coordinator took down my name and presumably looked up my information, but then she gave me the email of the graduate committee head of the department and tells me to ask him, and also said all decisions have been made already but official letters have not gone out yet. I clarified with her if it would actually be okay for me to inquire about my application status with him, and she said "I'm sure it would be okay."

This was a good program and I'm expecting rejection, but I'm just very confused about this exchange. I thought the graduate coordinator handled these sorts of requests or, at the very least, didn't forward them to professors. I'm probably not going to bother him since I feel really weird nagging a professor about this. Just wondering if this is common procedure though...