2017 Admissions General

If the person who posted the acceptance to the UNC INSTORE PhD program reads the boards, may I ask for a bit more info?

1. Did you have an interview prior to the acceptance email? If not, have you spoken with the faculty?
  2. Do you know how many students they're accepting?
  3. Have they sent out all of their acceptance emails or should we be expecting another round of emails?
  4. Did you attend a top tier undergrad program? What was your major?
  5. Do you have a master's degree or industry experience?
  6. Are you published?

Thanks ...

And of course, this is obligatory: Congrats! 

Edited by poopyhead

To anyone who got an interview with Columbia's IEOR: best of luck to you!! It is so sad that I MIGHT be waitlisted this year....A dream shattered....

Princeton's ORFE would come out by end of next week...Good luck everyone!

@ghjk How do you know when acceptance letters will be sent or how many students a program is taking on? I need that sweet insider info!

Oh, and any word on UNC INSTORE?

Edited by poopyhead

1 hour ago, poopyhead said:

@ghjk How do you know when acceptance letters will be sent or how many students a program is taking on? I need that sweet insider info!

Oh, and any word on UNC INSTORE?

I luckily have some leverages by being admitted to UW-Madison with fellowship ...Well, I'm not sure if you want to get [X] rejections on the same Friday, just like I did today (it's sad, as some programs you won't believe that would occur:D)....And no word on UNC INSTORE, despite my email to the director as I have some pending deadlines to make...It would be highly disappointed if Columbia's IEOR only interviews 3 students this year, as that is too low for an acceptance rate...

To someone who just posted their admittance to UIUC's IE: May I know when did you actually apply there? Cause I heard from someone who got the offer by the end of December that UIUC is doing that on a rolling basis, and I only apply by January 13th (no words so far)...

Edited by ghjk

11 hours ago, ghjk said:

I luckily have some leverages by being admitted to UW-Madison with fellowship ...Well, I'm not sure if you want to get [X] rejections on the same Friday, just like I did today (it's sad, as some programs you won't believe that would occur:D)....And no word on UNC INSTORE, despite my email to the director as I have some pending deadlines to make...It would be highly disappointed if Columbia's IEOR only interviews 3 students this year, as that is too low for an acceptance rate...

To someone who just posted their admittance to UIUC's IE: May I know when did you actually apply there? Cause I heard from someone who got the offer by the end of December that UIUC is doing that on a rolling basis, and I only apply by January 13th (no words so far)...

Hold the phone. UW-Madison has already sent out offers? Statistics or Biostatistics?

1 hour ago, marmle said:

They haven't sent out offers yet for stats (which includes biostats), @ghjk is talking about industrial engineering (look at his other posts)

Sorry for confusion. It was meant for the biz school...

To someone who posted the admitted status in UIUC's I.E. PhD program: could you clarify you had an interview before being admitted? And do you happen to know how many places left, or if all the offers were sent out already? Whom did you interview with btw?

Just got an email from Stanford ICME: 

"The decision has been posted in the online application system. Please log into your "Application Activity Status Page" to find your decision letter."

But ApplyWeb doesn't say anything new ...

EDIT

Now there's a letter on ApplyWeb. "We regret to inform you that despite your impressive record, the committee was unable to recommend you for admission to the program."

Super bummed despite this being a super reach school and my attitude going into this whole application/admissions process ("If I don't get in anywhere I'll get to keep my job and not take an 80% pay cut lololol"). Excuse me while I sulk at my desk for a week.

Edited by poopyhead

On 1/26/2017 at 0:29 PM, ghjk said:

I agree. This is why life is unfair...:p When I start applying for biz school in this year (PhD programs in O.M.), I was wondering where all the money from the endowment devoted to this department goes (for example, how could NYU's Stern only take on 2-3 students in their OIMS programs, and 4-5 students in their Finance department. Same case with Columbia Biz's DRO program (1-3 students). Are they really that *poor* on financial side, or is it the way for them to maintain the highest quality of their incoming PhD classes? I don't think neither argument is valid...) They should be able to fund AT LEAST 5- 7 students in each of their disciplines by utilizing the tuition paid by MBA and Master students. Hmm...saving too much money for something else, I guess?

You are failing to recognize that OM is the smallest discipline at business schools (top or not). There are typically fewer OM faculty (than say finance) to supervise research. And given the size of OM as an area, the market can't support increase of the supply side (there aren't as many OM faculty jobs as finance/accting/marketing/mgmt). Thus, in the end, this is why you find smaller PhD counts.

28 minutes ago, arima said:

You are failing to recognize that OM is the smallest discipline at business schools (top or not). There are typically fewer OM faculty (than say finance) to supervise research. And given the size of OM as an area, the market can't support increase of the supply side (there aren't as many OM faculty jobs as finance/accting/marketing/mgmt). Thus, in the end, this is why you find smaller PhD counts.

Well, your first sentence is *not* correct. A counter-example would be at NYU Stern, where # of PhD student in Statistics is less than that of OM (1 vs 2-3), and that of IS is relatively on par with OM (2-3 for each discipline). Now, I still don't see why someone needs to get a PhD in accounting, or even management (usually strategy side...see here: http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admissions/phd/admissions/admission-statistics). Your 2nd point is correct if you compare it to finance (it's the most competitive disciplines in business school, so I wonder if you have some *selection bias* when picking out Finance rather than other discipline), but I'm not sure if the 3rd point is correct. Due to the crazy growth and expansion of E-commerce companies, especially Amazon, and the biggest brick-and-mortar retailers are shifting towards E-commerce, this means those companies fundamentally would have encountered A LOT of operational management problems. Even taking something like Uber/AirBnB/etc, the skillset of a PhD student in OM is much more useful than a PhD student in Marketing/Accounting/Stats in helping those platforms achieve their *best* operational capabilities...Saying that the market can't support increase of the supply side simply ignores those companies and the current sharing-economy era we are living in (even the biggest car companies are changing their business models to meet the change in consumers' purchase/sharing behaviors )

8 minutes ago, ghjk said:

A counter-example would be at NYU Stern, where # of PhD student in Statistics is less than that of OM (1 vs 2-3), and that of IS is relatively on par with OM (2-3 for each discipline). 

To be fair, NYU doesn't have a real statistics department.

15 minutes ago, poopyhead said:

To be fair, NYU doesn't have a real statistics department.

Fair enough:) This one is better example (see Accounting vs DRO) http://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs/doctoral-program/admissions/application-statistics. And I am surprised to see there are more people wanting to go for PhD in Marketing or Management rather than OM.....I guess I have not experienced enough in life yet to encounter those Quant Marketers.

1 hour ago, ghjk said:

Well, your first sentence is *not* correct. A counter-example would be at NYU Stern, where # of PhD student in Statistics is less than that of OM (1 vs 2-3), and that of IS is relatively on par with OM (2-3 for each discipline). Now, I still don't see why someone needs to get a PhD in accounting, or even management (usually strategy side...see here: http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admissions/phd/admissions/admission-statistics). Your 2nd point is correct if you compare it to finance (it's the most competitive disciplines in business school, so I wonder if you have some *selection bias* when picking out Finance rather than other discipline), but I'm not sure if the 3rd point is correct. Due to the crazy growth and expansion of E-commerce companies, especially Amazon, and the biggest brick-and-mortar retailers are shifting towards E-commerce, this means those companies fundamentally would have encountered A LOT of operational management problems. Even taking something like Uber/AirBnB/etc, the skillset of a PhD student in OM is much more useful than a PhD student in Marketing/Accounting/Stats in helping those platforms achieve their *best* operational capabilities...Saying that the market can't support increase of the supply side simply ignores those companies and the current sharing-economy era we are living in (even the biggest car companies are changing their business models to meet the change in consumers' purchase/sharing behaviors )

OM comparison with statistics within a particular B-school is a not a full analysis.

Without revealing myself, let me just note that I have a dual PhD in OM and statistics from a top 5 B-school and I am an OM and statistics faculty member at a doctoral granting B-school. So, I agree that OM is a fundamental area that deals with creation and transformation and is at the core of business and is most valuable to the company and society; I teach this!

But, my statements about OM market being the smallest in terms of faculty positions are very informed. OM faculty regrettably get paid less that their business school colleagues, though OM does pay better than statistics faculty positions. There are leading OM researchers (some of whom my colleagues) who are trying to expand the recognition of OM as a field. The supply chain management movement has no doubt helped but OM still has a way to go to be viewed in the same manner as finance, accounting, management, etc.

Finally, there are fundamental research questions in accounting and management that require PhD level training. You just have to be familiar with these worlds.

Good luck in your applications.

Edited by arima

3 minutes ago, marmle said:

Congrats to those that got into Berkeley and UCLA Biostats!

Has anyone heard from CMU stats? Someone posted an acceptance earlier and I'm getting kind of worried

Same. I haven't heard anything.

Does anyone know if UTHealth (Houston) offer funding for new PhD students? I emailed them to ask and they said:

New Student Scholarship will be sent via SOPHAS if awarded, TA/RA can be applied after accepting the offer.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone gets funding right when admitted.

Maybe I should search harder but do biostatistics programs offer NIH training grants?

Friend of mine just got into a microbiology program and they offered him a stipend and two year NIH training grant which sounds very awesome.