2017 Admissions General

Wow, no acceptances to Stanford ICME reported to the Survey ... Well, there's one, but it wasn't by the person accepted. There were three posted last year and three the year before that. Must be a tough cycle. 

10 minutes ago, lynntoujours said:

Thanks! have you heard anything about UCBerkeley stats masters?

Nope, the phd decisions are usually out sometime in mid-February but idk about the masters, I'd try looking in the results search

32 minutes ago, Robbentheking said:

looks like we have a cheeky michigan acceptance too..

Yeah and a second michigan acceptance just got posted :/ I wish more people would write a little something in the results search (personalized email, email to check website, etc.) so the rest of us would know whether or not to expect to hear anything (personal emails probably get staggered, emails to check websitea probably go out at once, etc.)

5 minutes ago, marmle said:

Yeah and a second michigan acceptance just got posted :/ I wish more people would write a little something in the results search (personalized email, email to check website, etc.) so the rest of us would know whether or not to expect to hear anything (personal emails probably get staggered, emails to check websitea probably go out at once, etc.)

I'm totally with you on that.

If you look back a Michigan results last year, the acceptances seemed not to all come at once, assuming we can trust people to report this kind of data correctly. 

32 minutes ago, marmle said:

I am the 2nd Michigan acceptance. I got a personalized email from the graduate chair, Stilian Stoev. The acceptance hasn't shown on ApplyWeb or Wolverine Access yet. Hope that helps. 

On February 6, 2017 at 6:04 PM, another_student said:

Does anyone know if UTHealth (Houston) offer funding for new PhD students? I emailed them to ask and they said:

New Student Scholarship will be sent via SOPHAS if awarded, TA/RA can be applied after accepting the offer.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone gets funding right when admitted.

@another_student UTHealth does offer some funding for new PhD students. Unfortunately, the process is pretty unclear and I am not sure that it is guaranteed for PhD students (as is typical at other programs). I was accepted last year and received a phone call with a funding offer months after the decision - well after I had already accepted an offer somewhere else (with funding). 

1 hour ago, MsHypatia said:

Michigan acceptances and rejections posted. Haven't heard anything yet. We kind of already knew this, but for future viewers of this thread, they definitely don't send out all decisions in one batch. 

And it seems like they send the result for domestic students and international students separately. Although I still haven't heard back from them too....

3 minutes ago, Prestvana said:

I got waitlisted at CMU stats phd yesterday by email and they said the joint programs finished their admissions and they don't have waitlists for them.

Anyone know when to expect news from Berkeley stats (phd)?

When you say they finished their admissions for the joint programs do you mean they've sent out all of the acceptances? And Berkeley stats usually comes out mid to late February so I'd say to expect something by the end of next week possibly.

3 minutes ago, marmle said:

When you say they finished their admissions for the joint programs do you mean they've sent out all of the acceptances? And Berkeley stats usually comes out mid to late February so I'd say to expect something by the end of next week possibly.

Hard to say. They just said: Our joint programs are also done with their admissions and they do not have wait lists. 

Ok thanks. I'm really hoping for Berkeley.

18 minutes ago, Prestvana said:

Hard to say. They just said: Our joint programs are also done with their admissions and they do not have wait lists. 

Ok thanks. I'm really hoping for Berkeley.

Ah ok, doesn't sound great, thanks for the info though! And yeah I'm hoping for Berkeley too. Good luck to you!

3 hours ago, chisquare said:

And it seems like they send the result for domestic students and international students separately. Although I still haven't heard back from them too....

It doesn't look like @marmle (with a really good profile it seems!) has heard back yet either. So, maybe this is a good thing? Michigan is a little bit of a reach for me. I have been admitted to a school that is ranked a little lower but have not been admitted to any schools ranked higher (source: us news and others). We'll see what happens. Good luck to you!

So not having heard from Michigan could signal basically anything at this point? Or do we think it's slightly more good than bad given that rejections have started coming out? 

@MsHypatia I wouldn't necessarily take me not hearing back as a good thing haha

@ecomath your guess is as good as anyone elses! From their admission statistics (https://secure.rackham.umich.edu/academic_information/program_details/statistics/) they usually get around 300 applicants and usually take 15, so I'd imagine they'd end up sending out like 30-40 offers, in which case I think there's a good chance that more than just 2 people who come to gradcafe will get accepted.