Chemical Engineering Fall 2017 Application Results

Kevin1234

Hi there,

Has anyone been accepted to any school? It looks like Stanford starts sending out acceptance emails today, and I get so antsy. Not sure if they send out all the emails today, or they will continuing sending out emails for the next few days.

Edited by Kevin1234

6 minutes ago, skbts said:

From what I've heard Wisconsin, Delaware, Caltech, Northwestern, Berkeley, Stanford, and UCSB have also sent out at least some acceptances.

Do you know when to expect acceptance/rejection from some of these schools for international students?

5 hours ago, spaceyquesadilla said:

I got an acceptance for Michigan today in Chemical Engineering!

Hi, did you get an email today? Do you mind to tell your scores? Nobody has posted result from U Michigan yet.

Edited by szy161616

14 minutes ago, Shengwei said:

Anyone applied for Wisconsin? I applied to ChemE there and haven't heard any news about it. No interview yet also.

I applied to Wisconsin as an international student too. Yet to hear back.

8 hours ago, clay_de_ron said:

Do you know when to expect acceptance/rejection from some of these schools for international students?

I don't know if they always send acceptances/rejections later for international students because I got an offer from Princeton ChemE quite early (I'm an international applicant) but have not heard back from others yet.

23 hours ago, clay_de_ron said:

Fraid I can't help you there, everyone I know is domestic. I don't know that they would do separate deadlines though?

In general to people, I think Wisconsin tends to come out in waves? One of them was definitely on December 22 this year, I know multiple people heard then, but historically it looks like they also do later in January, like probably this week if they do.

Someone I know heard from Colorado today as well but there it seems to be all over the place in timing. 

Other schools: Delaware - definitely rolling, was possible to be admitted before priority deadline. Caltech - unsure but the person I know heard this past week. Northwestern - I think this was all on Sunday, my guess is it would be off waitlist to get accepted later in March or something. Berkeley - I think these all happened in December but historically internationals may be later? Stanford - I think they're done, I think this was end of Dec/beginning of Jan. UCSB - seems to be somewhat scattered, hard to say, but I know that they sent an initial email and there have been followup more official seeming emails and calls so they may be done.

27 minutes ago, skbts said:

Fraid I can't help you there, everyone I know is domestic. I don't know that they would do separate deadlines though?

In general to people, I think Wisconsin tends to come out in waves? One of them was definitely on December 22 this year, I know multiple people heard then, but historically it looks like they also do later in January, like probably this week if they do.

Someone I know heard from Colorado today as well but there it seems to be all over the place in timing. 

Other schools: Delaware - definitely rolling, was possible to be admitted before priority deadline. Caltech - unsure but the person I know heard this past week. Northwestern - I think this was all on Sunday, my guess is it would be off waitlist to get accepted later in March or something. Berkeley - I think these all happened in December but historically internationals may be later? Stanford - I think they're done, I think this was end of Dec/beginning of Jan. UCSB - seems to be somewhat scattered, hard to say, but I know that they sent an initial email and there have been followup more official seeming emails and calls so they may be done.

The deadlines were December 12 for Berkeley and December 13 for Stanford. Could Berkeley and Stanford really finish reviewing all the applications by the end of December? There were around 600 applications for UT Austin last year, and I think the numbers should be bigger at Stanford and Berkeley.

2 hours ago, Kevin1234 said:

@Shengwei and @clay_de_ron What is your status on Wisconsin application website? My status is "Your application has been received and will be reviewed by your program." Do you think they have started reviewing applications?

Same status at the webpage.

Yes, they have sent out acceptance (according to gradcafe tracker page) so I am sure they have started reviewing applications. 

5 hours ago, Kevin1234 said:

The deadlines were December 12 for Berkeley and December 13 for Stanford. Could Berkeley and Stanford really finish reviewing all the applications by the end of December? There were around 600 applications for UT Austin last year, and I think the numbers should be bigger at Stanford and Berkeley.

Just because they get hundreds of applications doesn't mean they read all of them though... They probably throw half of them out based on GPA/GRE--I know, I know, our statements are supposed to matter but that's not the sense I get when professors talk about the admissions process from their end. I said what I said because if you look at the survey results for Berkeley there are 8 acceptances before the 21st of December, and last year the only later admits were for the master's. Someone got in mid-January last year, but mid-Jan is almost over. Then the year before it was all late January but  because this year's wave was so early I feel like it's more likely to be like last year than the year before, and the person I know was really surprised that they heard back so fast. Stanford last year was first week of January too. Some years it's later, but again, people reported Dec/Jan this year and my friend got their call before we got back to campus so...

Idk I mean you never know, some programs have multiple waves and there's always a waitlist. I tend to be pessimistic because then you're right or pleasantly surprised but maybe not the best attitude to have on GradCafe where everyone is anxious!

On 1/18/2017 at 7:31 AM, skbts said:

May I know what did the follow-up emails from UCSB ask the applicants about?

Edited by clay_de_ron

1 hour ago, clay_de_ron said:

May I know what did the follow-up emails from UCSB ask the applicants about?

They were just providing extra information actually. I think of all of the schools it seems they are working the hardest to convince you to like the program! 

For anyone who got admitted, did the professor whom you mentioned in your application contact you? If such professor did, did he or she say anything like "your qualifications/research interests are a great fit for our group?" And what school is it?

A friend of mine posted personal emails from professors at Stanford and Berkeley, in Chemistry though. I got a generic acceptance email from UIUC, and I just want to know if any ChemE departments do things like Stanford or Berkeley Chemistry. 

Edited by Kevin1234

44 minutes ago, Kevin1234 said:

For anyone who got admitted, did the professor whom you mentioned in your application contact you? If such professor did, did he or she say anything like "your qualifications/research interests are a great fit for our group?" And what school is it?

A friend of mine posted personal emails from professors at Stanford and Berkeley, in Chemistry though. I got a generic acceptance email from UIUC, and I just want to know if any ChemE departments do things like Stanford or Berkeley Chemistry. 

Yes I did get a custom email from a POI in Princeton, he mentioned the good research fit and my strong academic background, and even offered to skype this week. 

On 2017/1/18 at 5:51 AM, Kevin1234 said:

@Shengwei and @clay_de_ron What is your status on Wisconsin application website? My status is "Your application has been received and will be reviewed by your program." Do you think they have started reviewing applications?

I checked my status at this site: http://myuw.wisc.edu I guess you have received an email regarding the activation of your id for this site, after you have submitted your application. My status at this site is "Chemical Engineering PhD: pending"

I do think the committee has started reviewing applications, and I'm not sure if they have almost finished it, as some my classmates from other major have received invitation of interview. But I submitted my application near the deadline, so I'm not sure if they have seen my materials. 

I am a current student in the chemE PhD program at Stanford. I can confirm that admissions is finished (all acceptances have been sent), and was finished in early January. It usually finishes around that time each year (you can look at previous years on the results page to confirm).

24 minutes ago, chemE_ said:

I am a current student in the chemE PhD program at Stanford. I can confirm that admissions is finished (all acceptances have been sent), and was finished in early January. It usually finishes around that time each year (you can look at previous years on the results page to confirm).

So why do they usually wait until February to send rejection emails? And do you know how many students Stanford accepted? Only 4 students posted getting accepted this year.

Edited by Kevin1234

I think they wait for the same reason every school waits. There's really no incentive to send rejections asap. So they do it when they get around to it.

I don't know how many students were accepted this year. In the past few years it's been in the 25-40 range.