Profile evaluation: Electrical Engineer

NoHopeWoke

Having a hard time not focusing on anything while we all wait to hear back from schools. I think my app is weak in key areas, wondering if people think I should apply to more safety schools while there is still some time, or if anyone had recommendations. Concerned because I did not major in engineering, lowish GPA, and unknown school.

Undergrad Institution:  Unknown, unranked Liberal Arts school

Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 3.78/4.00
Overall GPA: 3.43/4.00
Demographics/Background: Underrepresented Minority

GRE Scores:
Q: 162 (82%)
V: 166 (97%)
W: 4.0 (59%)

LOR:  I think they're all of average quality. The professors know me *personally* very well, and I did well in their classes, but never did research for them.  

Research Experience:  Two NSF summer REUs at good to great universities in thin film devices. One post graduation research internship in Asia, working in nanodevices. 

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: Two fourth author publications. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Working as full time electrical engineer. 

Research Interests: MEMs, photonics, nano devices.

Institutions/Programs:     Electrical Engineering;    Berkeley (PhD),  UC Santa Barbara (PhD), Yale (PhD), UC Davis (masters), UBC (masters), Toronto (masters), Waterloo (masters), University of Oregon (Masters)

Nanoengineering: UC SanDiego (PhD)

Comments:  Took a two year break during the middle of school, 6.5 years to graduate. Bad Chemistry grades. US Citizen. 

Edited by NoHopeWoke

Nice research and publications. I heard that thin film devices are popular nowadays. Awesome that you have experience working as a full time electrical engineer.

I am also new to the application process, so I may be incorrect.. I don't think it matters that you didn't major in engineering. I think physics will serve you well in research. Also your GPA in your major seems fine. GRE Q and V (especially V) strong. Because I am new to this, I cannot "chance" you. However, posting your profile here (http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/86424-fall-2017-eecs-applicant-profiles-and-admission-results/) might get you feedback from previous admits.

Please consider posting your profile here (to help future applicants):