How important is LinkedIn

Just wondering how important your LinkedIn an Academia profiles are. Personally, I don't feel they to my CV (on the contrary) so I keep I access to it limited and publicise less than I do in the CV. I did notice some activity recently. Any views on this?

It probably depends on the field. In mine, it doesn't matter at all if you're looking to stay in academia (applying for grad school or an academic job). People will definitely look at your academic website, and if you have one, your researchgate or academia.edu page, but I don't think anyone I know even has a linkedin page. Things might be different in other fields, and they are definitely different if you're looking to get into industry. 

I'm an early adopter of all things techy, so I've had a LinkedIn profile for almost a decade--which is a good thing, because I had first dibs on my url being linkedin.com/firstnamesurname. I have an academia profile to keep up with current and future scholars. Personally, because of my background and my goals, an internet footprint is extremely important to me.