Surprise Fee Wavier for Grad App

The Shade King

So I was just submitting an application as I have three more to go and I was having the damned time with this form, and I finally get it right and I go to submit and nothing pops up for payment. I freak out and then I get an email saying I go ta fee wavier for it. I dont know how this happened but I guess anemone felt bad for me and all these expensive application fees I have paid... I feel like I just had a Christmas miracle... 

If anyone is still submitting apps, I hope this happens for you as well...

It's nice. Last year, the Arts and Science program at one school to which I was applying sent out a fee waiver like a day before the application was due. It was a pleasant surprise. Who says procrastinating (or, being loaded down with so many other things that you can't get to things early) doesn't pay off?  

@Almaqah Thwn For one of my apps, I didn't realize I was eligible for a waiver until a notice was included right before the payment section. Unfortunately, procrastination cost me $75 because I slid that application in right under the wire, and getting the fee waiver meant emailing a form to the office before submitting the app online.  I'm glad yours worked out better than mine!

19 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

It's nice. Last year, the Arts and Science program at one school to which I was applying sent out a fee waiver like a day before the application was due. It was a pleasant surprise. Who says procrastinating (or, being loaded down with so many other things that you can't get to things early) doesn't pay off?  

Thats cool, this one was internal to the application. It just happened when I submitted the application and it was an ivy which really surprised me. I wonder how much money the ivies get from their high application fees and what they do with the money.

That's nice. Apparently, one of the schools I applied to switched to an online application pretty recently and was still receiving a lot of hard copies of documents. To encourage the transition to paperless, they decided that this year they were going to waive the fee for all online submissions. I was pretty happy, especially because I'd already been bled dry by other schools and likely would've had to pull some money from my savings account to cover that final application.

16 minutes ago, angesradieux said:

That's nice. Apparently, one of the schools I applied to switched to an online application pretty recently and was still receiving a lot of hard copies of documents. To encourage the transition to paperless, they decided that this year they were going to waive the fee for all online submissions. I was pretty happy, especially because I'd already been bled dry by other schools and likely would've had to pull some money from my savings account to cover that final application.

Yes, I am happy it worked out for you. This process is so expensive especially the gre portion. I hope more schools move away from it or take the unoffical score because 27 a school after the intial 4 is hard on the wallet in addition to the school application fees which can be from 45 to 100 plus dollars.

1 minute ago, The Shade King said:

Yes, I am happy it worked out for you. This process is so expensive especially the gre portion. I hope more schools move away from it or take the unoffical score because 27 a school after the intial 4 is hard on the wallet in addition to the school application fees which can be from 45 to 100 plus dollars.

Sending the GRE scores killed me, especially because I took mine pretty early. My list of schools changed significantly after I'd taken the exam, so only one of my free score reports ended up going to a school that actually mattered. The others were wasted on schools I ended up not applying to. On the one hand, I appreciated having the GRE out of the way so I could spend the fall contacting professors at various schools, refining my writing sample, etc. On the other, my wallet would've been much happier if I'd waiting until I had a more finalized list of schools. The cost of applying is truly insane.

3 minutes ago, angesradieux said:

Sending the GRE scores killed me, especially because I took mine pretty early. My list of schools changed significantly after I'd taken the exam, so only one of my free score reports ended up going to a school that actually mattered. The others were wasted on schools I ended up not applying to. On the one hand, I appreciated having the GRE out of the way so I could spend the fall contacting professors at various schools, refining my writing sample, etc. On the other, my wallet would've been much happier if I'd waiting until I had a more finalized list of schools. The cost of applying is truly insane.

Yes indeed, my school selection changed as well and paying 27 dollars per score was sheer torture. Atleast three of my school did not require scores thank god. That was one good but I really wish they would regulate this and make ETS give test takers more free score selections. Ten seems like a reasonable number.