Behavioral Neuroscience

vallaboop

Hi all,

As many of you have gone through the same, I am hoping for a little guidance. I am hoping to apply to a PhD program for behavioral neuroscience in the fall. I am extremely worried about my chances and I am wondering what I can do (if anything) to boost my chances of getting accepted. I graduated from Syracuse University in 2012 with a BS in psychology and neuroscience (GPA 3.0..ouch). I attended an MS program for Neuroscience (GPA 3.8) but had to leave after a semester due to personal reasons. I am currently in a Ms program for clinical psychology (GPA 4.0) and I am a research assistant for Dartmouth-Hitchcock (previously Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, employed 1.5 years). I have extensive experience with SPSS, I have experience conducting research assessments, have helped in writing papers (not currently published), conducted lit searches, administrative duties, etc. I am a graduate student affiliate for the APA and I am hoping to be a member of Psi Chi shortly. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I would greatly appreciate it!! :)

• 3 months later...

Hi cindyboop,

Overall, I think graduate programs would weigh your MS program GPA over your undergrad. This would not be the case if you had a super low GPA (like below a 3) so I would not worry too much about that. However, if you failed any upper-division or major-specific classes make sure to address that in your application.

As for your MS program in Neuroscience, there is nothing you can do and nothing they should be able to do about that. I actually don't even know if you are required to report that you went there? If you don't have to I would say don't, it raises more questions than helps you.

I don't really know what research assessments mean... could you elaborate? I think what graduate programs really look for is research experience. Whether that was through a research program, a position, volunteer etc. What they want to know is that you know what you're getting into and that you can demonstrate your success in a research environment thus far!

:) I hope that helps!