2017 Acceptances

45 minutes ago, tanooki said:

Congratulations @JessicaLange  A subject line that just says "admissions decision" is a total nightmare. Who do these people think they are

That's pretty standard, actually. Some places will have the decision itself in the body of the email (or as an attachment), and some will require that you log in to the website to see if the decision is positive or negative. The thirty or so seconds it takes to do the latter feel like an eternity, let me tell you...

I was just looking through my email folder for my decisions from two years ago, and one subject line reads: "Decision Made," which is arguably more imperious than "Admissions Decision," while another subject line is "News from University of _______ English Department" which remarkably ambiguous. News! That could be anything! Like...hey, we got a new mascot! Or...one of our professors got a major research grant! The body of the email is a polite rejection, but still, I suspect a direct subject line might save most of us several seconds of anxiety...

15 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I was just looking through my email folder for my decisions from two years ago, and one subject line reads: "Decision Made," which is arguably more imperious than "Admissions Decision"

Wow, "Decision Made"?!?! Someone has a flair for the dramatic.

Would ya mind saying which program it was that gave their decision? (When it's not on the board)

Edited by Yanaka

13 minutes ago, ChloeCriss said:

Is anyone else stalking the Results page, reading and reacting to everyone's responses, even if it has no relation to your program? There are 62 posts from today only. I am living vicariously through these people getting accepted right now. 

MotherfKing-Peanut-butter-and-jealous-meme-20834.jpg

I've been doing the same. Every day I think to myself "Another day of Science majors acceptances, oh well :(" . I have noticed that as time passes though, the responses have become less STEM-y and more Linguistics, psychology, etc.

46 minutes ago, KikiDelivery said:

I've been doing the same. Every day I think to myself "Another day of Science majors acceptances, oh well :(" . I have noticed that as time passes though, the responses have become less STEM-y and more Linguistics, psychology, etc.

i've been watching this too. seems like we're gradually moving from hard sciences into social sciences, hopefully with humanities soon to follow!

1 hour ago, steve3020 said:

Thinking that Duke literature will send their interview requests in few weeks (maybe this week?) makes me so nervous! Anyone else applied to Duke literature?

I did, too! 

On ‎13‎-‎01‎-‎2017 at 10:53 AM, Srutartha said:

Anybody applying to ohio state univ? I really want to get into TOSU. However, I got admits in michigan tech and NJIT. Both were by backups. Congratulations @JessicaLange

Did MTU invite you for an interview, or was it a direct acceptance? And will you be attending MTU?

Sincerely,

Someone with no admits so far :(

On 1/14/2017 at 11:33 AM, klader said:

The people in my program who applied to Michigan State's WRAC program (PhD) already received their acceptances/rejections. Hope that helps somebody! And good luck to everyone! 

There were MSU results on the board a month ago.

I think Duke gives out answers in February, maybe even mid- to late Feb. No worries. You'll know if you're rejected or waitlisted, anyway...

Edit: just checked past results, looks like it's more likely to be end of the month all through Feb for acceptances.

Edited by Yanaka

On 1/13/2017 at 6:49 AM, Wyatt's Terps said:

Hurrah! Way to go, ProfessionalNerd! What's your area?

I've visited Buffalo a large number of times, and know the city fairly well -- just PM me if you want any tips / general impressions etc. :)

Thanks, Wyatt!

My area is more of a list filled with intersections than an exact thing haha. This is why writing a SOP was so difficult. Most people can call themselves a Modernist, Post-colonialist, Medievalist etc. If this is any indicator, I applied to all of my programs with an indicated interest in Poetics and with a secondary interest in Africana/AfAm/Diaspora/Post-colonial/Modernist studies.

Edited by ProfessionalNerd

On 1/14/2017 at 1:56 PM, Wyatt's Terps said:

I was just looking through my email folder for my decisions from two years ago, and one subject line reads: "Decision Made," which is arguably more imperious than "Admissions Decision," while another subject line is "News from University of _______ English Department" which remarkably ambiguous. News! That could be anything! Like...hey, we got a new mascot! Or...one of our professors got a major research grant! The body of the email is a polite rejection, but still, I suspect a direct subject line might save most of us several seconds of anxiety...

One school sent me a rejection letter in the form of a PDF file named "regrets." I'd like to tell you I didn't bother to open the file after seeing the name, but I did anyway. 

20 minutes ago, KikiDelivery said:

If the admissions result do not lie, it appears someone got an acceptance from Cambridge back in November (but they up the results today)? Is that standard for schools outside of the U.S.?

Yeah. Perhaps not all schools, but I know that Cambridge did the same thing a couple of years ago when former member (and wonderful human being) Hraedemus was accepted there (and prompted her to start the official 2015 acceptance thread...).

Edited by Wyatt's Terps

On 1/14/2017 at 10:24 AM, tvethiopia said:

there's a university of georgia acceptance up! congratulations to whoever got it!

I, too, am a longtime lurker, but I'd like to step out of the shadows to claim this one! I was stunned to hear back so early, and with a university-wide fellowship nomination to boot! 

Congrats to those who've heard positive things already...and best of luck to those still waiting! I have 8 more programs to hear from yet, so fingers are still crossed here for more good news.

39 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I, too, am a longtime lurker, but I'd like to step out of the shadows to claim this one! I was stunned to hear back so early, and with a university-wide fellowship nomination to boot! 

Congrats to those who've heard positive things already...and best of luck to those still waiting! I have 8 more programs to hear from yet, so fingers are still crossed here for more good news.

Woot woot! Way to go!

Received an email yesterday from one of my schools with the subject

"Application Status Update"

...it was to tell me my application has been forwarded to the department....

I didn't know if I was upset it wasn't a decision or grateful it wasn't a rejection to start things off--but I DID know that I stopped breathing for a hot second because of it.

Also @imogenshakes I love your handle!!! Cymbeline is one of my absolute favorites!!

16 minutes ago, crugs said:

Also @imogenshakes I love your handle!!! Cymbeline is one of my absolute favorites!!

I guess we know where she stands on the Imogen vs. Innogen debate. :P

(For what it's worth, I'm in the Innogen minority... :o)

Edited by Wyatt's Terps