2017 Acceptances

Congrats on the UC-Davis acceptance, @Mazinha88. Some schools like NYU (in English) offer a salary to teach in addition to their stipend. Others use the term to distinguish it from their fellowships. Does your letter make a mention of either? The salary might also be determined by what your official tasks would be and how much time is involved. For Davis' program in English, half-time is considered to be the equivalent of teaching 3 courses per year and the program pays over 9 months.

Guest tarsila89
3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Congrats on the UC-Davis acceptance, @Mazinha88. Some schools like NYU (in English) offer a salary to teach in addition to their stipend. Others use the term to distinguish it from their fellowships. Does your letter make a mention of either? The salary might also be determined by what your official tasks would be and how much time is involved. For Davis' program in English, half-time is considered to be the equivalent of teaching 3 courses per year and the program pays over 9 months.

They haven't sent me an official funding offer, but they sent an email saying that in the very minimum they would cover the in-state tuition costs and offer me a salary. It didn't mention a teaching or reader position, that's why I was confused. 

1 hour ago, RydraWong said:

Oops yeah right after I posted mine and I was like oh there are more UW-Madison results up yay!! Huge congrats to you - if I had someone's shirt to sob into I would almost certainly have done so but I'm at work right now and so had to make due with hugging coworkers and just staring here in shock haha. Very happy for you :)

Congrats to the UW-Madison folks! I went to UW for undergrad and worked in both the English and Comm Arts departments. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

No funding info from Madison yet - the email said we would hear back in mid-February about funding. A bit nervous about this, Madison is a really good fit for me and if I didn't get another acceptance, I'd be more than happy to go as long as the funding as reasonable. 

Congrats to the person who was accepted to Davis - I'm currently an undergrad there and a huge fan of our English department, so feel free to send any Davis questions my way. 

18 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

No funding info from Madison yet - the email said we would hear back in mid-February about funding. A bit nervous about this, Madison is a really good fit for me and if I didn't get another acceptance, I'd be more than happy to go as long as the funding as reasonable.

Yeah, UW-Madison is such a fantastic program, and were it not for what Scott Walker did to state funding a couple of years ago (I nearly added a few colorful adjectives before his name), I would have applied there as well.

It IS a great program, and you should be extremely happy about your acceptance. I do worry a bit, however, about the realities of funding. If you look at the link @Quickmick posted in the Funding thread, you'll see a couple of entries from last year that state a $1000 stipend. I've also heard (apocryphally) about $5000 stipends there. Things may have changed, and those entries might be inaccurate or misleading, but definitely be prepared for a disappointingly low offer, despite the excellence of the program.

35 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Yeah, UW-Madison is such a fantastic program, and were it not for what Scott Walker did to state funding a couple of years ago (I nearly added a few colorful adjectives before his name), I would have applied there as well.

It IS a great program, and you should be extremely happy about your acceptance. I do worry a bit, however, about the realities of funding. If you look at the link @Quickmick posted in the Funding thread, you'll see a couple of entries from last year that state a $1000 stipend. I've also heard (apocryphally) about $5000 stipends there. Things may have changed, and those entries might be inaccurate or misleading, but definitely be prepared for a disappointingly low offer, despite the excellence of the program.

Yeah reading through old threads about funding has made me a bit nervous about what they'll offer. I responded to the acceptance email asking generally about the funding situation and the DGS responded and said they guarantee 5-6 years of funding but that the total amount of the stipend is TBD - I would hope that the stipend isn't something as pitiful at $1000 or $5000 but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. 

I just checked OSU's website.

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Congratulations - you have been offered admission! Use the link on the main page of the Applicant Center to accept or decline. Please click the Application Requirements tab above to see what items, if any, are still needed. Items with a status of 'Incomplete' are still required, 'Received' are currently being processed, and 'Completed' have fulfilled the requirement."

I can't believe it. Utter shock and joy right now.

I keep worrying that I'm going to refresh and it's going to go away...

4 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

"Congratulations - you have been offered admission! Use the link on the main page of the Applicant Center to accept or decline. Please click the Application Requirements tab above to see what items, if any, are still needed. Items with a status of 'Incomplete' are still required, 'Received' are currently being processed, and 'Completed' have fulfilled the requirement."

Oh My Gosh Congrats!!! Mine still says pending....hmmmm hopefully this will change soon!

@Mazinha88 haha congrats! I applied to UC Davis as well. Haven't heard anything back so I'm not sure if that's a rejection or a waitlist, but I'm glad I know they've started making decisions. Honestly, getting into just one program has made me much less anxious about possible rejections. I'm sure you'll feel that too.

31 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Sincerest congratulations WT, as others have already said, its very well deserved!

32 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

Oh My Gosh Congrats!!! Mine still says pending....hmmmm hopefully this will change soon!

Mine does too. Hope that's not an implied no... 

congratulations, @Wyatt's Terps  You're such a light on this board you deserve it. 

Although you are now to blame for my recent heart palptations. 

Thank you all so much! I was seriously paralyzed for a moment after reading the result, and I posted here before contacting any friends and family...because y'all have been such an incredible support system for the past 2.5 years (and the last few months in particular!). I'll stop hogging this thread now, I promise. I'm just so elated! Good luck to everyone still waiting, and always remember to check application portals, even when you don't have acceptance emails...

You guys! I am ALWAYS all out of up-votes, but CONGRATULATIONS on all the happy news!! I wish I could "like" them all!!! But read every single one!! (My OSU status is still "pending," too, that's the earliest I expect, so still patience is needed on me!) Many congrats, to all of today's admits!!! <3 <3 

55 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

So many congratulations your way!

I checked my portal, and I received the same status update for OSU!

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Congrats WT! Well deserved!

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Congratulations, @Wyatt's Terps! Well deserved. You've been a supportive presence here and have helped many people -- including myself -- get through the emotional and logistical hurtles involved in the application process. I'm positive that more acceptances will continue to roll in for you during the next few weeks!