2017 Acceptances

1 hour ago, zombiekeats said:

Time to break out the ol' Sufjan Stevens entire discography

you joke, but

1. i love sufjan and have been listening to him almost exclusively in these trying times (lol)

2. thinking about an implied michigan rejection while driving when suddenly "say yes! to michigan!" is a real kick in the chest

omfg i just got off the phone with the graduate coordinator at U Michigan and apparently each different type of English PhD program sends out their results at different times?? I applied for the joint PhD in English and Gender Studies and she told me she'll hopefully get results out by the end of this week and that Michigan doesn't leave students hanging and sends out rejection letters in addition to acceptance/waitlist. not sure if this comforts anyone but it did provide me with some much needed relief. 

I'm not necessarily countering what the coordinator told you, but it's an awfully odd statement given that Mich already sent out a bunch of acceptances last week, and no rejections. I'd call that a very mild form of "leaving students hanging." ;) That's not a knock on them -- as I've contended many times, I think adcoms deserve a ton of latitude. I just don't particularly understand her comments.

1 minute ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I'm not necessarily countering what the coordinator told you, but it's an awfully odd statement given that Mich already sent out a bunch of acceptances last week, and no rejections. I'd call that a very mild form of "leaving students hanging." ;) That's not a knock on them -- as I've contended many times, I think adcoms deserve a ton of latitude. I just don't particularly understand her comments.

that's fair! perhaps she was speaking more to the specific english/women's studies program, as that is the actual program she is the coordinator of?? she didn't seem to have much knowledge about other areas of the department, really.

11 minutes ago, acidtooth said:

that's fair! perhaps she was speaking more to the specific english/women's studies program, as that is the actual program she is the coordinator of?? she didn't seem to have much knowledge about other areas of the department, really.

Hmm, yeah--from my experience with the Michigan joint programs in the past, I'm inclined to believe that this is mostly true for the joint programs. My rejection from the English & Gender Studies program from a couple years back came at a different time than the other Michigan decisions, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm not at all sure about the regular PhD though--maybe they do it like Columbia and split it up by subfield?

1 hour ago, la_mod said:

you joke, but

1. i love sufjan and have been listening to him almost exclusively in these trying times (lol)

2. thinking about an implied michigan rejection while driving when suddenly "say yes! to michigan!" is a real kick in the chest

I feel you on pretty much everything there, Carrie & Lowell has been my (very very sad) jam the past couple of weeks. Second time applying to Michigan and I'm like lol no what I'm not freaking out you are :'(

2 hours ago, yanicus said:

@orphic_mel528 @positivitize did you literally both just post the same gif at the same time O.o

This is quite impressive, especially considering the fact that we're all internet strangers. Bravo! ?? 

1 hour ago, chocochip said:

@imogenshakes, thank you! I'm in the process of arranging my own visit, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the general atmosphere of the department.

Athens seems like a cool town, yes. :D

Just got done with day one, has been great so far! I'll msg you my thoughts in a bit! 

Well, if the following results post is to be believed...

Emailed POI over the weekend. Received a nice email response today saying I'd been rejected, and that the school accepted 14 out of approx 550 applicants.

...then that other result might be legit, and the rest of us might be hooped.

14 out of 550 suggests an expected yield of 7 or 8, which seems low...but is also in line with a lot of programs this cycle. It also means (in pure statistical terms) that we all had a 2.5% chance of acceptance. I guess I can't be too sad about an implied rejection when the odds are that long...

Just now, Wyatt's Terps said:

14 out of 550 suggests an expected yield of 7 or 8, which seems low...but is also in line with a lot of programs this cycle. It also means (in pure statistical terms) that we all had a 2.5% chance of acceptance. I guess I can't be too sad about an implied rejection when the odds are that long...

Look at all your glorious mathyness. 

54 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

This is quite impressive, especially considering the fact that we're all internet strangers. Bravo! ?? 

Just got done with day one, has been great so far! I'll msg you my thoughts in a bit! 

@positivitize is actually my long lost twin. It's like the Luke and Leia thing, but without the awkward, socially unacceptable kissing that we'd all have to pretend never happened.

5 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Did I miss numbers for other schools? If that post is to be believed, it lines up with information I received from the DGS that said they've been receiving 500-600 applications in recent years. Is that number higher for other schools too? I'm wondering if NYU, Columbia, and Chicago are back to their 600+ numbers? Anyone have numbers on other schools?

1 minute ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Doesn't everyone have an abacus beside their desk?

Just now, Warelin said:

Did I miss numbers for other schools? If that post is to be believed, it lines up with information I received from the DGS that said they've been receiving 500-600 applications in recent years. Is that number higher for other schools too? I'm wondering if NYU, Columbia, and Chicago are back to their 600+ numbers? Anyone have numbers on other schools?

I don't know their total numbers, but OSU anticipates a final cohort of 9 M.A. and 9 Ph.D. students.

1 minute ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Doesn't everyone have an abacus beside their desk?

I don't know their total numbers, but OSU anticipates a final cohort of 9 M.A. and 9 Ph.D. students.

I thought OSU's English program was integrated into the Ph.D.? I know last year, OSU had 6 BA to PHD students and 9 MA to PHD students. I know their usual goal is to have 18-20 students.

Just now, Warelin said:

I thought OSU's English program was integrated into the Ph.D.? I know last year, OSU had 6 BA to PHD students and 9 MA to PHD students. I know their usual goal is to have 18-20 students.

I slightly misspoke: they plan to accept 9 with B.A. to their M.A./Ph.D. track, and 9 with M.A. to their Ph.D. track.

15 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

@positivitize is actually my long lost twin. It's like the Luke and Leia thing, but without the awkward, socially unacceptable kissing that we'd all have to pretend never happened.

Oh, so we're pretending that never happened?

Image result for han reaction

Edited by positivitize

17 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

lol never mind then, I almost certainly am not that lucky

tumblr_nj07s7Mojd1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Sounds naive, I had no idea the odds had gotten that steep! I thought most schools were at 350ish these days

Just now, zombiekeats said:

Sounds naive, I had no idea the odds had gotten that steep! I thought most schools were at 350ish these days

Not naive at all! It's easy to forget how long the odds are for acceptances, which is even one is a huge relief and a major luxury! And humbling...very, very humbling.

On 2/20/2017 at 6:04 PM, Wyatt's Terps said:

Sorry about that! I had one thing in my memory, but when I rechecked the email, it was a little different... :unsure:

Does that mean they expect a cohort of less than 18? Or are they moving towards only sending as many invites as they have spots like other programs?

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Does that mean they expect a cohort of less than 18? Or are they moving towards only sending as many invites as they have spots like other programs?

No, that part I got right the first time: OSU anticipates a final cohort of 18 (9 to each track). I don't know how many offers were made to get to that number, however.

2 hours ago, acidtooth said:

The joint programs involve coordination between two departments; if you were in English and Gender Studies or English and Education (which is even further removed from the English Department than E&GS is), you'd have a different DGS than English Language and Literature. They're very much joint degrees. In fact, people in the joint program tend to spend more time in GS or Ed than in English. The non-English department structures your coursework and coordinates your teaching, so it makes sense that things would shake out this way. E&GS students also have a GS faculty member on their review committees (and E&E has a different procedure altogether). So if you're hearing conflicting things, that's because things vary very much depending on which program you're in. Within L&L, there's no differentiation between subfield.