2017 Acceptances

31 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Congrats @cloudyword and @eadwacer on the UBC acceptances! Vancouver is a beautiful city. Just to double-check, were your acceptances for the MA or the PhD program? I applied to the PhD program but I heard they only took 4 people last year so it's quite a competitive institution.

I applied to the MA since I'm applying with only a BA and (though my knowledge of Canadian higher ed is kind of shaky) was under the impression that it's generally encouraged in Canada to go through an MA program before applying to the PhD. In retrospect I'm not sure if I interpreted that correctly, but I feel like doing an MA thesis before going into a PhD program would be good for me as a scholar, so I'm alright with it if that's where I end up going.

Am I the only person who applied to University of Washington and University of Oregon? Rejection and inclination have both pretty much made up my mind, but I don't think I've seen anyone else who even applied there.  

5 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Am I the only person who applied to University of Washington and University of Oregon? Rejection and inclination have both pretty much made up my mind, but I don't think I've seen anyone else who even applied there.  

I applied to the U of Oregon, too~  Could be wrong (and I hope I am), but I don't think we'll be hearing anything until next week or so. 

Just now, biyutefulphlower said:

I applied to the U of Oregon, too~  Could be wrong (and I hope I am), but I don't think we'll be hearing anything until next week or so. 

That's pretty much what I figured. Thanks for piping up!

45 minutes ago, eadwacer said:

I applied to the MA since I'm applying with only a BA and (though my knowledge of Canadian higher ed is kind of shaky) was under the impression that it's generally encouraged in Canada to go through an MA program before applying to the PhD. In retrospect I'm not sure if I interpreted that correctly, but I feel like doing an MA thesis before going into a PhD program would be good for me as a scholar, so I'm alright with it if that's where I end up going.

@eadwacer you are definitely correct that in Canada you have to have an MA before applying for a PhD (and that doing a thesis during your MA is important but not essential for a PhD in Canada; it helps you develop your research but it's not a prerequisite). Growing up in Canada, I didn't even know that the States let people do PhDs without doing their MAs! I only found that out after I already got my MA haha. From what I've heard, UBC's English department is incredible, so congrats on having the opportunity to go there!

Edited by ThePomoHipster

29 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I applied (and got into) UW a previous year-- I just double-checked my records, and I didn't hear from them until March 13th. Also a heads up that they don't fund all their students; I believe I was told that I would only get funding if a TA spot opened up, but that there were no guarantees. 

I went there for undergrad though, and am from Seattle, and it's a beautiful school!

6 minutes ago, urbanfarmer said:

I applied (and got into) UW a previous year-- I just double-checked my records, and I didn't hear from them until March 13th. Also a heads up that they don't fund all their students; I believe I was told that I would only get funding if a TA spot opened up, but that there were no guarantees. 

I went there for undergrad though, and am from Seattle, and it's a beautiful school!

I have to admit that both universities were safeties for me--not because they don't have great programs, but because they don't have a lot of support for Early Modernists like myself. Thanks for the info!

Edited by orphic_mel528

41 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I applied to both! I haven't heard anything and my portals haven't updated. 

6 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I have to admit that both universities were safeties for me--not because they don't have great programs, but because they don't have a lot of support for Early Modernists like myself. Thanks for the info!

Who caught your attention that made you decide to apply? When I made an inquiry earlier in the year, the grad secretary told me Dr. Dugaw and Dr. Ginsberg were retiring.

Wow, guys, I haven't been on for a couple of days and this thread just exploded. Congrats to everyone who has gotten an acceptance in the past few days! 

I just got my official letter from Iowa, so that train should be rolling now! I already had an idea (my mentor knew and was being really vague about it, haha), but it's nice to have specifics. Was offered a TAship and the DGS asked to call me soon to talk more about that, so...yeah. I'm quite excited! It's a MUCH better offer than I was anticipating, so I may not have really narrowed down my decision as much as I thought I had. I mean, their book studies program is INCREDIBLE. 

Has anyone on this thread officially decided where they're going yet? Is there going to be a new thread somewhere to post this news? I haven't decided yet, but would like to know if and when anyone has settled on anything.

44 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Who caught your attention that made you decide to apply? When I made an inquiry earlier in the year, the grad secretary told me Dr. Dugaw and Dr. Ginsberg were retiring.

Dr. Bovilsky, mainly. I would honestly be surprised if either offered me admission, just based on resources. 

20 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I just got my official letter from Iowa, so that train should be rolling now! I already had an idea (my mentor knew and was being really vague about it, haha), but it's nice to have specifics. Was offered a TAship and the DGS asked to call me soon to talk more about that, so...yeah. I'm quite excited! It's a MUCH better offer than I was anticipating, so I may not have really narrowed down my decision as much as I thought I had. I mean, their book studies program is INCREDIBLE. 

Has anyone on this thread officially decided where they're going yet? Is there going to be a new thread somewhere to post this news? I haven't decided yet, but would like to know if and when anyone has settled on anything.

Congratulations, I'm so excited for you! If you're thinking about them and have questions happy to answer any like I said :) Their book studies stuff is definitely great—Hooks is super awesome, the Center for the Book is crazy, lot of great resources. 

I also already decided—off to Notre Dame! My other offer wasn't funded, and even if I got off the waitlists for my other schools I felt the faculty at ND were best for my interests, their funding was most generous, and they just have a lot of great resources. Really excited! 

8 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Too true! 

Any idea where you'd prefer to go if your pending apps say yes?

8 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

Congratulations, I'm so excited for you! If you're thinking about them and have questions happy to answer any like I said :) Their book studies stuff is definitely great—Hooks is super awesome, the Center for the Book is crazy, lot of great resources. 

I also already decided—off to Notre Dame! My other offer wasn't funded, and even if I got off the waitlists for my other schools I felt the faculty at ND were best for my interests, their funding was most generous, and they just have a lot of great resources. Really excited! 

I'm glad that you were accepted by your best fit school. :)

13 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Any idea where you'd prefer to go if your pending apps say yes?

I'm glad that you were accepted by your best fit school. :)

Unless they have something phenomenal to offer me by way of funding, I'm pretty much decided on UMASS for a number of reasons. 

AHHHH just got an email from Heather Hicks at Villanova and I am IN!!! So thrilled after 3 rejections from PhD programs. Personal email with official offer to follow, funding decisions will be made after March 1st. I am so happy!!!! (English Masters program - it is not letting me post on the board for some reason - but I had to let you guys know!)

3 hours ago, shoestofollow said:

Columbia's AdCom does not meet until this Friday, so that's the earliest we'll hear, but most likely next week!

Oh, I didn't realize the AdCom hadn't met yet; that's great! Nerve-wracking, but at least now I can pretend like I still have a shot, ha.

11 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

AHHHH just got an email from Heather Hicks at Villanova and I am IN!!! So thrilled after 3 rejections from PhD programs. Personal email with official offer to follow, funding decisions will be made after March 1st. I am so happy!!!! (English Masters program - it is not letting me post on the board for some reason - but I had to let you guys know!)

Congratulations! I live 20 minutes from Villanova, so if you have any questions about the area, feel free to reach out. 

50 minutes ago, Mippipopolous said:

Congrats on making a decision! How exciting~~

On 2/22/2017 at 2:56 PM, ProfessionalNerd said:

Can anybody give me any info on UPenn, UIC and UNC? Have they finished their acceptances and waitlists? 

Someone posted earlier that UPenn has finished their waitlists and acceptances. Not sure about the other 2 schools.

On 2/22/2017 at 2:06 PM, natalielouise said:

Congratulations! 

2 hours ago, yanicus said:

@imogenshakes wow I am rooting so hard for you to get the clean sweep. Congratulations on all your successes so far!

Thank you so much! I have my fingers crossed for a clean sweep, but I doubt I'll end up at GWU if I do get in, so I won't be too torn up. 

1 hour ago, Mippipopolous said:

Thank you so much! I will send you a message soon with some of my questions, for sure. And congrats to you on having made a decision! I considered applying to ND, they have such a great program in so many areas. I'm so excited for you! You should start a decisions thread or something, so we can all celebrate and figure out who all will be in the same programs!