2017 Acceptances

WOW I just received another offer from CU Boulder! They called me!!! They are unable to offer me admission into the PhD program (they only accepted 4 students) but would love to have me in the MA!!! Really thrilled; it was a nice phone call. First phone call of the admissions season and was really terrifying. Funding will be offered later.

1 hour ago, RydraWong said:

Just got an acceptance email from the University of Washington!! This was the last school I was waiting on and a great fit for my interests so I'm super stoked. :)) offered a first year fellowship as well ah

Congrats on your acceptance!! :)

Was the email notification personalized? Just trying to feel out if maybe UW is done sending acceptances at this point. It feels like my last shot at an admission this year so I'm pretty much starving for information! 

2 hours ago, clinamen said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! :)

Was the email notification personalized? Just trying to feel out if maybe UW is done sending acceptances at this point. It feels like my last shot at an admission this year so I'm pretty much starving for information! 

Thanks! And yes my email was very personalized, it made detailed references to my research interests and the professors I named in my SOP. So I think they're taking their time and still sending out admissions decisions probably :) They might also be sending out notifications depending on different funding situations? I got a fellowship so maybe they notified me early and they'll be notifying other people as the week goes on. Hope this was helpful, I know it's a really stressful time!! I'm pulling for ya :)

20 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

Thanks! And yes my email was very personalized, it made detailed references to my research interests and the professors I named in my SOP. So I think they're taking their time and still sending out admissions decisions probably :) They might also be sending out notifications depending on different funding situations? I got a fellowship so maybe they notified me early and they'll be notifying other people as the week goes on. Hope this was helpful, I know it's a really stressful time!! I'm pulling for ya :)

Thank you sooo much! I really, really hope you're right! An acceptance would make my life! 

But seriously, congratulations!! That's amazing that you were awarded a fellowship and funding!! :)

Holy shit, I just got into Oxford! :o Rejections from both Columbia and NYU, so yay this! Going to be biting my fingernails until I hear about funding (nominated by the English department for scholarship funding, but I'll have to wait for the Humanities division to make their final calls).

19 hours ago, ShakesRos said:

Hi! Yes I applied to the Tufts and Brandeis PhD programs. I emailed Tufts today, so hopefully I will hear soon. I think Brandies should be notifying this week from what their website says. Fingers crossed for one of them! But, if not then BU MA it is. 

Good luck to you! I hope you get a PhD acceptance, but I'm so glad you got into BU's MA. I got a letter from Boston College and they declined my application. So one acceptance and two declines.

Also, congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance.

1 hour ago, Captain Cabinets said:

Holy shit, I just got into Oxford! :o Rejections from both Columbia and NYU, so yay this! Going to be biting my fingernails until I hear about funding (nominated by the English department for scholarship funding, but I'll have to wait for the Humanities division to make their final calls).

Ahhh, congratulations! That's incredible!

Just got an email from Northeastern. Rejected from PhD program but accepted to MA program with a Dean's scholarship (which, unfortunately, only grants a 25% tuition waiver). I definitely won't be accepting this offer, as I have some fully funded offers already. Hopefully that means a person on the waitlist (if they have one) will get some good news!

2 hours ago, Captain Cabinets said:

That's amazing! Congrats! 

2 hours ago, Captain Cabinets said:

Congratulations!

May the funding be enough for you to not only afford to live there, but to be able to purchase a top hat, monocle, and ornate pipe!

On 3/1/2017 at 11:16 AM, unræd said:

Looks like you may be a bit lost -- this is a thread for applicants for programs in English Literature, which has far different application procedures, timelines, etc from the sciences.

So sorry! I am very new to this forum! Thank you for letting me know! 

Hello, all! I've been lurking for the past few days; I wish I'd known about this place earlier! So I have good news, bad news, okay news, and questions.

• Good news: I was accepted at Kent state with full funding on Monday!
  • Bad news: I was rejected by Michigan State a while back (expected).
  • Okay news: I'm on the wait list at Ohio State. I know some others are, as well. Here's to hoping that everyone ahead of us got offers that were better for them!
  • Question: Has anyone heard from Arizona State (Rhet/Comp)? I've been checking their website every hour for the past week. I've developed a twitch.

BTW, after combing through your descriptions of your writing samples, I've had quite the flair-up of imposter syndrome. Quick, someone tell me I'm valuable!

Edited by sgc001

2 hours ago, sgc001 said:

Hello, all! I've been lurking for the past few days; I wish I'd known about this place earlier! So I have good news, bad news, okay news, and questions.

• Good news: I was accepted at Kent state with full funding on Monday!
  • Bad news: I was rejected by Michigan State a while back (expected).
  • Okay news: I'm on the wait list at Ohio State. I know some others are, as well. Here's to hoping that everyone ahead of us got offers that were better for them!
  • Question: Has anyone heard from Arizona State (Rhet/Comp)? I've been checking their website every hour for the past week. I've developed a twitch.

BTW, after combing through your descriptions of your writing samples, I've had quite the flair-up of imposter syndrome. Quick, someone tell me I'm valuable!

Hi sgc001, nice to see another rhet/comp person here. Congrats on the acceptance! As for your question, one of the incoming students I met at a prospective student visit day last week had just been accepted to Arizona State. So you might hear from them soon:) 

15 minutes ago, slightlymoreanonymous said:

Congrats on the acceptance! As for your question, one of the incoming students I met at a prospective student visit day last week had just been accepted to Arizona State. So you might hear from them soon:) 

Hi @slightlymoreanonymous! Are you talking about the ASU PhD English (Writing, Rhetorics, and Literacies) program? Is that the one that had the prospective student visit day last week? If so, how did you like the program? What was your impression? 

Edited by Joasia0429

My top choice is University of Florida--has anyone heard from them? I've gotten one acceptance (Illinois State) and one rejection (University of Colorado) and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear more. 

3 hours ago, slightlymoreanonymous said:

Hi sgc001, nice to see another rhet/comp person here. Congrats on the acceptance! As for your question, one of the incoming students I met at a prospective student visit day last week had just been accepted to Arizona State. So you might hear from them soon:) 

Thanks for the welcome and the congrats! I'm the only Rhet/Comp person at my current school, so I'm always glad to see more, too. I'm going to keep prying--do you know if that person had been accepted in ASU's Literature or in Rhet/Comp program? The only results posted on the Results page are for Lit.

I feel so antsy always. It's nice having an acceptance under my belt, though, since it means that I know I'm going somewhere.

Edit: I made it sound like I wasn't ecstatic about my offer from Kent State. I am! I'm dying to work with my POI there!

Edited by sgc001

3 hours ago, Joasia0429 said:

Hi @slightlymoreanonymous! Are you talking about the ASU PhD English (Writing, Rhetorics, and Literacies) program? Is that the one that had the prospective student visit day last week? If so, how did you like the program? What was your impression? 

Hi! Sorry for the confusion, I was at the visit day for University of Louisville's PhD in Rhetoric and Composition last week:) One of the students I met there mentioned he had been accepted to ASU, but was probably turning it down. From everything I've heard though, it's an amazing program! 

13 minutes ago, sgc001 said:

Thanks for the welcome and the congrats! I'm the only Rhet/Comp person at my current school, so I'm always glad to see more, too. I'm going to keep prying--do you know if that person had been accepted in ASU's Literature or in Rhet/Comp program? The only results posted on the Results page are for Lit.

I feel so antsy always. It's nice having an acceptance under my belt, though, since it means that I know I'm going somewhere.

Okay, I totally don't mean to spread mis-information. I'm like 90% positive the student I talked to was referencing the rhet/comp program at ASU, but on further reflection it could have been University of Arizona. It was a long day with a lot of talking haha. Good luck with your applications!