Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
JessicaLange

2017 Acceptances

1,599 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, zombiekeats said:

Thanks for the update! I figured it'd be between the two schools I got into early this season. Now to choose!

Congrats on the acceptances!!! Good luck :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I got into the University of Toronto!!! It was my first choice Canadian school so I am sooo excited! :D

Edited by ThePomoHipster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm new here and wanted to say hello. I'm sorry I'm posting this now, but I wanted to let you guys - especially @BLK1222 and @ShakesRos - know that I did receive an acceptance from Tufts' English Lit PhD program on 2/15/2016 and a rejection from Northeastern's PhD on 2/21/2016. I'm ecstatic because Tufts was one of my top 3 schools - my main fields are Postcolonial Theory & Lit and Global Anglophone Literatures - and they were the first to reach out and put me out of my waiting misery. I am still waiting on the PhD programs from Brandeis, Boston University, and Boston College, so I'll let you know when I hear something. I'm sorry that I don't know what the best thing to do is, but maybe email Tufts to ask since they have made decisions. I hope you all get good news - Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

I got into the University of Toronto!!! It was my first choice Canada school so I am sooo excited! :D

Way to go! That's a very tough nut to crack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Way to go! That's a very tough nut to crack!

Thanks @Wyatt's Terps! I literally had to pinch myself when I found out the results because I couldn't believe it! It probably didn't help that I got the email right when I woke up so I thought I was actually dreaming haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manals said:

Hi, I'm new here and wanted to say hello. I'm sorry I'm posting this now, but I wanted to let you guys - especially @BLK1222 and @ShakesRos - know that I did receive an acceptance from Tufts' English Lit PhD program on 2/15/2016 and a rejection from Northeastern's PhD on 2/21/2016. I'm ecstatic because Tufts was one of my top 3 schools - my main fields are Postcolonial Theory & Lit and Global Anglophone Literatures - and they were the first to reach out and put me out of my waiting misery. I am still waiting on the PhD programs from Brandeis, Boston University, and Boston College, so I'll let you know when I hear something. I'm sorry that I don't know what the best thing to do is, but maybe email Tufts to ask since they have made decisions. I hope you all get good news - Good Luck!

Hi! Congrats on Tufts!!!  I emailed Boston University and the GSC told me they already sent out acceptances. They denied me the PhD, but accepted me into the MA ( which I'm pretty sure they do for everyone, though I could be wrong).  It's crazy that I haven't seen many Tufts notifications or even waitlists. But I'm still holding out hope. Keep in touch and I will do the same! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After waiting through a painful number of rejections, I woke up to an acceptance from the University of Toronto! Absolutely thrilled, and totally in shock since I was already steeling myself to apply again next year.

@ThePomoHipster Congrats to you! Will I see you at the visit day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

After waiting through a painful number of rejections, I woke up to an acceptance from the University of Toronto! Absolutely thrilled, and totally in shock since I was already steeling myself to apply again next year.

@ThePomoHipster Congrats to you! Will I see you at the visit day?

Congrats! I also went through a painful number of rejections before hearing back from UofT so I know exactly how you feel. Yes! I have to take the day off from work but I will try my best to make it to the Visitor's Day! Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the prospective students! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Congrats! I also went through a painful number of rejections before hearing back from UofT so I know exactly how you feel. Yes! I have to take the day off from work but I will try my best to make it to the Visitor's Day! Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the prospective students! :D

Yay! Looking forward to meeting you. I also do post-1945 stuff, so I'm interested to hear about your research interests!

Also, I had mentally categorized it as a rejection, so I'm stunned to have just received notice that I'm waitlisted at Boston University!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, erosanddust said:

Yay! Looking forward to meeting you. I also do post-1945 stuff, so I'm interested to hear about your research interests!

Also, I had mentally categorized it as a rejection, so I'm stunned to have just received notice that I'm waitlisted at Boston University!

Yayy same! Congrats! I'm not sure if I'll stay on the list or not yet, myself. Just relieved to be almost done with decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, englishing said:

They've sent out the invitations and details for the visit day next week, so I imagine this means they've finished notifying. Communication has been generally funky, so things might just be moving slowly over there.

I contacted the DGA because I'm juggling campus visits with tight RSVP timelines and want to make sure I can prioritize UNC if it's an option. Got a quick response that said they're almost done, and that decisions should come out by the end of this week or Monday at the latest. 

 

15 hours ago, CarolineNC said:

 

 

 

I'm pretty sure they haven't notified yet ;) Good luck, everybody! I was in this boat 2 years ago and the waiting was unfun. 

Thanks, there's still hope! fingers crossed!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

Yay! Looking forward to meeting you. I also do post-1945 stuff, so I'm interested to hear about your research interests!

Also, I had mentally categorized it as a rejection, so I'm stunned to have just received notice that I'm waitlisted at Boston University!

Thanks! I look forwarding to meeting you too! I also do post-1945 stuff (yay! same subfield!), and my research is primarily focused on media representations of gender and race (and postmodern texts on this topic)!

Congrats on the waitlist at Boston University as well!

Edited by ThePomoHipster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShakesRos said:

Hi! Congrats on Tufts!!!  I emailed Boston University and the GSC told me they already sent out acceptances. They denied me the PhD, but accepted me into the MA ( which I'm pretty sure they do for everyone, though I could be wrong).  It's crazy that I haven't seen many Tufts notifications or even waitlists. But I'm still holding out hope. Keep in touch and I will do the same! 

2

Thank you! Yes, you're right, it is crazy that there aren't many Tufts notifications. I swear at one point I thought that they accepted me because I was the only applicant, but my husband put a stop to that nonsense.

I'm sorry you didn't get into the BU PhD program, especially since you said it was your top choice. But their MA looks really good and that's a great program to get into. Did you apply to other PhD programs? I wish you luck on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, manals said:

Thank you! Yes, you're right, it is crazy that there aren't many Tufts notifications. I swear at one point I thought that they accepted me because I was the only applicant, but my husband put a stop to that nonsense.

I'm sorry you didn't get into the BU PhD program, especially since you said it was your top choice. But their MA looks really good and that's a great program to get into. Did you apply to other PhD programs? I wish you luck on them.

Hi! Yes I applied to the Tufts and Brandeis PhD programs. I emailed Tufts today, so hopefully I will hear soon. I think Brandies should be notifying this week from what their website says. Fingers crossed for one of them! But, if not then BU MA it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2017 at 9:40 AM, Plantguypete said:

I applied and interviewed with Oklahoma State University, UC Riverside, UC Berkeley, and Yale University for Plant Biology (PhD programs). 

So far I have been offered full admission to Oklahoma State University, UC Riverside, and UC Berkeley; Yale is supposed to release their acceptances tomorrow!

At this point I know that I will be either attending UC Berkeley or Yale University, but the worst part is waiting to hear back about the NSF GRFP!

 

56 minutes ago, Plantguypete said:

Yale DOES DO interviews. For my field (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology), we interviewed in early February. They have been releasing acceptances since mid-February.

As far as Berkeley goes, I received my acceptance from Berkeley on Jan 26th.

Looks like you may be a bit lost -- this is a thread for applicants for programs in English Literature, which has far different application procedures, timelines, etc from the sciences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so I was accepted to NYU's Masters program (denied from the PhD) and I'm really freaking out! NYU was my number one choice--it was actually my number one choice for undergrad too, but I didn't get in then. The problem is that I was also accepted to Fordham and they're giving me sooo much money, full tuition and a generous stipend. NYU I think is offering me 50% tuition (it was kind of vague so I'm waiting for the official letter to get more details). I don't know what to do guys! I told myself that I would absolutely choose Fordham if I got into NYU, but I honestly didn't think I had a shot of getting in so it was easy to say before the decision was made. Help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

Okay so I was accepted to NYU's Masters program (denied from the PhD) and I'm really freaking out! NYU was my number one choice--it was actually my number one choice for undergrad too, but I didn't get in then. The problem is that I was also accepted to Fordham and they're giving me sooo much money, full tuition and a generous stipend. NYU I think is offering me 50% tuition (it was kind of vague so I'm waiting for the official letter to get more details). I don't know what to do guys! I told myself that I would absolutely choose Fordham if I got into NYU, but I honestly didn't think I had a shot of getting in so it was easy to say before the decision was made. Help.

You got into Fordham's PhD program or their MA? If it's their PhD program, I'd definitely take it. Fordham has one of the best financial packages going. There are fit considerations, sure, but I assume you've already thought about those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

You got into Fordham's PhD program or their MA? If it's their PhD program, I'd definitely take it. Fordham has one of the best financial packages going. There are fit considerations, sure, but I assume you've already thought about those. 

Sorry, yeah that was unclear. I got into Fordham's MA and NYU's MA. I'm trying to figure out fit now. I mean, they both have a good focus on what I need, which is why I applied. But I'm trying to sort through and compare their relative strengths and weaknesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

Sorry, yeah that was unclear. I got into Fordham's MA and NYU's MA. I'm trying to figure out fit now. I mean, they both have a good focus on what I need, which is why I applied. But I'm trying to sort through and compare their relative strengths and weaknesses.

Okay, I see. That's definitely a toughie, but I'm sure you'll figure it out :) 

This is the not-so-latent hippie in me speaking: I think if it were me, I'd review my persons of interest and their recent work and really tap into which of them gets me the most excited. Like, meditate on it awhile. Go with your gut. There are a thousand ways to rationalize the decision and everyone is going to tell you different things regarding the facts, but at the end of the day, you know best. Trust your instincts, even if they may not make 100% sense on paper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JessicaLange said:

Sorry, yeah that was unclear. I got into Fordham's MA and NYU's MA. I'm trying to figure out fit now. I mean, they both have a good focus on what I need, which is why I applied. But I'm trying to sort through and compare their relative strengths and weaknesses.

Follow the money. If Fordham is giving you a lot more, go there, but if you'd go deeply in debt even at Fordham, I'd recommend declining and reapplying with a focus on more fully funded MA programs. Search these forums on NYU's MA program and you'll find that it, like UChicago's MAPH, has a very mixed reputation. Cash cow programs can work for some people, but especially if you're not independently wealthy or something, the debt for a humanities degree is not a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW I just received another offer from CU Boulder! They called me!!! They are unable to offer me admission into the PhD program (they only accepted 4 students) but would love to have me in the MA!!! Really thrilled; it was a nice phone call. First phone call of the admissions season and was really terrifying. Funding will be offered later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone want to claim the UDub acceptance?! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got an acceptance email from the University of Washington!! This was the last school I was waiting on and a great fit for my interests so I'm super stoked. :)) offered a first year fellowship as well ah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got rejected for NYU's PhD program but was accepted for the MA. Letter was warm and inviting but as it's only a 50% funded program (not including fees, etc) it's probably out of the cards for me this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RydraWong said:

Just got an acceptance email from the University of Washington!! This was the last school I was waiting on and a great fit for my interests so I'm super stoked. :)) offered a first year fellowship as well ah

Congrats on your acceptance!! :)

Was the email notification personalized? Just trying to feel out if maybe UW is done sending acceptances at this point. It feels like my last shot at an admission this year so I'm pretty much starving for information! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now